Will it be possible and allowed to edit ancestry in the future?

Futuregenetics

Since ancestry is in the past, no. You can't edit your ancestry. If you are related to someone by ancestry, you will always be related to them.

There really isn't a "white" ancestry. There is no "white" region (despite the name, white people did not all come from the Caucasus mountains). You might be referring to a certain area of Europe.

1 hour ago, Futuregenetics said:

Will it be possible and allowed to edit ancestry in the future? Lets say that a person is 95% Asian and 5% White, can a person then edit ancestry so that the person is 100% Asian and 0% White?   

If it would be possible, it would be stupid movement, because diversity in genes is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_drift

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding

Genetic drift in small populations quickly leads to inbreeding.

2 hours ago, Futuregenetics said:

I have a question about ancestry. Will it be possible and allowed to edit ancestry in the future? Lets say that a person is 95% Asian and 5% White, can a person then edit ancestry so that the person is 100% Asian and 0% White?  

Why?

3 hours ago, swansont said:

It might be possible to alter your genetics, but you can never alter your ancestry. If "Randolph the dimwit" is in your family tree, he's always going to be there.

I think the maximum familial separation in DNA terms is 14 generations then it disappears. You have about 20,000 genes which halve in number every generation, in a direct line. Mitochondrial DNA is passed on indefinitely I think but that doesn't carry our information. You can't have more than a 14th great grandmother, cousin etc and it be measurable because there's no common genes to find. If it's recorded historically then that's the only way you'll find out.

Edited by StringJunky

35 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I think the maximum familial separation in DNA terms is 14 generations then it disappears. You have about 20,000 genes which halve in number every generation, in a direct line. Mitochondrial DNA is passed on indefinitely I think but that doesn't carry our information. You can't have more than a 14th great grandmother, cousin etc and it be measurable because there's no common genes to find. If it's recorded historically then that's the only way you'll find out.

There might be no genetic effect, but they are still in the family tree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 2:18 AM, Futuregenetics said:

I meant something like this: Lets say that a person is 95% Asian and 5% White, can a person then edit ancestry so that the person is 100% Asian and 0% White?  

you cant edit race but you can give common traits from that race

You are confusing ancestry with genetics.
One can already be edited, the other is a historical fact.

'Randolph the dimwit' in my family tree ?
Whew !
I'm Italian by birth, and Randolph is not an Italian name.
( although my last name might be French derived )

On 2/12/2019 at 1:33 AM, MigL said:

You are confusing ancestry with genetics.
One can already be edited, the other is a historical fact.

So with ancestry you mean that a person is for example Irish and with genetics you mean that a person is predisposed for certain disceases etc?