Do scientists stick to their laws too much?

darkkazier

i merely asked because it seems very limiting when you try to figure things out, but have to constantly go back to all these rules and laws of physics. I am wondering, if their are any physicists out their who can answer my question? How can you really try and sovle anything if you can't violate the laws of physics and create new ones? I mean has anyone just sat down and said, "maybe you can go faster than light and i'm going to prove how?" sometihng like that.

Yes, but aren't the only way to advance is to look past them? I hear so many people say,"ohh currently our level of understanding is not high enough to solve x problem, or whatever, well my poit is, how can you ever sovle it if you are going to be binded by those very laws that are limiting you?

A martial arts maxim is: "Learn the form. Master the form. Break the form."

I'm still struggling to fully understand it, but I think the point is that ultimately you DO want to break existing rules (the best martial arts style is to have no style). However, without total understanding of the current system, you're just an anarchist hoping to get lucky.

I think the vast majority of us live and die without ever having mastered the system.

I understand how you feel though. I love discovering, but not learning. Learning means memorizing what others have discovered, but discovering transcends existing knowledge and formal structures. It's just you and an idea, left alone to develop your own twists and turns. Learning is pretty boring I think.

A martial arts maxim is: "Learn the form. Master the form. Break the form."

That's not really a martial arts maxim. It's a borrowed teaching from Buddhism. That's probably why you are having trouble.

best martial arts style is to have no style

No, it really isn't.

well i only posed this question because me and my brother and sister got into this argument about the laws of physics because after reading one of his books (he's working on his masters in Theoretical physics and she's a biologist, i got the short end of the brains department, i'm a struggling writer lol) i got this amazing idea for travelling throguh interstellar space, i told him and he laughed and told me not to quit my day job(arrogant SOB lol) and i told him, you're just sayin that cause you live by your silly rules and he laughed again and said so do i. But that's why i posed the question. Oh and if any of you want ot hear my thoughts on interstellar travel i'll be glad to share them, maybe you can tell me if it's possible.

well after going throgu the many books of his i came to the conclusion that space has to be layered and the only way to achieve faster than light speeds is to go "up" into the higher layers of space where the speed that light travels is not the maxium that any object with mass can travel. Kinda like a express toll lane on the highway, where you can pay to go a faster speed than the other lanes. i did some more reading and discovered that my idea of space being layered could be true, after all black holes rip holes into space and they have to lead somewhere right? so i then i thought, what would you need to break through our space(like a blackhole does) and i did more research and discovered something called planck energy, which is supposed to be able to do it.

So, i said to myself, how does a black hole get that much energy, and i saw the key was gravity! It could create enough energy in a small space a tear could be formed in space and you could possibly gain access to the higher dimensions/layers of space. so then i had to think, how can i tear a hole in the fabric of space, and i did more searching and found out that once something reaches lightspeed it gains infinite mass, if that's true then wouldn't infinite mass rip a hole in space? So, if i could get something to lightspeed to achieve infinite mass couldn't i open a hole in space that leads to the higher dimensions that this super string theory talks about, and hence quite possibly enter "a higher layer/hyperspace" and emerge in a distant part of the universe?

Please don't destroy me i am a writer, but i find these type of things very interesting.

wow...

layers? what?

black holes don't necessarily "rip" spacetime

black holes don't necessarily have to go anywhere

a black hole would tear you apart before you get anywhere near it

that is the wrong kind of mass. the kind of mass that creates gravity is invariant

what does string theory have to do with anything?

see, i knew i was all off. I thought string theory talked about higher dimensions, like 12 of them, well it's the same as layers in my mind, and basically you're saying there would have to be a new kind of mass that would not destroy me but also produce the need gravitational effects i want? how can one go about "creating mass?" i thought you couldn't?

the dimensions in string theory are curled up into what are called caliba-yau manifolds.

matter is created all the time. it is known a virtual particles. as long as the net energy i zero, it's all good, iirc.

That's not really a martial arts maxim. It's a borrowed teaching from Buddhism. That's probably why you are having trouble.

Ahh okay, thanks. I've only heard it in reference to martial arts.

No, it really isn't.

What kind of response is that?! I say X and you say, "No, it really isn't." To that I say...Nu-uh you big poopyhead!!!