Thinkpieces about “narrow-minded STEM nerds”

Alfred001

I was reading an article and this bit was in there:

And whenever I read yet another thinkpiece about the problems with “narrow-minded STEM nerds”—how we’re basically narcissistic children, lacking empathy and social skills, etc. etc.

I don't think I've ever read such a think piece and I'm not familiar with what exactly these arguments are.

Could someone link to such an article, if you happen to remember one, or give me a bit more details on what the criticisms are?

Not sure whether there are articles but one thing that seems to appear is that especially certain STEM students come with the assumption that non-STEM education is worthless. Typically that is more common in early-semester students and/or those that (erroneously) view higher education predominantly as vocational training. That particular attitude is viewed by folks from other disciplines as close-minded.

Lack of empathy and social skills may also be a stereotype, but from what I have seen it seems to be one thrown at each other fairly liberally. Though it is usually more about social skills rather than empathy (I mean there is sometimes the odd kid claiming to be pure logical or something but usually they grow out of it eventually).

It's perhaps a bit off topic but I'm reminded of C.P. Snow's Two Cultures lecture.

A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people who, by the standards of the traditional culture, are thought highly educated and who have with considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity at the illiteracy of scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the company how many of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The response was cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is the scientific equivalent of: Have you read a work of Shakespeare's?[5]

I think the majority of humans react emotionally first, then intellectualize the reaction later. For those who study STEM subjects, there's a focus on thinking first that may come off as non-empathetic, cold, and narrow-minded. Add to that, when people react emotionally, they're looking for a reciprocal emotion, not a reasoned explanation.

The deck is stacked against reason and rational thought when a person begins with heavy emotions. One of the hardest social skills to learn is that sometimes people like to lie to themselves, and they don't appreciate anyone pointing out how irrational they're being, so sometimes it's best to smile and say nothing. If we're honest, does that sound like any STEM enthusiasts you know? Staying quiet when someone is wrong about something that matters? I don't think so. 

15 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

For those who study STEM subjects, there's a focus on thinking first that may come off as non-empathetic, cold, and narrow-minded.

I am not sure whether that would a good characterization of the majority of students outside a class setting. I think it really only becomes more visible (often in a negative way) if folks learn a little and think they figured everything out and hence are absolutely correct in what they say. I.e. a hefty dose of Dunning-Kruger before they learn enough to realize their mistake.

2 hours ago, Carrock said:

It's perhaps a bit off topic but I'm reminded of C.P. Snow's Two Cultures lecture.

I was always a bit partial to Gould's view on that matter.

Edit: I probably should say I became partial to Gould's view eventually. The always is a bit of an overstatement if I think back to my youth...

17 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I was always a bit partial to Gould's view on that matter.

Edit: I probably should say I became partial to Gould's view eventually. The always is a bit of an overstatement if I think back to my youth...

I've never reached a definite view... haven't thought about this complex issue enough.

I feel Snow is describing a snobbish attitude that is at a few times and places quite common, but fortunately doesn't seem to do much harm to other people.

The OP is describing the other side i.e. science snobs and the self-harm of their narrow-minded attitudes is much clearer than the self-harm of culture snobs.

5 minutes ago, Carrock said:

I've never reached a definite view... haven't thought about this complex issue enough.

I feel Snow is describing a snobbish attitude that is at a few times and places quite common, but fortunately doesn't seem to do much harm to other people.

The OP is describing the other side i.e. science snobs and the self-harm of their narrow-minded attitudes is much clearer than the self-harm of culture snobs.

Well, I see the quest for knowledge as a multifaceted endeavour of which natural sciences are only one part (and of note, there is a lot of snobbery between engineering and "pure" sciences, too). I always felt that the dichotomy painted by Snow is (unfortunately) compelling yet ultimately meaningless and counter-productive. 

The 'lack of social skills' I certainly agree with.
Us 'sciency' types have always been 'nerds' or 'geeks'.

My niece who studied graphic design and dance, used to call me and my brother, who also studied Physics, 'geeks', but in a loving way.
She used to say "If I give you some wires, can you build me a computer ?"

1 hour ago, MigL said:

The 'lack of social skills' I certainly agree with.
Us 'sciency' types have always been 'nerds' or 'geeks'.

My niece who studied graphic design and dance, used to call me and my brother, who also studied Physics, 'geeks', but in a loving way.
She used to say "If I give you some wires, can you build me a computer ?"

I always wondered how much of that is just down to effects like stereotype threat.