James Watson loses honorary titles after repeating racist statements

Strange

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46856779

Nobel Prize-winning American scientist James Watson has been stripped of his honorary titles after repeating comments about race and intelligence.

Bizarrely:

his son Rufus said Dr Watson's statements "might make him out to be a bigot and discriminatory" but that was not true.

So he repeatedly makes bigoted and discriminatory statements but ... what? He doesn't mean them?

Just goes to show, even Nobel Prize winners can be idiots.

3 minutes ago, fiveworlds said:

Alternatively he could be 90 and suffering from dementia etc? Repeating things heard when young is common in older people.

He is not just repeating things he has heard. He has made these opinions known over many decades.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, Strange said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46856779

Bizarrely:

So he repeatedly makes bigoted and discriminatory statements but ... what? He doesn't mean them?

Just goes to show, even Nobel Prize winners can be idiots.

Science often does discriminate between things. It's also called measurement. I guess that isn't possible when you're surrounded by shrieking Marxist lunatics.

And what's bigoted about making a statement based on an observation? Surely making a statement based on your imaginary and delusional a priori "equality" nonsense is bigoted, i.e. holding a view in the face of evidence to the contrary.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:14 PM, Raider5678 said:

Then he's a racist.

And that's your entire argument for your imaginary "equality" hypothesis. Calling your opponent names. Go science!

Edited by Impressive Science Word

Hopefully I'm not inundated with neg points also, but...
If his opinions are based on experimental data, then, should we not be attacking his experimental methodology ( which may have produced dubious results ), rather than the scientist ?

If we call him a racist, are the scientist who made the 'cold fusion' claim liars ?
Or were they led astray by a bad experiment ?

On 1/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, Strange said:

He is not just repeating things he has heard. He has made these opinions known over many decades.

He had indeed a long history of racist and sexist remarks/behaviour and there are stories abound. He was just too influential to have any consequences (even if he made those statements publicly). 

If his opinions are based on experimental data, then, should we not be attacking his experimental methodology ( which may have produced dubious results ), rather than the scientist ?

If we call him a racist, are the scientist who made the 'cold fusion' claim liars ?

Note that he was not simply referring to data, but engaged in selective overinterpretation in an area outside of his expertise. Moreover, he also made a number of racist statements (the infamous "melanin increases libido" claim) which simply has no basis whatsoever. Taken together with the consistency of it, it is rather obvious that he comes from a racist (and sexist) mindset and selectively utilizes (or makes up) data/observations to justify them. 

3 hours ago, Impressive Science Word said:

Science often does discriminate between things. It's also called measurement. I guess that isn't possible when you're surrounded by shrieking Marxist lunatics.

And what's bigoted about making a statement based on an observation? Surely making a statement based on your imaginary and delusional a priori "equality" nonsense is bigoted, i.e. holding a view in the face of evidence to the contrary.

!

Moderator Note

Defense of his position is off-topic 

2 hours ago, MigL said:

!

Moderator Note

Also off-topic. We aren’t discussing his opinions, we’re discussing the loss of honorary titles

!

Moderator Note

Trash posts have been split off to the trash. Anyone wishing to try and justify bigotry may do so somewhere else.

Posts not addressing the topic of the OP will be removed from view

• 5 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.