The Border Wall or Fence

Airbrush

President Trump on Thursday backed down from his threat to close the southern border immediately, telling reporters at the White House that he is giving Mexico a “one-year warning” before taking action.

Trump had said he would close the border, or at least large sections of it, this week if Mexico does not halt illegal immigration into the United States.

But in Thursday’s exchange with reporters, Trump shifted gears, saying that if Mexico does not make progress on stemming the flow of drugs and migrants into the United States within the next year, he will impose tariffs on cars and close the border.

“We’re going to give them a one-year warning, and if the drugs don’t stop or largely stop, we’re going to put tariffs on Mexico and products, particularly cars. . . . And if that doesn’t stop the drugs, we close the border,” Trump said. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-backs-off-threat-to-close-southern-border-immediately-says-hell-give-mexico-one-year-warning-on-drugs-migrants/2019/04/04/5fd35dfa-56f6-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html?utm_term=.87763225367c

Should this situation still be considered a national emergency if we can wait a year to act? 

Sooooo...
I shouldn't get a tan this summer or I'll be denied entry into the US ?
( and when they see my latin-sounding name, MigL, I'm really in trouble )

Edited by MigL

1 hour ago, MigL said:

Sooooo...
I shouldn't get a tan this summer or I'll be denied entry into the US ?
( and when they see my latin-sounding name, MigL, I'm really in trouble )

Obviously that is somewhat tongue in cheek, but I do know of colleagues with Mexican passports but valid work visas who had trouble re-entering for unclear reasons. Though obviously having a Canadian passport would trump that issue (I imagine, at least). Also there is the weird difference between European brown and Latin American (or middle Eastern brown), which has changed over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently Trump was making his argument for his "wall."  Somehow his wall will keep out very dangerous gangsters. 

About the asylum seekers, Trump said that a big, tough-looking guy CLAIMED he needed asylum because he was in fear for his life, fearful of the gangsters in his country.  Trump scoffs at the idea saying "...and he looks like he just stepped out of the ring" meaning he was a big, tough-looking guy, looking like a pro wrestler.  In Trump's 8-year-old mind, a big tough-looking guy has nothing to worry about.  Just the opposite is reality.  A big, tough-looking guy would be a primary target for gangsters trying to recruit him.  No matter how "big and tough-looking" a guy is, he is no match for a large number of gang members who carry guns.  This shows the infantile reasoning of the president, another example of poor judgment, and unfitness for office.  But since he is the "pro wrestler" of politics and the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment), which is more popular in the US than the World Series of Baseball, he has those fans behind him no matter what, even if he "shoots someone on fifth avenue."

Edited by Airbrush

• CharonY locked and unlocked this topic