Cookies nonsense and other changes

Why do I have to be pestered with this cookie nonsense every time I look on the forum now?

Surely accepting the cookies once should be enough.

And is anyone going to tell us about the changes to the site.

Who knows some of them might actually be useful to users.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Why do I have to be pestered with this cookie nonsense every time I look on the forum now?

Surely accepting the cookies once should be enough.

And is anyone going to tell us about the changes to the site.

Who knows some of them might actually be useful to users.

Does your browser clear cookies on exit or not accept them? You need to create an exception if it does either. Annoyingly, it is EU law that acceptance is required. Maybe it's just started complying with this update.

Edited by StringJunky

2 hours ago, studiot said:

..because of ridiculous regulations made by incompetent politicians in EU forcing web designers to ask user to allow cookies.. ?

...and remembrance of this setting is stored in.. cookies (it's only sensible place to store such things)..

If somebody would answer "no, I don't want cookies ever!" would be asked this question "forever", as there is no other place to store such things than cookies (without registration and logging, which... also needs cookies to store session id)..

If competent programmers would become politicians they would never make such law, as they would since the beginning see ridiculousness of it..

"Cookies" = "temporary volatile local website data"

ps. Yes, I have the same on smartphone browser. I am not registered nor logged on it. On computer I am logged as user.

Edited by Sensei

5 minutes ago, Sensei said:

"Cookies" = "temporary volatile local client website data"

There is nothing in the definition that says they are temporary or volatile. 

5 minutes ago, Sensei said:

If competent programmers would become politicians

The only group of people that would be more dangerous in that job than current politicians! :) 

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

There is nothing in the definition that says they are temporary or volatile.  

How many times did you use cookies from website code.. ? There is possible to set expiration date..

http://php.net/manual/en/function.setcookie.php

"expires (...) If set to 0, or omitted, the cookie will expire at the end of the session (when the browser closes). "

To have cookie non-temporary or non-volatile programmer has to set ridiculous high expiration date (e.g. in years)..

Edited by Sensei

38 minutes ago, Sensei said:

because of ridiculous regulations made by incompetent politicians in EU

Did you respond to the consultation on it?

33 minutes ago, Sensei said:

To have cookie non-temporary or non-volatile programmer has to set ridiculous high expiration date (e.g. in years)..

... which is a trivially simple thing to do.

No, it really would have been smarter to do something like require browsers to clear cookies by default instead.

With how it is now most are going to cave under the endless barrage of cookie policy notices.

Might be a script already that will automatically accept but would place the onus on the user.

I'm in the habit of doing a thorough cleaning of cookies ( and other assorted crap ) everytime I shut down.
And I use about four different computers depending on where I am in the house.

That means everytime  I come back to SFn ( or Modern Military Aviation at Key Publishing Forums, for the last year ), I get the annoying message about cookies.
Its a pain in the a*s, but you learn to live with it.

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

I'm in the habit of doing a thorough cleaning of cookies ( and other assorted crap ) every time I shut down.

Isn't easier to use e.g. Firefox private window.. ? It's not storing cookies after closing application..

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

It wouldn't help.

That is likely true.

Might open up some options though and end result would be the site legally could stop pestering Studiot.

47 minutes ago, MigL said:

I'm in the habit of doing a thorough cleaning of cookies ( and other assorted crap ) everytime I shut down.
And I use about four different computers depending on where I am in the house.

That means everytime  I come back to SFn ( or Modern Military Aviation at Key Publishing Forums, for the last year ), I get the annoying message about cookies.
Its a pain in the a*s, but you learn to live with it.

Yeah, depending on the browser I use I have the same problem.

Edited by Endy0816

Thanks for all the replies, too many to comment on individually, but the thread has provided an opportunity to air different views and experiences.

I will pick out a few comments.

I presume the survey you referred to was an EU survey not a forum one.
Either way this is the first I have heard of it so I didn't respond.
That's exactly it " no one told me" +1 Mman.

The annoyance has only been happening for a few days.

Unfortunately cookies, though they can be used in a benign manner, they are like visitors to my house.

Some behave themselves properly, some don't want to follow my house rules and some are simply there for no good.

So to avoid the latter I wonder in simply banning cookies is the answer.

Edited by studiot

8 minutes ago, studiot said:

I presume the survey you referred to was an EU survey not a forum one.
Either way this is the first I have heard of it so I didn't respond.

Most EU legislation is subject to a consultation process before it is enacted.
https://ec.europa.eu/info/consultations_en?order_by_status=All&field_core_topics_target_id_entityreference_filter=369

If you don't like the sort of things they do, but you don't even look to see what they are doing...

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

If you don't like the sort of things they do, but you don't even look to see what they are doing...

That's media's job to highlight ludicrous ideas and laws-to-be, gather independent experts opinions and bring them to bigger public attention..

10 hours ago, Sensei said:

That's media's job to highlight ludicrous ideas and laws-to-be, gather independent experts opinions and bring them to bigger public attention..

Like the media (apparently), I don't see GDPR as "ludicrous". 

What bits of it do you see as a problem?

10 hours ago, Sensei said:

As the media are not even capable of reporting accurately on issues like Brexit, nor challenging the lies of politicians about it, you have implausibly high expectations of them.