What's your favorite invention and/or discovery in human history and why?

Itoero

13 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

The computer. Because it's potential is practically unlimited.

The computer and most of the technical advances, and inventions in the 20th/21st century, would not be possible without the discovery of electricity.

1 minute ago, beecee said:

The computer and most of the technical advances, and inventions in the 20th/21st century, would not be possible without the discovery of electricity.

True dat, but the same could be said about many (or maybe all) other inventions. I could choose one thing, and I chose the puter.

18 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Writing, because it gave ideas a new life.

And i like writing.

Beat me to it. What is amazing is that it has only been invented 3 or 4 times. And what is surprising is that it seems that people have always been reluctant to extend it beyond its initial symbolic form to create a full writing system.

Also, writing allows knowledge to be transmitted efficiently so that we can develop computers, hearing aids and all the rest! (And, arguably, without being able to write things down, the concept of "information" and communication that is central to computing, might never have occurred.)

I'd also vote for writing. A definite leap from oral traditions that led to an increase in overall intelligence, which made all our other traits that much better.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:25 AM, Itoero said:

Wheels.

I like to run in them.

I think you mean "heels". And congratulations, I don't see how you do it! Especially the stilettos!

4 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I'd also vote for writing. A definite leap from oral traditions that led to an increase in overall intelligence, which made all our other traits that much better.

one could argue that was due to the printer.

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I think you mean "heels". And congratulations, I don't see how you do it! Especially the stilettos!

I'm a hamster.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, Externet said:

Telephone.

Avoids having to use wheels

pigeons

14 minutes ago, naitche said:

In 40 degree heat since Christmas without one, Refrigeration looks pretty good ATM.

A good case has been made that it was the development of air conditioning that enabled large parts of the world to get involved in commerce and industry. 

10 hours ago, Strange said:

A good case has been made that it was the development of air conditioning that enabled large parts of the world to get involved in commerce and industry. 

Its not hard to see how with the food and medicines I've had to compost or dispose of and the physical demands .

I was thinking of what makes me most happy in my day to day life and I would have to say art

I realised that the games I like to play or the things I like to watch are all somehow connected to art. (nothing sophisticated or pretentious) 

I paint as a hobby in my free time while listening to music and I love watching beautifully made visual documentaries - all art connected I would say.