The speed change of Oumuamua

peglerbc

I have a theory on why the speed changed on  Oumuamua. The object was observed to change speed which is seen as something only intelligent life forms can do,But if Oumuamua were lighter on one side then it may speed up because of light particles pushing off of it.If one side was darker it would absorb light which would slow it down.

Maybe i'm wrong i don't know. 

You are thinking of radiation pressure where the pressure would be higher on the lighter side. The prevailing theory about this object seems to be that it is actually  a comet and it is the outgassing as it neared the sun that caused the anomaly.

The team, led by Marco Micheli (European Space Agency) explored several scenarios to explain the faster-than-predicted speed of this peculiar interstellar visitor. The most likely explanation is that `Oumuamua is venting material from its surface due to solar heating — a behaviour known as outgassing [2]. The thrust from this ejected material is thought to provide the small but steady push that is sending `Oumuamua hurtling out of the Solar System faster than expected — as of 1 June 2018  it is traveling at roughly 114 000 kilometres per hour.

Such outgassing is a behaviour typical for comets and contradicts the previous classification of `Oumuamua as an interstellar asteroid. “We think this is a tiny, weird comet,” commented Marco Micheli. “We can see in the data that its boost is getting smaller the farther away it travels from the Sun, which is typical for comets.”

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1820/

3 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

You are thinking of radiation pressure where the pressure would be higher on the lighter side. The prevailing theory about this object seems to be that it is actually  a comet and it is the outgassing as it neared the sun that caused the anomaly.

thank you

• 6 months later...

It is a shame we could not intercept this object before it left our solar system. Perhaps, some day, we will have a craft or probe capable of catching up to it. Then we can collect needed data for it's composition. 

I am aware there was much optimism of it being alien created. It appears our limited observation ability yielded no overwhelming evidence for that conclusion though:(

9 minutes ago, The Shadow said:

It is a shame we could not intercept this object before it left our solar system. Perhaps, some day, we will have a craft or probe capable of catching up to it. Then we can collect needed data for it's composition. 

I am aware there was much optimism of it being alien created. It appears our limited observation ability yielded no overwhelming evidence for that conclusion though:(

We should ask Elon if we can borrow his car, and just drive there! Couldn't we just get its composition from telescopes like they do with planets?

My understanding is science uses spectrographs to analyze light from other stars. Then they infer composition of orbiting planets...I think anyway. Perhaps not enough light reflected off of Oumuamua to analyze? I am not solid here with my speculation...need a refresher course (read more).

I like your ideas though. Especially Elon. He gets things done!

17 minutes ago, The Shadow said:

My understanding is science uses spectrographs to analyze light from other stars. Then they infer composition of orbiting planets...I think anyway. Perhaps not enough light reflected off of Oumuamua to analyze? I am not solid here with my speculation...need a refresher course (read more).

You can use emission or absorption spectroscopy if the source is emitting light (e.g. a star, which is incandescent), but for a cold, dark object that's a much harder proposition.