Belousov-Zhabotinsky Reaction

DhruvSujatha

The Belousov-Zhabotinsky Reaction is an ocillating chemical reaction. The reaction really fascinates me as it is a very strange and interesting one. I would love to recreate it someday but the reactants required to do this reaction are:

1. Very expensive.(Malonic Acid)

2. Not commonly avaliable.(Ferroin)

Is there any other substitute to Malonic Acid and the Phenanthroline Ferrous Sulphate as I am unable to obtain them. Are these reactants absolutely mandatory for this reaction?

The equation for this reaction is:

3CH2(CO2H)2 + 4BrO3 → 4Br + 9CO2 + 6H2O

Here is an image of this reaction.

Please do help me out.

Thanks

images (1).jpeg

Sorry I posted this on inorganic chemistry section. I will change it now

A chemical institute, university or company should can buy it at several chemical supplier. Ferroin is a common redox indicator for determin iron II/III. We used it in our lab. Malonic acid should be also not so seldom.

Substitutes I dont know.

Other occilator reaction is the iodine clock. The chemicals maybe easier to obtain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_clock_reaction

16 minutes ago, chenbeier said:

A chemical institute, university or company should can buy it at several chemical supplier. Ferroin is a common redox indicator for determin iron II/III. We used it in our lab. Malonic acid should be also not so seldom.

Substitutes I dont know.

Other occilator reaction is the iodine clock. The chemicals maybe easier to obtain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_clock_reaction

I have tried out the iodine clock reaction. It was super cool. I wanted to try out the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction just for those concentric circles. I will definitely try and obtain Ferroin. Malonic Acid is very expensive and I don't really have the right knowledge to judge if the price is correct.

At my place, 5g costs about $40 dollars.

Thanks for your help,much appreciated!