Air Compression

Dorian

I wanted to figure out what would happen if we would take 500 cubic Km of air and compress it to a 1 cubic meter cube. How big will the explosion be? Will the compressed air turn liquid or solid? Is there any way of figuring that out? (if it is not possible to calculate that with the air on our athmosfere then lets say its pure oxigen)

1 hour ago, Dorian said:

I wanted to figure out what would happen if we would take 500 cubic Km of air

Do you mean 500 km3 or (500 km)?

1 hour ago, Dorian said:

How big will the explosion be?

Depends how you release the pressure. If you do it slowly, there will be no explosion.

13 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

What does 500 cubic KM of air weigh?

Either 6x1011 kg (more than the total mass of humans on the planet) or 1.6x1017 kg (about the same density as a neutron star).

The total mass of the Earth's atmosphere is about 5x1018 kg.

Comparisons from this handy page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(mass) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(density)?oldid=737637927

the density of all that air squashed in one cubic meter is 650000000000kg per cubic meter.Will it all explode if it releases instantly? Or it will colapse into something? Oh yeah and im refering to 500cubic meters not (500km) to the power of 3

Could we compare it to the hiroshima atomic bomb

Edited by Dorian

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Yes.

For example, it is less real than the Bomb.

yeah thanks that helped

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

An instantaneous (or, at least, rapid) release of pressure is pretty much the definition of an explosion.

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

An instantaneous (or, at least, rapid) release of pressure is pretty much the definition of an explosion.

I know why tf did I even said that