Is there a way to convert the earth’s magnetic field into usable electricity?

DARK0717

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Gravity pulls things down. So what is driving the circulation?

The extremely high pressure down there.
The pipe's made strong enough to withstand it, so there's less pressure inside it, than outside it. Therefore it acts as a pressure release, sending water upwards.

Maybe it won't work, but as long as it hasn't been tried - who knows?

16 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

The pipe's made strong enough to withstand it, so there's less pressure inside it, than outside it.

Why is there less pressure inside it?

Try sticking a straw in a glass of water: does the water come out of the top of the straw?

17 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

That is not how science works.

9 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

Having a theory and testing it, is not how science works?

That is how science works. Just trying random things, is not.

We have a theory about the pressure in a pipe in water. It has been tested. Your idea will not work. Science.

Just now, Strange said:

That is how science works. Just trying random things, is not.

We have a theory about the pressure in a pipe in water. It has been tested. Your idea will not work. Science.

Okay. Thanks! Now I wont have to waste more time on that.

1 minute ago, John Cuthber said:

Having a random idea, that's known to be contrary to all that science has discovered before, then calling it a "theory" is not how science works.

No need to get nasty :P

3 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

If you think I am "blunt", try reality.

It makes no attempt to let you down gently. It just carries on doing what it always did; without any regard to your feelings or beliefs.

Only we can make reality a more pleasant experience. Why not try? It's free.

• 2 weeks later...

@Strange    RE:   "A magnetic field is generated by a changing electric current."

This would imply that no magnetic field exists around a conductor carrying a constant direct current. 

Is that so? My Electric Theory course in Freshman High School provided an experiment in which powdered iron arranged itself allowing us to "see" magnetic lines of force about a current carrying conductor. 

On board ship, my co-worker, ex-Navy, told of D.C. welding cables lying on the steel hull doing all sorts of dances at times.

1 hour ago, tinkerer said:

@Strange    RE:   "A magnetic field is generated by a changing electric current."

This would imply that no magnetic field exists around a conductor carrying a constant direct current. 

Is that so? My Electric Theory course in Freshman High School provided an experiment in which powdered iron arranged itself allowing us to "see" magnetic lines of force about a current carrying conductor. 

On board ship, my co-worker, ex-Navy, told of D.C. welding cables lying on the steel hull doing all sorts of dances at times.

You are quite right. I should have said “... by a moving charge [such as an electric current]”

On 1/1/2019 at 1:43 AM, QuantumT said:

The pipe's made strong enough to withstand it, so there's less pressure inside it, than outside it. Therefore it acts as a pressure release, sending water upwards.

i think what u shouldve gone with is lining the pipe with piezoelectric objects, I've read piezoelectric is like the higher the pressure, the more electricity comes out of the element like quartz I think, anyways, this is out of my expertise or knowledge.

5 hours ago, Strange said:

You are quite right. I should have said “... by a moving charge [such as an electric current]”

then that would prove what I said that magnetism and electrcity always come together, it's simply just moving one or the other to get the other. eg "cut"the field with a magnet or coil then u get electrcty, move electricity and u get a field.

3 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

then that would prove what I said that magnetism and electrcity always come together, it's simply just moving one or the other to get the other. eg "cut"the field with a magnet or coil then u get electrcty, move electricity and u get a field.

Correct. And special relativity explains why they are the same thing. 

7 hours ago, Strange said:

Correct. And special relativity explains why they are the same thing. 

so, back to the original question since weve got the fundamentals of magnetism layed down. Can such a device be built to quite literally suck in or funnel the Earths magnetic field or even fields from magnets and get usable electricity out of it?

12 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

so, back to the original question since weve got the fundamentals of magnetism layed down. Can such a device be built to quite literally suck in or funnel the Earths magnetic field or even fields from magnets and get usable electricity out of it?

This has been kinda tried, read below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tether_missions

Projections indicated that the motion of the long conducting tether through the Earth’s magnetic field would produce an EMF that would drive a current through the tether system.

Turn's out it's a really inefficient way to produce energy.

PS:  I just read about this today! :P

16 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

You would need to find some way of moving the conductor through the magnetic field. Silvestri shows one example. Not exactly an economical way of generating power. But if a satellite is already using a tether for some other purpose, you could get a bit of extra power from it.

Otherwise you could use some source of energy (hydroelectric, steam turbine) to rotate a wire or coil. But the Earth's magnetic field is very weak, so a generator like that would be much more efficient if you put a large magnet in it!

But, no, you can't "suck in the magnetic field".

6 minutes ago, Strange said:

Yes. Sorry I kind off implied that in my example.
Also if someone would hypothetically use "a device to quite literally suck in or funnel the Earths magnetic field"  it would probably have tragic consequences!
#MarsRemembers

11 hours ago, Silvestru said:

Yes. Sorry I kind off implied that in my example.
Also if someone would hypothetically use "a device to quite literally suck in or funnel the Earths magnetic field"  it would probably have tragic consequences!
#MarsRemembers

lol yea, imagine all the magnetic field of the earth just sucked dry. But even so, laws of thermodynamics, the energy u get from the funneling will just return back to the atmospher at one point in its energy form to another energy form cycle.

I see.

I asked this question because ive been quite intruiged about the Zero Point Energy generator scams all use magnets. I just wondered that what if zpe isnt really energy from nowhere but actual magnetic fields. Well thanks for answering me, maybe extracting neodymium fields couldve be sufficient since its got a really strong magnetism.

If thats the case, does magnetism ever run out? or does it get consumed and not go back to being a field, i find it highly unlikely like the earth's field which if its the case then funneling tremendous amounts of weak fields will stack up to a sufficient amount to be usable and the cycle of energy going back to being a field and the cycle continuous. Plus, if its that weak, how does it protect us from the Sun's harm? 

Edited by DARK0717

On 1/9/2019 at 8:41 AM, Strange said:

You would need to find some way of moving the conductor through the magnetic field. Silvestri shows one example. Not exactly an economical way of generating power. But if a satellite is already using a tether for some other purpose, you could get a bit of extra power from it.

Otherwise you could use some source of energy (hydroelectric, steam turbine) to rotate a wire or coil. But the Earth's magnetic field is very weak, so a generator like that would be much more efficient if you put a large magnet in it!

One of my instructors long ago suggested that in understanding an electron's dropping down to a higher energy level, which results in ejection of a photon, think of light  emission as being caused by "successive suck-ins". One never forgets such an illustrious explanation.

6 hours ago, tinkerer said:

One never forgets such an illustrious explanation.

One never ceases to be misled by bad analogies

On 1/10/2019 at 4:36 AM, DARK0717 said:

I just wondered that what if zpe isnt really energy from nowhere but actual magnetic fields.

Zero point energy is not "energy from nowhere". It is just the lowest energy level in a vacuum which, because of quantum effects, is not quite zero.

If thats the case, does magnetism ever run out?

The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the rotation of the core. If that stops then the magnetic field will, presumably, disappear.

A permanent magnet will not "run out" because it is not expending any energy to maintain the magnetic field.

i find it highly unlikely like the earth's field which if its the case then funneling tremendous amounts of weak fields will stack up to a sufficient amount to be usable

Which bit of "you can't funnel magnetism" do you not understand?

Plus, if its that weak, how does it protect us from the Sun's harm? 

The solar wind is very thin. 

12 hours ago, Strange said:

One never ceases to be misled by bad analogies

Zero point energy is not "energy from nowhere". It is just the lowest energy level in a vacuum which, because of quantum effects, is not quite zero.

The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the rotation of the core. If that stops then the magnetic field will, presumably, disappear.

A permanent magnet will not "run out" because it is not expending any energy to maintain the magnetic field.

Which bit of "you can't funnel magnetism" do you not understand?

The solar wind is very thin. 

oh ok I see, thanks!