What are your opinions on the concept "Time Travel"?

Department-Of-Time-Travel

Time is just a concept made by man, so would it be possible to travel in back in time? The answer is no. But there are rifts, these rifts being... Black and White holes. Though traveling back in time is considered impossible, Traveling forward might just be possible. Black holes are singularities with gravity that can pull things in the hole at extreme speeds. White holes are considered the exit point of a black hole. If humans were to find a way to construct a ship strong enough to withstand the gravitational force and the debris of space, it could work. This is what I think. Please give me your opinions on both time travel and my theory. P.S. Please don't shut me down too hard as i'm only 15. I worked really hard to think of this possibility so any help will work.

The theory is that you could enter a black hole and be sent forward in time. This may be explained in the future but this is all i have so far.

Black holes are huge masses of matter that have been subjected to immense pressure at the middle of supernova explosions. The forces were incredible enough to degenerate the normal electrons and neutrons in the matter so it collapsed to a black hole state. There is no exit from this state once gravity overwhelms all other forces. The degenerate matter is tiny but still has its original mass, so spacetime geometry near it is extremely distorted. 

Once you go past the event horizon of a black hole, you have a single, inevitable destination that no amount of energy can change. Matter can't help but move to join the degenerate matter (the singularity). You could argue that once past the event horizon, there is no other future available to you.

I wouldn't say white holes are "considered" anything. There's no evidence currently to support their existence. There are some interesting arguments, but nothing approaching a theory, afaik.

Rifts are more science fiction than science. A black hole isn't a rift, it's degenerate matter we observe to have extreme gravitational properties. Think geometry rather than holes in space.

The reason that backwards travel is considered impossible, is because it would require reversed entropy. So it would demand braking all matter in its current flow, and making it go backwards in the same path. Not alone would that require an unimaginable amount of energy, but also be practically impossible to actually make its reversed flow follow that path.

Forward is more simple. You just need to get close enough to the event horizon of a black hole, where time is running much slower, but not beyond, where your atoms would be torn apart.

White holes are only theoretical. There is no evidence they exist.

7 minutes ago, Department-Of-Time-Travel said:

Thanks For Your Opinion...

It's not an opinion. It's what we observe.

8 minutes ago, Department-Of-Time-Travel said:

You kinda shut me down hard though. 

I did the easy part of correcting mistakes. I didn't mean to make it "hard" (we attack ideas here, not people). It's all about filling in the gaps in our knowledge with the right things.

9 minutes ago, Department-Of-Time-Travel said:

But science is science, and all the proof points that it is not possible.

Evidence, not "proof". All the evidence supports the mainstream view of black holes and time travel. Science isn't about proving anything. It's all about the current best supported explanations.

Time travel into the future is easy and achieved everyday. A person that takes a trip on a jet plane for a day, will have his time both mechanically and biologically move slower then his stay at home relatives. Which means that when he returns he will have aged less then his relatives. The effect though is very tiny and only becomes noticable as one approaches relativistic velocity. eg: If you and I were twins, and you being the more intrepid of us, took off in a space ship travelling at 99.999% 'c' returning 12 months later as recorded by your ships mechanical clocks, and your own biological clock, you would be returning to an Earth where 223 years had passed and me long since dead and buried.

This in actual fact is why time travel into the past is probably impossible, as one would need to travel FTL or exceed "c", which is forbidden.

Likewise and as others have mentioned, gravity also slows time, such that if someone approached the EH of a BH, his time relative to someone at some distance from the BH, would be slowed, such that when that person returned, he also would be returning to a frame where time has been passing much faster.

37 minutes ago, beecee said:

Time travel into the future is easy and achieved everyday. A person that takes a trip on a jet plane for a day, will have his time both mechanically and biologically move slower then his stay at home relatives.

It's not quite that simple. It depends on their speed, altitude and direction of travel. The earth is not an inertial frame, so the people on it are not at rest, even according to an inertial frame that is moving along with the earth (for short times, such that we can approximate the earth as moving in a straight line). When you travel west, you are moving slower than an earth-bound person, relative to that inertial frame, and that means time is passing faster for you. Circumnavigation E or W at negligible speed on the geoid will make you gain or lose a little over 200 ns, depending on which way you go.

Travel at altitude means you have climbed out of the earth's potential well by some amount, which makes time pass faster for you as well. 

1 hour ago, QuantumT said:

The reason that backwards travel is considered impossible, is because it would require reversed entropy.

No, that's not really it. Entropy can be decreased locally, as long as it increases somewhere else. This argument only demonstrates that it would not happen spontaneously.

37 minutes ago, swansont said:

No, that's not really it. Entropy can be decreased locally, as long as it increases somewhere else. This argument only demonstrates that it would not happen spontaneously.

Not talking about decreased entropy, but reversed. Rewind and erase.

8 minutes ago, Itoero said:

We constantly travel in the future else we would not 'evolve'.

That's like saying the Earth is a spaceship, because it supports life and moves through space :D

17 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

That's like saying the Earth is a spaceship, because it supports life and moves through space :D

No. I actually learned it  on another forum and it makes a lot of sense. Several people from this forum were also on the other forum.

We constantly travel trough time...you can check that on your watch.

1 minute ago, Itoero said:

No. I actually learned it  on another forum and it makes a lot of sense. Several people from this forum were also on the other forum.

We constantly travel trough time...you can check that on your watch.

Yes, but it has very little to do with the concept of time travel.

2 hours ago, swansont said:

It's not quite that simple. It depends on their speed, altitude and direction of travel. The earth is not an inertial frame, so the people on it are not at rest, even according to an inertial frame that is moving along with the earth (for short times, such that we can approximate the earth as moving in a straight line). When you travel west, you are moving slower than an earth-bound person, relative to that inertial frame, and that means time is passing faster for you. Circumnavigation E or W at negligible speed on the geoid will make you gain or lose a little over 200 ns, depending on which way you go.

Travel at altitude means you have climbed out of the earth's potential well by some amount, which makes time pass faster for you as well. 

Yep, OK, was aware of that actually, albeit not in such fine detail. 

This paper is about the possibility of time travel through the geodesics of vacuum solutions.https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.03035.pdf

There is this theory that you can’t get entangled without a wormhole.http://news.mit.edu/2013/you-cant-get-entangled-without-a-wormhole-1205 A wormhole is a speculative structure linking disparate points in spacetime. Are wormholes basically timemachines?

If anyone had the ability to time travel they could acquire great wealth and power.  They could maintain their wealth and power because they could always hide what they were doing by going back in time and removing evidence.  They would know exactly what is going to happen and react accordingly.  Maybe aliens from UFOs are time travelers.

Did anyone read any books about the Montauk Project?  If so do you have an opinion about them?  I read a few of them.

https://www.de173.com/the-montauk-project/

Edited by Airbrush