Diabetes and fasting

Hello,

This topic is becoming a hobby fascination of mine and I've been reading a fair amount of literature on it, which naturally gives rise to some questions.

I have recently realised through a simple BG meter I inherited from my T2 diabetes mum, that my BG levels are slightly higher than what is considered to be normal. It seems to be exclusive to when I am fasting. I say this because on numerous occasions I have eaten the barely-imaginable filth that would cause BG's to rocket in just about anyone and tested my BG's within the hour only to find that it is still below 8mmol/l, whereas while fasting, I can get readings ranging between 6-7mmol/l (once it was 7.9 in the early hours of the morning 6-7am).

I initially put this down to insulin resistance, or a combination of other metabolic syndromes that I'm not fully aware of. To put things into context, my height is 190cm, I weigh ~90kg (BMI is around 25, but I'm more muscular than average) and I am around 15-18% bodyfat (at a guess). The only sign I show of having any metabolic issues is a persistent layer of subcutaneous fat hanging off my belly that has never seemed to go away, even when I went down to 85kg and was around 12% BF. I run long distances and have completed a marathon and I do cardio every single day in the form of biking, while maintaining gym visits for weight training at least 3 times a week.

Now in terms of the fasting, I have sometimes extended these fasts to 3 days at a time, drinking 0 calorie liquids and occasionally topping up my electrolytes and keeping my exercise at the same level as I would while not fasting. While I feel absolutely great by the 3rd day (ketosis, I tell myself, my definitely be highly active by then) I still manage to have BG readings of 6mmol/l. I definitely see changes in my BF visually by the 3rd day, and if I extend it further I would see alot more.

My question is, while I do not mind going for long periods without food, is this fasting practice actually doing my pre-diabetic state any favours? It may be important to point out that I am a habitual breakfast skipper too, and I've read various things in the medical literature about this practice inducing some kind of metabolic syndrome, but I don't understand the underlying physiological argument/basis for this. Can anyone also shed any light on this?

Sorry I realise my questions aren't totally direct but I was hoping to start off a discussion to help my knowledge along with certain issues related to this topic.

45 minutes ago, invasion said:

Hello,

This topic is becoming a hobby fascination of mine and I've been reading a fair amount of literature on it, which naturally gives rise to some questions.

I have recently realised through a simple BG meter I inherited from my T2 diabetes mum, that my BG levels are slightly higher than what is considered to be normal. It seems to be exclusive to when I am fasting. I say this because on numerous occasions I have eaten the barely-imaginable filth that would cause BG's to rocket in just about anyone and tested my BG's within the hour only to find that it is still below 8mmol/l, whereas while fasting, I can get readings ranging between 6-7mmol/l (once it was 7.9 in the early hours of the morning 6-7am).

I initially put this down to insulin resistance, or a combination of other metabolic syndromes that I'm not fully aware of. To put things into context, my height is 190cm, I weigh ~90kg (BMI is around 25, but I'm more muscular than average) and I am around 15-18% bodyfat (at a guess). The only sign I show of having any metabolic issues is a persistent layer of subcutaneous fat hanging off my belly that has never seemed to go away, even when I went down to 85kg and was around 12% BF. I run long distances and have completed a marathon and I do cardio every single day in the form of biking, while maintaining gym visits for weight training at least 3 times a week.

Now in terms of the fasting, I have sometimes extended these fasts to 3 days at a time, drinking 0 calorie liquids and occasionally topping up my electrolytes and keeping my exercise at the same level as I would while not fasting. While I feel absolutely great by the 3rd day (ketosis, I tell myself, my definitely be highly active by then) I still manage to have BG readings of 6mmol/l. I definitely see changes in my BF visually by the 3rd day, and if I extend it further I would see alot more.

My question is, while I do not mind going for long periods without food, is this fasting practice actually doing my pre-diabetic state any favours? It may be important to point out that I am a habitual breakfast skipper too, and I've read various things in the medical literature about this practice inducing some kind of metabolic syndrome, but I don't understand the underlying physiological argument/basis for this. Can anyone also shed any light on this?

Sorry I realise my questions aren't totally direct but I was hoping to start off a discussion to help my knowledge along with certain issues related to this topic.

When it comes to diet and health there are as many opinions on the web as number of websites but I will explain my way of thinking about this. (maybe less about the insulin part)

I am passionate about combat sports and I follow them and the athletes taking part as I also used to train (never competed) and I have friends competing at a high level.
There are not many scientific papers of the subject you are bringing up but I can tell you that fasting and training is never recommended or followed by any high level athlete/team as it is just dangerous.

I am not sure why you chose to fast and starve yourself (religious reasons?) but I am pretty sure this was not recommended by a doctor or sport nutritionist and I mention athletes and sports after reading your description of your health-style that  sounds pretty active.

No we can argue and share articles with little scientific proof to them but you can't deny that at the highest levels of sports if the highest amount of money and the biggest stakes and I can guarantee you that except for religious purposes (Khabib Nurmagomedov for example or other Muslim athletes) no one that I ever heard of is fasting for days and especially training high intensity in the same time. 

I forgot to mention that this also takes place sometimes before the fight in extreme measures for weight-cutting purposes. But this in no way as seen as a healthy process and actually is accompanied by many health problems and is a huge problem in combat sports today. So I don't want you to bring a counter argument to my post by bringing up extreme weight-cutting.

I am very curious to see the sources you have that recommend fasting for 3 days.