Can't beat this.

PogoC7

I've been a long time member, but since been in the background. I ordered a new PC from "CyberPower PC" and want to get some feedback. In my opinion, you can't beat this PC for the price ***1,249.00***. I OWNED this config. What you people think. Half-life, here I come.

Athlon 64 PCI-E Custom Build Configurator (NO MONITOR)

*BASE_PRICE: [+509]

CAS: NZXT Nemesis Elite Aluminium Mid-Tower Case 420W W/Window,

Temp.Display & Fan Control [+51] (BLACK COLOR)

CD: SONY DWD26A DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+39] (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 3200+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+46]

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [+9]

HDD: Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache WD360GD [+71]

HALFLIFE2: Free "Half-Life 2 Bronze" Download Coupon

KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech LX 700 Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse [+73]

MOUSE: Microsoft® Optical Wheel Mouse [+5] (BLACK COLOR)

MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio [+78]

MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [+60] (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+51])

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

POWERSUPPLY: Super Alien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control [+59] (BLACK COLOR)

RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS [+49]

SCANNER: NONE

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT [-16]

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: Logitech S100 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set (BLACK COLOR)

TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)

USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: SPECIAL !!! ATI RADEON X700 PRO 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [+61]

WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis [+19]

PRICE: (+1164)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUBTOTAL $1,164.00

Sales Tax (N/A) $0.00

Shipping: UPS 3 Day Select $85.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRAND TOTAL $1,249.00

Not too bad at all :) Personally I would have gone for the X800, but it's still a bit pricey at the moment. Nice HD as well, although I might have gone for a bigger one. For the price, it's a fairly good buy.

HDD: Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache WD360GD [+71]

Sounds good but I hope you mean 360 GB harddrive not a 36GB.

Did I miss something? :)

But the 8MB cache on the hard drive is a very good thing. FAST!

EDIT...ah...I just checked and the "WD360GD" is a 36 GB hard drive.

That's fine but games like HL2 will VERY QUICKLY use up all your HD space.

A second hard drive will solve the issue.

get 160 GB minimum when ever you can. They are getting very cheap.

Also back up your stuff.

best

Eon.

Personally I think the best value for money at the moment is the 200GB drives. Good for mass-data storage. That WD drive is very good for installing the base OS on (since it's pretty fast), but as you say, games will eat up a lot of space.

In PCWorld the other day (don't ask why I was in there it's a long and quite dull story and involves kettle leads) I saw a 120GB WD drive, not a perticually good one if memory serves, for a mighty £175! more than double the price of my 200GB :( I feel for people who shop in there I really do :(

And when I got my newest disk there was only about £10 beween the 160GB version and the 200GB version, easily alot better value for money :)

All ur concerns are great, but ur talkin to a pro.

I bought a 19" flat screen which I've been using with my laptop and as a TV for about a year. It has DVI and all that good stuff. Thanks 4 that dumb comment.

The X800 was a extra 200$ compared to the 80$ for the X700. I'd rather buy the cheaper now; plus, I can always take a new one I buy back to Best Buy if it doesn't work. Rather than dealing with a X800 from them that may not work and I'd would have to send back. This way, if the X700 is DOA, I can get a newer one from Best Buy and not lose too much money. **Thinking**

U can't beat a 10,000 RPM HD. Can;t wait to see the speed. The only other option was a 80G 10,000 for like 200 more. I can always make a trip to Best Buy and get a 200G for dirt cheap. Plus, if u keep a clean HD, the 36G is more than enough. It's called backing up all ur illegal stuff (Vidz, MP3z, appz) on a External.

Sayonara³ - Old advesary - XP sucks, Win2000 pro all the way. "Only blind too those who think they see." - just a stupid quote. nothin personal.

Only thing which one can say; which I was suprised no one did. Is that the customer service and shipping of CyberPower has had it's critics. Overall, if I wanted to upgrade this too the next level, it would have cost me 1400$ not including a Monitor.

Thanks for the great feedback people. I'm glad to be talking on Science Forums again and hope to bless y'all with more comments.

P.S. - If any of u already have any of these components (HD, Video Card), I would love to hear some feedback. Plus, I don't know if we have a Gamers Forum, but it would be great playing some of u once I get this CPU. Peace.

^^^^True^^^^but maybe back in high school when I had the time or will. Now I've become too lazy. If I bought a ripoff PC from Alienware, I would have been better off building, but this is pretty much the same price. Unless u buy from pricewatch.com, but then end up sending half the stuff back cause it doesn't work.

U can't beat a 10,000 RPM HD. Can;t wait to see the speed. The only other option was a 80G 10,000 for like 200 more. I can always make a trip to Best Buy and get a 200G for dirt cheap. Plus, if u keep a clean HD, the 36G is more than enough. It's called backing up all ur illegal stuff (Vidz, MP3z, appz) on a External.

Thinking of getting another some time in the future for a nice raid setup or something?? (if you want speed)

I got an awesome deal on my laptop i just bought (there "building" it now). The total price with out shipping or tax was 1,261. I bought a 1,840$ computer for 1,261$!

Heres the specs:

Inspiron 600m

Pentium®M Processor 745(1.80 GHz/400MHz FSB)14.1-in SXGA+ w/64MB Video, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimm

80GB Hard Drive (probaly just a 5000 or so rpm HD)

Integrated Modem and NIC Internal 56K Modem and Integrated Network Card

Wireless Personal Networking Card Dell™ TrueMobile™ 300 Bluetooth Internal Card

Netgear WGR614 Cable/DSL Wireless Router

Optical 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability

Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)

Id say this is an awesome deal!

Y'know, as long as you're willing to deal with possible mishaps (or can deal with them yourselves), the best deals I've seen on computers are at Dell Outlet. They're used, sure, but it seems like a lot of ex-gamers give up their computers as soon as the newest stuff is out. Most of the computers on the Outlet will last for most or all games for at least two or three more years without upgrading, and you can find them cheap compared to trying to build the same computer new (though you'd better have a monitor, because they don't come with those).

I had picked out a nice computer for all of my needs (meaning gaming) for under $500. Triple the speed and capacity of my current computer here.

I got an awesome deal on my laptop i just bought (there "building" it now). The total price with out shipping or tax was 1,261. I bought a 1,840$ computer for 1,261$...

Im sorry, but I can;t agree. First off, Dell's products suck. The keyboard is not comfortable to use, the Pentium®M Processor 745 is outdated, Plus it's Centrino ***IT SUCKS***SLOW AS HELL***. The onboard graphics will not run many games. Better go with a GeForce 6600 or they have the X700 now for laptops. Those two card are the only way to go. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com -- This one for 1,099 is a far better pc from Cyber ( http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/ntbkx648000.asp?v=d ). PLus, ***FREE SHIPPING*** and u still have option to upgrade.

Not bashing u, but DELL can suck a big one. They sell u cheap shit to get ride of it and their customer service send u on hold for hours and too INDIA. CYber is US based. GO WITH CYBER. Call Dell and tell them to go suck it. I am actually using my Dell Laptop which I took from my dad cause my old ass Toshiba (Second best laptops) died. This dell is one of the newest with a GeForce 64mb and I hate it. It's game preformance sucks, it's keyboard is shit and it runs hotter than hell. I would never suggest a Dell PC. Check out ur options, but I doubt you'll find a better deal than on Cyber.

Don't fall for that sappy "Buy what is repected". It's all a PC with they same companies. All ur spending money on is the stupid name like Dell or AlienWare... It's a joke, it's not like ur buying a car where there is a difference between a Mercedes and Ford. The computer industry is all the same. Stay U.S. based and don't conform to those dell losers. They will just take ur money and send ur problems to India. SCREW DELL. Cancel ur order bro.

Plus, they 14" screen is small as hell and the Wireless Personal Networking Card Dell™ TrueMobile™ 300 Bluetooth Internal Card is horrible at picking up signals and is slow as hell. Just get an External Linksys G card.

Rubbish. Not everyone who buys a laptop is just doing so because they don't want to spend an hour setting up a real desktop computer at LAN parties every night. Some of us actually work for a living with our laptops.

It's not about respect. It's about what lasts and works. You want a no-name knockoff made by children earning 20 cents an hour in Uzvietstaniland, hop on over to CyperPower and try to ignore the 20% markup they slap on high-performance hardware. You want something that's going to be working well and looking good a couple of years from now, Dell and IBM are your options.

Rubbish. Not everyone who buys a laptop is just doing so because they don't want to spend an hour setting up a real desktop computer at LAN parties every night. Some of us actually work for a living with our laptops...

Facts don't lie. If u clicked the link u would have saw a laptop from cyber which blasts the Dell too hell. For 1200$ I can't see anyone wanting to get that Dell. It's worth no more then 800$ to me. If u haven't noticed by now. Preformace = quality and Dell just uses their name to rip u off. Speaking of children making computers. Where are Dells make? I'm sure it's not the U.S. Cybers are made in the good old USA. Get real. Havn't played a game on a computer for over four years. I bought my computer with all the gameing specs for quality. Check the link for the Cyber Laptop and then argue. DELL SUCKS. Toshiba is the only way to go if u choose to use "Name Brand" laptops. U'r not choosing between a Mercedes and Ford. Thats just a big misconception in the computer industry. BTW, Cyber has a better standard service plan which doesn't take three years too work. And u don't have to struggle talking to outsourced job workers.

P.S. - 20% mark-ups are Liberal lies. Don't say things that aren't true. Don't know where u found that news. Probably in the New York Times. All the high preformance components come standard. Only 1099$; check the link bro, FREE SHIPPING. U believe that Q33 NY junk too.

Fisrt off all, you sent me a personal message to inform me of your "dell bashing" post. I realy dont know what top say about that.

Second, dells are not made outside the US.

In your post you said, "the computer industry is all the same", but your post COMPLETELY contradicts this.

A 14in screen is a normal size laptop screen. The last few dyaas ive used an Averatec with a 12 inch screen, and it gets very comfortable.

If a user nnever plays games on his computer (like me) he will never need a good graphics card. To me, computers with integrated processors are just fine.

The cybers are so cheap probaly becuase thay are made up of crap or surplus parts. It is probaly made up of all no-name parts. The shipping is probaly not free. Its just included in the price of the cheap ass computer to make you think your getting a good system.

The only reason you dont like dells is becuase this is what ALL hard core LAN party nerds think. Its just one of those things, like how people who drive chevy's generaly dislike Fords or Dodge's.

Okay, let's have a look at this.

Firstly, your main argument seems to be, well, "DELL SUCKS!!!!" Now, you must ask yourself this question: why do you find their products so bad? So far, your arguments have been:

• They're not made in the US. You seem to be hung up on this. The simple fact is, not a lot of people care where it comes from as long as it actually gets there.
  • They use child labour. Really? Got proof?
  • You can't play games on them. Solitaire? Minesweeper? Those are the kind of games that get played on a regular basis, because not everybody is interested in the latest FPS. Besides this, my housemate has a Dell and can easily manage to play HL2 at a decent framerate, so the integrated graphics aren't all that bad.
  • The keyboard is not comfortable to use. That's your personal opinion. Based, again, off of the one computer you've used.

I can't find a valid reason in that list as to why anyone shouldn't go and buy a Dell machine.

I won't go into your comments on the machine in question, because there isn't very much point at all. Whilst the Pentium 4-M might not be the latest in CPUs, it's certainly a decent processor and, more importantly, it'll let the user of the laptop do whatever they want within reason. My girlfriend's laptop has a Celeron 2.4Ghz; one of the cheapest processors around. It does everything that she needs it to, and she's perfectly happy with that.

As for your comment about the monitor: well, I'm going to be purchasing a 12" PowerBook G4 because I want something that is more compact. The Cyber laptop, if you look closely, has a widescreen monitor which makes it quite bulky to carry around. Portability is a major issue for some people.

You also say that "Performance = quality". Since when? You can get some very high-end machines that are extremely cheap, but extremely poor quality. At the end of the day, most people are going to go for companies that are reputable for this very reason. I'd even go as far as to say that they'd be willing to pay more for it.

Finally, I have to say that your posts contain far too much in the way of arrogance and superiority. Whilst you may know a fair amount about computers, don't try to jam it down other peoples' throats - it's just not nice.

When specing a pc you should work out what YOU need for YOUR tasks, my parents spend their time at their computer using word/excell and surfing the web. They don't need anything more than their 1ghz TBird.

And on a side note solitair is offten found to be the most played computer game in the world.

^^Just trying to spaer u guys the pain of getting ripped off.^^

The child thing was mention by another post "You want a no-name knockoff made by children earning 20 cents an hour in Uzvietstaniland, hop on over to CyperPower and try to ignore the 20% markup". - Pangloss Don't put words in my mouth.

Here is my arguement of what Dell does to the consumer. My mom bought a Dell with the "Lexmark, Dell" printer and all. It's a centrino, so It stalls, but thats besides the point. The printer ran out of ink, so I go to the store to get a new cartridge. The ladies at both Staples and Office Depot tell me they can't carry the Dell cartridge, u need to order them from the site. She told me that people always come in for that same reason. Whats up with that, it's only a Knockoff lexmark that Dell bought out.

They want to monopolize the computer industry. Look at the recent products they have. TVs, MP3z... All I know is that people complain about Big Buisness and Bush and all. I voted Bush because Liberals own all the media and missinformation is the strongest tool to use against people. DON'T BE MISSINFORMED.

If u want a Laptop for processing purposes. U shouldn't be spending more than 800$. Plus, Dell does make their computer in the U.S., but for how long. Won't be long until they outsource those too.

Also, HATE THE I-POD. BUY CREATIVE.

^^Just trying to spaer u guys the pain of getting ripped off.^^

The child thing was mention by another post "You want a no-name knockoff made by children earning 20 cents an hour in Uzvietstaniland' date=' hop on over to CyperPower and try to ignore the 20% markup". - Pangloss Don't put words in my mouth.

Here is my arguement of what Dell does to the consumer. My mom bought a Dell with the "Lexmark, Dell" printer and all. It's a centrino, so It stalls, but thats besides the point. The printer ran out of ink, so I go to the store to get a new cartridge. The ladies at both Staples and Office Depot tell me they can't carry the Dell cartridge, u need to order them from the site. She told me that people always come in for that same reason. Whats up with that, it's only a Knockoff lexmark that Dell bought out.

They want to monopolize the computer industry. Look at the recent products they have. TVs, MP3z... All I know is that people complain about Big Buisness and Bush and all. I voted Bush because Liberals own all the media and missinformation is the strongest tool to use against people. DON'T BE MISSINFORMED.

If u want a Laptop for processing purposes. U shouldn't be spending more than 800$. Plus, Dell does make their computer in the U.S., but for how long. Won't be long until they outsource those too.

Also, HATE THE I-POD. BUY CREATIVE.[/quote']

In the past, I have had plenty of problems with numerous printers (couple of Lexmarks, a Xerox, some wierd make from QVC etc) when finding cartridges. This isn't something unique to Dell and simply because you can't find the cartridge you need in one shop or another doesnt mean the whole company is bad (this time I actually went out and bought my printer (HP) partly based on the local availability of cartridges).

The rest of your argument seems to be "Dell are trying to take over the world, dont let them", which to be honest just seems crazy. Yes they offer alot of services, they expand into new areas, just like alot of business'.

I can't vouch for the quality of Dell products but I agree completely with what dave has said, power certainly doesnt mean quality. IBM Thinkpads are often seen as a very good buy because they are meant to be extremely robust and support etc is excellent (Gaz loves his older one and the spec isnt what you would consider good by any means), the fact that they dont contain the latest hardware doesnt mean they arent good quality or that no-one will buy them. As has been mentioned, not everyone wants to play games.