Transfering Stuff From PC to PC

jordan

Make sure the network is all set up... DNS server, IP address*, subnet mask (that's what I had problems with) and all of that stuff.

Remember that the computer can give itself an IP as can the router, you need to decide which is giving out the IP and make sure it all matches.

ie. if the router is giving out the IP then the computer needs to accept it and not try making its own.

Have you run the winXP network wizard?

And like someone said deal with firewalls.

Go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections, and locate the "Local Area Connection" module. Right-click on it (either right there in the menu, or by opening the Network Connections app itself and then right-clicking on Local Area Connection), and select Properties. Does "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" appear on the list of modules loaded in the little window there? If not, you won't be able to share anything on that computer.

(That's a "server" module -- you don't have to have it on the "client" computer; only the computer you intend to pull files FROM (or put files ONTO).)

idk, but i set up the computer i intend on pulling files from for sharing, and marked the HD as shareable.

Abot the printer, will it only work with a ethernet printer, or does it matter that it is USB?

Ok, well this is probably moot since if the module is installed then you should see the computer in My Network Places even though you haven't designated any shares yet, but it's worth pointing out that, well, you haven't designated any shares yet. The root drives are shared by default, it's folders that you have to designate as "shares", and then they appear in My Network Places under the heading of the computer's name. Same with the printer, and yes, it's typically a USB printer that you share. (There's no such thing as an "ethernet printer" attached to a computer. "Ethernet printers" stand alone, and computers don't control them at all.)

Go to Start' date=' Control Panel, Network Connections, and locate the "Local Area Connection" module. Right-click on it (either right there in the menu, or by opening the Network Connections app itself and then right-clicking on Local Area Connection), and select Properties. Does "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" appear on the list of modules loaded in the little window there? If not, you won't be able to share anything on that computer.

(That's a "server" module -- you don't have to have it on the "client" computer; only the computer you intend to pull files FROM (or put files ONTO).)[/quote']

This is a very good point Pangloss and followed by H2SO4's reply "idk" I think it needs further explaining until he can check that the file/print share module is there and working. When I set up my network it wasn't there automatically, I had to manually instal it.

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

right click on Local Area Connection > properties

In the General tab (there should be general/authentication/advanced) under the Configure... button it'll say "This connection uses the following items:" in that box below does it say "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" anywhere?

in the general tab, under "connect using" it shows a list of things like "file and printer sharing on microsoft networks" and "QoS packet scheduler" It shows a few other things to. But, there all checked.