I just learn something, for the first time in a long time

ALine

oh my god, I just learned about the beauty of science and the pursuit of knowledge!

It feels sooooo good

This is affecting my entire thought process, I cannot type this out fast enough.

I have so many questions now! but it's hard because my ignorance keeps trying to pop its way back up!

19 minutes ago, ALine said:

my ignorance keeps trying to pop its way back up!

Ignorance doesn't pop, it doesn't move, it doesn't try to do ANYTHING. Ignorance is simply a gap in your knowledge, a hole waiting to be filled with the correct thing, like pieces of a puzzle. Treat it this way and it's much easier to deal with. You aren't trying to overcome ignorance, you're trying to diminish it.

Congratulations on the epiphany! The pursuit of knowledge is indeed a beautiful thing. And being able to trust the process from which your knowledge is derived is a huge barrier you've overcome. Good job, ALine!

Man, I went to sleep today and was like, "Oh my god, it feels amazing that I know that I feel amazing and I know that I know that I feel amazing" However there is this weird smell in the air for some reason. I cannot explain it. Like roses or something.

Kind of like the ocean actually

like a weird mixture in between both roses and the ocean.

never mind that, I am going to go learn more about some neural networks real quick. I will be riiiight back.

I just learn something, for the first time in a long time

If you would open Wikipedia page about any element, you would learn something new almost every new paragraph..

One day, read one element's Wikipedia page. It'll take you nearly 4 months to read them all (118 elements).

Start from Hydrogen. It has one of the longest descriptions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen

Then you can do the same with chemical compounds. Here you have list of the most widely known compounds (over 2000) and links to their detailful descriptions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_chemical_formulas

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, ALine said:

oh my god, I just learned about the beauty of science and the pursuit of knowledge!

It feels sooooo good

This is affecting my entire thought process, I cannot type this out fast enough.

I have so many questions now! but it's hard because my ignorance keeps trying to pop its way back up!

What a beautiful thread! I feel that way about all of science particularly the cosmological sciences. Good start and keep learning! 

And take heed in the excellent reply post from Phi for all.

Can I recommend something? See if you can get hold of Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" TV series from the seventies. He in my opinion was a brilliant communicator and educator and the series was incredibly well done and knowledgeable. Yes, I know there is an updated version by Neil DeGrasse Tyson with co-oporation with Sagan's wife Ann Duryan and probably good to get that also and notice how things have changed in certain areas.

24 minutes ago, Sensei said:

If you would open Wikipedia page about any element, you would learn something new almost every new paragraph..

One day, read one element Wikipedia page. It'll take you nearly 4 months to read them all (118 elements).

Start from Hydrogen. It has one of the longest descriptions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen

Then you can do the same with chemical compounds. Here you have list of the most widely known compounds (over 2000) and links to their detailful descriptions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_chemical_formulas

oh my god thank you. Now that I actually think about it I do not know any of this and have only been memorizing things for sooooooo long.

Image result for meme face it feels so good

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feels-good I wanna spread the knowledge everywhere.

pure knowledge is pure ecstasy, metaphorically...ahhhh

6 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Ignorance doesn't pop, it doesn't move, it doesn't try to do ANYTHING. Ignorance is simply a gap in your knowledge, a hole waiting to be filled with the correct thing, like pieces of a puzzle. Treat it this way and it's much easier to deal with. You aren't trying to overcome ignorance, you're trying to diminish it.

Congratulations on the epiphany! The pursuit of knowledge is indeed a beautiful thing. And being able to trust the process from which your knowledge is derived is a huge barrier you've overcome. Good job, ALine!

My problem is the damn puzzle gets bigger and more full of holes the faster I try to fill them all in...

• 1 year later...
On 12/6/2018 at 12:21 PM, ALine said:

Man, I went to sleep today and was like, "Oh my god, it feels amazing that I know that I feel amazing and I know that I know that I feel amazing" However there is this weird smell in the air for some reason. I cannot explain it. Like roses or something.

Kind of like the ocean actually

like a weird mixture in between both roses and the ocean.

never mind that, I am going to go learn more about some neural networks real quick. I will be riiiight back.

Ah, you went to sleep in a room filled with marijuana smoke!

yeahhhhhhh, ok so back when I posted this I was medicate and it felt like it analogously unlocked something in my brain to make every problem appear obvious. Had to go to the hospital actually. But I am good now, it gave me a lot of time to think and reflect. Leading me to the conclusion that I like to collect knowledge and I should be able to do so without the need for medication.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, J.C.MacSwell said:

My problem is the damn puzzle gets bigger and more full of holes the faster I try to fill them all in...

Oh yeah. The issue with learning a little bit about anything just makes you appreciate how little you actually know about it. The bad news is that it generally does not get better (except perhaps, theoretically in very small, specialized and contained areas of knowledge). The good news is that you eventually learn to enjoy it.