Liquid fuel vs gas fuel for cooking

fredreload

My parents order gas for the duration of the cooking days, but then now I got interested in blow torch cuisine, so I'm like, why do we use gas fuel instead of blow torch which uses a liquid fuel? Btw which one is safer, I am afraid it might blow up on my face

Edited by fredreload

I think it's mostly flash and entertainment. Heat rises, so it makes sense to put the heat beneath the food. I'm betting the chefs simply use the blowtorch instead of flipping the food, searing the top with the heavier flame to finish off the cook more quickly. I don't see any real efficiency in this, and as you mention, there seems to be some real danger involved for the amateur chef.

And both gas or liquid fuel can be used for either cooking or blowtorches.

Gas tends to burn more cleanly and so won't taint food as much. Most liquid fuels are a mixture of many different compounds and can produce smoke and half-combusted compounds if not burnt carefully. These could make the food taste odd or even be toxic.

And then there is LPG which is a liquid and a gas!