Finding due South

geordief

I am trying to find due South by the Sun ,but realize that it is not as simple as waiting for twelve o'clock and taking that as a reference.

Even within the same time the sun will rise ,set and be due South at different times .

How can I work this out just by using  the  lat/long  measurements anywhere in the world?

14 minutes ago, geordief said:

I am trying to find due South by the Sun ,but realize that it is not as simple as waiting for twelve o'clock and taking that as a reference.

Even within the same time the sun will rise ,set and be due South at different times .

How can I work this out just by using  the  lat/long  measurements anywhere in the world?

use a watch.

https://geographyfieldwork.com/WatchasCompass.htm

4 minutes ago, geordief said:

Don't have one**....and I want something a little more accurate than that seems to be.( have used that method in the past)

**Actually there is a clockface on a smartphone if you need it isn't there?

then use a compass...

There are plenty of places on Earth where comnpasses are unreliable.

On the other hand, the method given assumes you know which hemisphere you are in .
If you are unsure about that then your best bet is to look at the stars. If you can see the Southern Cross, but not the Pole star...

If your mobile phone is so damned clever, just ask it where you are, walk towards some landmark or other and then ask it again.

It will tell you which direction you walked in and that's the direction of the landmark.

2 hours ago, Strange said:

And a compass!

Not mine (and I have two)

2 hours ago, Externet said:

Hi.

Use a chart for sun position at your coordinates.  It tells you at what exact sidereal time/date, sun azimuth is at 180 degrees.  Hope for sunny sky.

I did it to orient a satellite dish antenna and worked very well. ----> https://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

There is other charts/calculators to choose.

That seems to be the business (also what I was going to use it for)

36 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

There are plenty of places on Earth where comnpasses are unreliable.

On the other hand, the method given assumes you know which hemisphere you are in .
If you are unsure about that then your best bet is to look at the stars. If you can see the Southern Cross, but not the Pole star...

If your mobile phone is so damned clever, just ask it where you are, walk towards some landmark or other and then ask it again.

It will tell you which direction you walked in and that's the direction of the landmark.

Yes they are very capable.