The guy is stuck in a time loop

fredreload

Here, assuming you have a time machine. You bring a person age 30 back 30 years ago when he was born, knocked out his other consciousness in that world and have him born from age 0 with no memory, you've now completed a loop. The guy will forever grow to become age 30 and get transferred back to his birth with his memory erased, by you, and get re-borned. Over and over again. Stuck in the time loop

Edited by fredreload

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

You bring a person age 30 back 30 years ago when he was born, knocked out his other consciousness in that world and have him born from age 0 with no memory, you've now completed a loop.

What? Are you suggesting that if someone travels back in time by 30 years, they will be 30 years younger?

Who is the "other consciousness"?

This doesn't make much sense. And it doesn't really belong in Speculations as it isn't a discussion of science. Maybe the basis of a SF short story?

23 minutes ago, Strange said:

What? Are you suggesting that if someone travels back in time by 30 years, they will be 30 years younger?

Who is the "other consciousness"?

This doesn't make much sense. And it doesn't really belong in Speculations as it isn't a discussion of science. Maybe the basis of a SF short story?

It's philosophical science. You make the guy, travel back in time, a potion that makes him 30 years younger and lose his memory, and knock out his other self(I'm sure you've seen Peabody) to take his place. Then he is stuck in a loop. He is destined to grow up and get sent back in time when he turns 30.

24 minutes ago, fredreload said:

It's philosophical science. You make the guy, travel back in time, a potion that makes him 30 years younger and lose his memory, and knock out his other self(I'm sure you've seen Peabody) to take his place. Then he is stuck in a loop. He is destined to grow up and get sent back in time when he turns 30.

What do you call it: The Scratched Record Hypothesis?

31 minutes ago, fredreload said:

You make the guy, travel back in time, a potion that makes him 30 years younger and lose his memory, and knock out his other self(I'm sure you've seen Peabody) to take his place.

What is this magic potion?

Who is his "other self"? The newborn baby?

And I have no idea what Peabody is in this context.

This sounds like a (rather pointless) example of a stable time loop or bootstrap paradox. My favourite example is from Bill and Ted where they meet their future selves who introduce them to "Rufus". From then on, they call him Rufus until they travel back in time and tell themselves that is his name. At no point does he tell them his name is Rufus.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/StableTimeLoop/Films

27 minutes ago, Strange said:

What is this magic potion?

Who is his "other self"? The newborn baby?

And I have no idea what Peabody is in this context.

This sounds like a (rather pointless) example of a stable time loop or bootstrap paradox. My favourite example is from Bill and Ted where they meet their future selves who introduce them to "Rufus". From then on, they call him Rufus until they travel back in time and tell themselves that is his name. At no point does he tell them his name is Rufus.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/StableTimeLoop/Films

Ya, you got a point. But wouldn't it be kind of messed up getting stuck in a stable time loop with no way out? Ya, the potion has to be timed to reverse aging for 30 years. This is the part I am unsure of. I mean theoretically if you sent the guy back at his age 30 and just erase his memory. Some guy would still show up "in the same time line" but probably not the same self. It's quite confusing when you think about this. It probably means the time line cannot be altered

Edited by fredreload