What tests or questions that will help me find out the truth about Evolution or Creationism?

For example: in 2018 Christian Pastors have been using this article 

Massive Genetic Study Reveals 90 Percent Of Earth’s Animals Appeared At The Same Time

Link: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/228798/20180530/massive-genetic-study-reveals-90-percent-of-earth-s-animals-appeared-at-the-same-time.htm

Link: 

So my question is, what tests or questions that will help me find out the truth about Evolution or Creationism?  People say follow the evidence, but how do I determine which evidence supports which theory. If Christian Pastors are going around and saying real science confirms the Bible and evolution is a fraud, how do i discover the truth for myself?

Thank you in advance.

Well considering that 99% of the animals that ever existed are extinct (exact figure needs confirming) - it isn't surprising that most of the animals that live today 'came about' around the same time period.  I doubt it was 'at the exact same time' as claimed by the pastor in the video...  as if they 'poof' suddenly appeared by magic all at the same instance. See what the actual paper says rather than his twisted misinterpretation of the paper maybe.

24 minutes ago, Zoom said:

Massive Genetic Study Reveals 90 Percent Of Earth’s Animals Appeared At The Same Time

What tests or questions that will help me find out the truth about Evolution or Creationism?

Use your common sense.

:)

Are there any dinosaurs around now?

Were there any cattle around when dinosaurs lived?

So there are many many species that died out before others appeared.

In fact the fossil record shows there have been 6 major expansions and developments of life (call it evolution if you wish) on Earth and the first five (we are the sixth)

all ended with a 'mass extinction' in which most life and species perished.

If you want to know more read this

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/616394.When_Life_Nearly_Died

Edited by studiot

1 hour ago, Zoom said:

If Christian Pastors are going around and saying real science confirms the Bible and evolution is a fraud, how do i discover the truth for myself?

to add also that your 'Christian pastor' is going to be biased about facts. Whatever you present to him he will look to circumvent the facts presented to him to make them fit with his world view.  He will tell you not to read or listen to people who are not Christian so you will only get a biased one sided view of the discussion. 

You should look at both sides of the argument.  Here is Dawkins cutting open a giraffe to show some actual physical evidence of poor design/evolved physiology that has clearly evolved and would never really be designed in such a way.

2 hours ago, Zoom said:

For example: in 2018 Christian Pastors have been using this article 

Link: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/228798/20180530/massive-genetic-study-reveals-90-percent-of-earth-s-animals-appeared-at-the-same-time.htm

So my question is, what tests or questions that will help me find out the truth about Evolution or Creationism?  People say follow the evidence, but how do I determine which evidence supports which theory. If Christian Pastors are going around and saying real science confirms the Bible and evolution is a fraud, how do i discover the truth for myself?

Thank you in advance.

Do not rely on creationists to provide accurate information about evolution. 

This sounds like an offshoot of the "mitochondrial Eve" misinformation that creationists have peddled in the past, where they took a bottleneck and offered it up as the original, mistaking the most recent common mitochondrial (i.e. female) ancestor and saying it was the only female alive at the time. 

The paper concludes that "the extant population, no matter what its current size or similarity to fossils of any age, has expanded from mitochondrial uniformity within the past 200,000 years."

Extant population. That is not the same thing as saying all species appeared more recently 200k years ago. It's saying that most species alive today have done so. It's that little detail that's being omitted, which dramatically changes the tone of the claim. Which the creationists are then sensationalizing to advance their agenda.

• 2 weeks later...

There is "truth " in neither.  The 1st is a scientific theory,  and the latter is typically interpreted as a religious belief (tho life was apparently created by some process)..  They address different concepts and are not mutually exclusive.  Creation - the initiation of life and evolution the change in existing life.

Edited by PhilGeis