Solving the Mysteries of FRB's:

beecee

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-scientists-universe-mysteries.html

How scientists are working together to solve one of the universe's mysteries

November 27, 2018 by Emma Platts And Amanda Weltman, The Conversation

An artist’s impression of fast radio bursts in the sky above the Australian SKA precursor, ASKAP. Credit: OzGrav, Swinburne University of Technology

One of the most baffling puzzles of modern astrophysics is the nature of Fast Radio Bursts, which were discovered in 2007. These are seemingly rare, extremely bright flashes of light with radio wavelengths. They last only milliseconds; originate outside our galaxy, the Milky Way; come from regions with enormously strong magnetic fields; and pass through a significant amount of gas or dust before reaching Earth.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-11-scientists-universe-mysteries.html#jCp

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-aussie-telescope-mysterious-fast-radio.html

Aussie telescope almost doubles known number of mysterious 'fast radio bursts'

October 10, 2018, International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research

Artist's impression of CSIRO's Australian SKA Pathfinder (ASKAP) radio telescope observing 'fast radio bursts' in 'fly's eye mode'. Each antenna points in a slightly different direction, giving maximum sky coverage. Credit: OzGrav, Swinburne University of Technology

Australian researchers using a CSIRO radio telescope in Western Australia have nearly doubled the known number of 'fast radio bursts'— powerful flashes of radio waves from deep space.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-10-aussie-telescope-mysterious-fast-radio.html#jCp

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.05836.pdf

A Living Theory Catalogue for Fast Radio Bursts: 

Abstract:

At present, we have almost as many theories to explain Fast Radio Bursts as we have Fast Radio Bursts observed. This landscape will be changing rapidly with CHIME/FRB, recently commissioned in Canada, and HIRAX, under construction in South Africa. This is an opportune time to review existing theories and their observational consequences, allowing us to efficiently curtail viable astrophysical models as more data becomes available. In this article we provide a currently up to date catalogue of the numerous and varied theories proposed for Fast Radio Bursts so far. We also launch an online evolving repository for the use and benefit of the community to dynamically update our theoretical knowledge and discuss constraints and uses of Fast Radio Bursts.

5. Conclusion:

In this review article, we have catalogued a collection of postulated FRB models and have attempted to provide the reader with a general overview of the ongoing research in FRB model-building. The theories vary in their explanatory power, testability, and sometimes in their “exoticness”. Given both the number of theories and the range of physics used as a foundational framework, it seems like an ideal time to take stock of the theoretical work produced. The small data set and lack of observational counterparts means most of the theoretical work is phenomenological. Because of this, we believe radio astronomy in entering into a promising era with telescopes like CHIME and the SKA. With the predicted considerable increase in data, and expected increase in the number of observed FRBs, it is hoped that constraints on many of the models discussed here will be able rule out—and even favor—certain approaches.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The listed possibilities: Magnetic Braking. Magnetic Reconnection. Changing Magnetic Flux. Neutron Star–Supernova Interactions, Neutron Star–White Dwarf Mergers. Binary White Dwarf Merger. White Dwarf–Black Hole Mergers.

Neutron Star–Black Hole Mergers. Pulsar–Black Hole Interactions. Kerr-Newman–Black Hole Interactions. Induced Magnetosphere Collapse, Supramassive Neutron Star to Kerr-Newman Black Hole. Neutron Star to Quark Star. Dark Matter Induced Neutron Star Collapse. Collapse of Strange Star Crust.  Supernovae Remnants. Giant Pulses. Giant Flares in Magnetars. Variable Stars. Lightning in Pulsars.

I have highlighted my "guesses" as to what FRB's are, and there are even more exotic choices in the paper, such as Superconducting strings and White Hole explosions. I wouldn't mind betting though that it will be eventually found to be something more mundane like a form of millisecond Pulsar. What do others think? 

• 1 month later...

My hypothesis/interpretation: I believe there is black hole's credit here. There may be more than one path for FRB to travel the Earth. For example, through a straight line (geode in geometry), but not thru a black hole to reach the earth directly. And for example, through a black hole. It's possible to also pass through several black holes or a black hole several times. Thus they are the same FRB, but due to the complex geometric topology of the universe, the delay of arrival time in different paths are generated.

4 hours ago, yang5987 said:

My hypothesis/interpretation: I believe there is black hole's credit here. There may be more than one path for FRB to travel the Earth. For example, through a straight line (geode in geometry), but not thru a black hole to reach the earth directly. And for example, through a black hole. It's possible to also pass through several black holes or a black hole several times. Thus they are the same FRB, but due to the complex geometric topology of the universe, the delay of arrival time in different paths are generated.

Recent research suggests this.......

5 hours ago, yang5987 said:

My hypothesis/interpretation: I believe there is black hole's credit here.

I concur, but with a more simple explanation. I think the repeats are due to two (or multiple) objects colliding with the black hole. Simple and elegant.

But honestly, I have no clue. Gotta start with something though, right?

On 1/11/2019 at 2:35 PM, beecee said:

Recent research suggests this.......

Nice to know. Thanks

On 1/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, QuantumT said:

I concur, but with a more simple explanation. I think the repeats are due to two (or multiple) objects colliding with the black hole. Simple and elegant.

But honestly, I have no clue. Gotta start with something though, right?

Yeah, just for fun.