jfoldbar

the soul

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, zapatos said:

You said "We use 'soul' to refer to a person without its physical body."

That's how it's mostly used but we use it as well to refer to an actual person. It depends on the context 'soul' is used in.

In the dutch language the literal translation of 'soul' is also used to refer to the inside of something...like the inside of a wine bottle.

Edited by Itoero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Itoero said:

That's how it's mostly used but we use it as well to refer to an actual person. It depends on the context 'soul' is used in.

In the dutch language the literal translation of 'soul' is also used to refer to the inside of something...like the inside of a wine bottle.

2

or the inside of a person as in 'I got soul'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

or the inside of a person as in 'I got soul'

True, but the soul of a wine bottle is 'physical', the soul of a person not so much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, swansont said:

In radioactive decay, and stellar fusion, the components change. (Otherwise how do you get helium-4 from just protons?) They are not eternal.

You are absolutely right. I should have called them "information" instead.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, swansont said:

You posted some nonsense about this being a simulation. What does that have to do with the topic? The OP didn’t discuss that.

IMO that is the closest we can get to a soul. Namely a digital version of our personality that can be "saved".

On 1/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, Eise said:

So for us there is no difference between everything being just what it seems (real particles, atoms, persons) and all being simulated.

You are absolutely right, except for one little detail: Answers! If we assume that we are simulated, it answers many questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

You are absolutely right. I should have called them "information" instead.

IMO that is the closest we can get to a soul. Namely a digital version of our personality that can be "saved".

You are absolutely right, except for one little detail: Answers! If we assume that we are simulated, it answers many questions.

What religion depends on us being in a simulation? (This is posted in religion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, swansont said:

What religion depends on us being in a simulation? (This is posted in religion)

My bad. I was too focused on the concept to pay attention the location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 5:08 PM, Itoero said:

True, but the soul of a wine bottle is 'physical', the soul of a person not so much...

Is it still a wine bottle if it, now, only contains air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now