Split from Who is looking out for the EARTH as a whole

just_wondering

I am not an expert in science, nor am I an expert in my own field, which is Communications and Media Studies, as well as Visual Studies. One common theme that constantly keeps emerging from both areas of study is the emphasis on the consumption of products. What is alarming is the rate that people buy and replace things to constantly keep up with a tech hungry society. In addition, planned obsolescence means that people are constantly discarding products, to make way for "the next big thing". A lot of people in societies of consumption are too focused on their image within it, more so than on their contributions to consumer waste, which gets shipped off to other countries who often dump it into the ocean. 

It has not gotten any better either, with the leaders encouraging people to spend money in the wake of "terrorist" attacks. Take 9/11 for instance, scientists and engineers debunked the events and found them to be impossible. It has been made clear by many experts that airplanes would not have been able to do the damage that was inflicted that day. What is interesting is that leaders focus on shopping as "fighting back" against the fear inflicted by "terrorism". If you want more information on this, I recommend reading the book Popular Culture A User's Guide, by Susie O'Brien and Imre Szeman. In it they mention that

"New Mexico senator Pete Domenici stated, "I am hopeful the American people will ... buy the car they planned to buy, not wait around. The terrorists will have won if consumers wait around because they are fearful" (p. 149)

This goes for many other countries too, so please don't think I am singling out America. I am just making a point with this specific example. Ultimately it is up to consumers to realize that they are the consumed. A lot of people are not willing to give up their comforts to see this. Imagine if we didn't have to try to remedy everything and instead tried to prevent issues. They do not make money if no one wants to buy their products. They make money off of having to clean up the contaminated environment that everyone continues to contaminate. No one is coming to save us. Let's hope the people figure that out before humanity goes off the cliff we are heading towards. 

11 minutes ago, just_wondering said:

Take 9/11 for instance, scientists and engineers debunked the events and found them to be impossible. It has been made clear by many experts that airplanes would not have been able to do the damage that was inflicted that day.

That is nothing more then crazy unevidenced and total conspiracy nonsense. A thousand times more evidence suggests it happened as reported and observed. How gullible are people to accept such conspiracy nonsense!

• Strange changed the title to Split from Who is looking out for the EARTH as a whole

I am on Gapminder and there is nothing that talks about 9/11. If you want to enlighten me and find the link I am happy to look at it.

Also anyone can do a Ted Talk, Sam Hyde proved that they don't actually look into the background of people and made a joke of Ted Talks. So I am not sure how reputable any of their information is given that they clearly do not fact check. Or at least they didn't in Sam Hyde's case.

I was looking at Gapminder and can't find anything about 9/11 and the facts that you did not actually provide. If you want to enlighten me I am open to learning and discussion, but I noticed a lot of Ted Talks on there and wanted to point out that TedX isn't always reputable either.  Anyone can do a Ted Talk, Sam Hyde proved that they don't actually look into the background of people and made a joke of TedX. So I am not sure how reputable any of their information is given that they clearly do not fact check. Or at least they didn't in Sam Hyde's case.

Edited by just_wondering

22 minutes ago, just_wondering said:

I am on Gapminder and there is nothing that talks about 9/11. If you want to enlighten me and find the link I am happy to look at it.

I recommend you stick to your excellent observations you also made about excess waster and not making things last long enough +1 for that.

You also said you are non technical, so take it from one who has

1) Worked on the Ronan Point disaster

2) Predicted the Grenfell Tower disaster

3) Watch the live video of the Twin towers disaster.

and is a very technical person.

There was no conspiracy (apart from the terrorists)
The other disasters I mentioned were the result of individual incompetence and greed, not coordinated malice.

But surely this thread has now had its day and doesn't need resurrecting?

Edited by studiot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.