The liver knows your age

fredreload

Thanks to Charon that I've figured out liver does compensatory growth, not regeneration, but how does the liver knows what your liver mass is supposed to be?

Question:

If I donate 75% of my liver at age 5 the rest of 25% of the liver grows up to about 500g(100% liver mass) and it stops. Which I assume to be the normal mass for liver at age 5.

If I donate 75% of my liver at age 30 the rest of 25% of the liver grows up to about 1kg(100% liver mass) and it stops. Which I assume to be the normal mass for liver at age 30.

What am I trying to prove here? Oh yes, why doesn't the liver grow to 500g when I am at age 30 but instead become 1kg which is the full liver mass at age 30?

If this compensatory growth of liver knows the full mass of the liver, then it is likely that it contains a signaling molecule that governs the full mass of our body at that age. The one that tells the liver to stop growing because it reaches 1kg at age 30.

P.S. What to do, lower the expression of this molecule, then regenerate the entire body to match the age.

Edited by fredreload

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 8:47 PM, fredreload said:

Thanks to Charon that I've figured out liver does compensatory growth, not regeneration, but how does the liver knows what your liver mass is supposed to be?

Question:

If I donate 75% of my liver at age 5 the rest of 25% of the liver grows up to about 500g(100% liver mass) and it stops. Which I assume to be the normal mass for liver at age 5.

If I donate 75% of my liver at age 30 the rest of 25% of the liver grows up to about 1kg(100% liver mass) and it stops. Which I assume to be the normal mass for liver at age 30.

What am I trying to prove here? Oh yes, why doesn't the liver grow to 500g when I am at age 30 but instead become 1kg which is the full liver mass at age 30?

If this compensatory growth of liver knows the full mass of the liver, then it is likely that it contains a signaling molecule that governs the full mass of our body at that age. The one that tells the liver to stop growing because it reaches 1kg at age 30.

P.S. What to do, lower the expression of this molecule, then regenerate the entire body to match the age.

Hmm, it's in the IPSC, Oct4 or Sox2. Choose wisely

Edited by fredreload