Is Atheism Dead? An Interesting Read.

ADeepThinker

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

I apologise. I went back and checked. I misread what you said. 

Completely understandable, Strange, there has been a LOT of stuff stuffed into the stuffing.  We'll have to remember how we did it when the Christmas turkey waddles in.

1 minute ago, Reg Prescott said:

What joke?

you're joking, right?  If not .. the Hi Jack I addressed you with .. arising from your mention of hijacking .. twice I am sure you mentioned hijacking .. yes, here is the evidence, "Whoops! Sorry to hijack your own hijacking."      Time for a break I'm thinking, but I don't want to miss anything either.

1 hour ago, beecee said:

:D No where near the facts that philosophical banter actually lacks.

Off topic.

1 hour ago, beecee said:

Not sure if one can believe what you say, particularly as you have given no reputable references, still, as I said, convention actually holds true in my opinion, and many, probably the vast majority, adhere in name only...eg: How many christians go to church on a Sunday...afterall that is one of the ten commandments...how many christians continue to lie through their teeth?

Even assuming that your figures were true (they aren't) it still would hardly show that religion was dying. The latest information from Pew research shows that religious people are more devout than before. At any rate, even assuming that people were becoming less religious, that would mean nothing about belief or disbelief in God.

1 hour ago, beecee said:

Of course there is....I for one, accept science and the scientific method because of the questions it has obviously answered, as well as the good it has done for mankind in general, despite your denial of those facts.

Irrelevant.

1 hour ago, beecee said:

Those are not really scientific questions although at least in one case science does offer evidence in agreement. 

sadly for you, who is ignorant of the basics of science, you simply attempt to practise your philosophy on others. As I said, I don't hold to the terms atheists, agnostics, or theists, rather I follow the observations, experimental successes and sensibility of the scientific method in rejecting that which is supernatural, paranormal as totally unscientific. 

Off topic.

Just now, coffeesippin said:

Strange and whoever or whoever .. What I wrote was:  "Stephen Hawking seems to have necessitated for himself his own formal unbelief in God ..." 

I see, my bad, but why did you mention his split with his wife? how is that relevant to anything in this thread? Atheism is nothing more than not accepting the premise that gods exist, I don't accept the premise that bigfoot exists either, or that UFOs are alien spacecraft, or that Trump is a genius. These things might be true... well except for Trump being a genius but once you start accepting things on faith or simply without evidence you leave yourself open to all god concepts, fairies, elves, ghosts, alien abduction, the list is long and silly. You want me to believe in unsupported nonsense, show me it's real world effects and connect the dots between your nonmaterial supernatural assertions and the effects you or anyone else claims, this goes for anyone who asserts anything without evidence... Show me... 

Hell I can make a better case for Some UFOs being alien spacecraft than any god claim I have ever heard and the BB? Really? You really think the Big Bang is connected to anything but our attempts to mathematically describe the point in time just after the expansion of the universe started? Are you going to go for evolution next? I suggest you send a few hours perusing this forum and see how these subjects have been pwned to death before you come out of the gate like a rodeo bull with it's testicals in a bind. 

BTW, you are 75 and and still ignorant about reality? I've around ten years younger and I figured out how ignorant I was 30 years ago.. 

17 minutes ago, Reg Prescott said:

Preaching? You mean like this comment below? (and many others similar to it)

"All science is speculation until shown otherwise. That is the greatest benefit of science and the scientific method." (page 2)

No evidence was provided to support the existence of this supposed entity called "The Scientific Method". I personally consider the evidence for the existence of "The Scientific Method" to be exiguous at best, on a par with the evidence for God perhaps. Many others, including Nobel Prize-winning scientists agree with me. But said poster "insists it is correct while ignoring reasoned, supported arguments against it".

As you rightly say, it is indeed "a waste of time trying to discuss anything with a preacher" since he is "unwilling to change their mind after hearing the best supported argument".

Whoops! Sorry to hijack your own hijacking.

The scientific method works, religion and god don't even suck hind tit.. 

19 minutes ago, Zosimus said:

I think we all know that the textbook definition of atheism doesn't match up with how the word is actually used on a daily basis.

As this is a forum of people using English on a daily basis, and not a text book, let's stick with the meaning everyone understands 

57 minutes ago, beecee said:

The death of Atheism is associated with the reverse I suggest, and the more likley for the reasons I have stated...that is, the conforming to religious beliefs as simply traditional and in name only and fear of the unknown.

The only post devoid of fact is your own.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/21/christianity-non-christian-europe-young-people-survey-religion

'Christianity as default is gone': the rise of a non-Christian Europe

Figures show a majority of young adults in 12 countries have no faith, with Czechs least religious:

"Europe’s march towards a post-Christian society has been starkly illustrated by research showing a majority of young people in a dozen countries do not follow a religion.

The survey of 16- to 29-year-olds found the Czech Republic is the least religious country in Europe, with 91% of that age group saying they have no religious affiliation. Between 70% and 80% of young adults in Estonia, Sweden and the Netherlands also categorise themselves as non-religious.

The most religious country is Poland, where 17% of young adults define themselves as non-religious, followed by Lithuania with 25%."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And obviously one can also read into that an even larger percenatge simply claiming belief, because they believe it the right thing to do and traditional.

I was unaware that Europe was the only place in the universe. My apologies. [/sarcasm]

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/05/christians-remain-worlds-largest-religious-group-but-they-are-declining-in-Europe/

Christians had the most births and deaths of any religious group in recent years, according to our demographic models. Between 2010 and 2015, an estimated 223 million babies were born to Christian mothers and roughly 107 million Christians died – a natural increase of 116 million....

Not all babies will remain in the religion of their mother, of course. In some countries, including the United States, it is fairly common for adults to leave their childhood religion and switch to another faith (or no faith). Globally, however, the effect of religious switching is overshadowed by the impact of differences in fertility and mortality.

For heaven's sake MODERATOR the question's been answered close the thread before we start firing Missals at each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

1 minute ago, Zosimus said:

I was unaware that Europe was the only place in the universe. My apologies. [/sarcasm]

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/05/christians-remain-worlds-largest-religious-group-but-they-are-declining-in-Europe/

Christians had the most births and deaths of any religious group in recent years, according to our demographic models. Between 2010 and 2015, an estimated 223 million babies were born to Christian mothers and roughly 107 million Christians died – a natural increase of 116 million....

Not all babies will remain in the religion of their mother, of course. In some countries, including the United States, it is fairly common for adults to leave their childhood religion and switch to another faith (or no faith). Globally, however, the effect of religious switching is overshadowed by the impact of differences in fertility and mortality.

"What is born of the flesh is flesh .. what is born of the spirit is spirit."  John 3:6

26 minutes ago, Reg Prescott said:

Preaching? You mean like this comment below? (and many others similar to it)

"All science is speculation until shown otherwise. That is the greatest benefit of science and the scientific method." (page 2)

No evidence was provided to support the existence of this supposed entity called "The Scientific Method". I personally consider the evidence for the existence of "The Scientific Method" to be exiguous at best, on a par with the evidence for God perhaps. Many others, including Nobel Prize-winning scientists agree with me. But said poster "insists it is correct while ignoring reasoned, supported arguments against it".

As you rightly say, it is indeed "a waste of time trying to discuss anything with a preacher" since he is "unwilling to change their mind after hearing the best supported argument".

Whoops! Sorry to hijack your own hijacking.

If preaching means trying to convert the other person to your point of view, then we're all doing it.

10 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I see, my bad, but why did you mention his split with his wife? how is that relevant to anything in this thread? Atheism is nothing more than not accepting the premise that gods exist, I don't accept the premise that bigfoot exists either, or that UFOs are alien spacecraft, or that Trump is a genius. These things might be true... well except for Trump being a genius but once you start accepting things on faith or simply without evidence you leave yourself open to all god concepts, fairies, elves, ghosts, alien abduction, the list is long and silly. You want me to believe in unsupported nonsense, show me it's real world effects and connect the dots between your nonmaterial supernatural assertions and the effects you or anyone else claims, this goes for anyone who asserts anything without evidence... Show me... 

Hell I can make a better case for Some UFOs being alien spacecraft than any god claim I have ever heard and the BB? Really? You really think the Big Bang is connected to anything but our attempts to mathematically describe the point in time just after the expansion of the universe started? Are you going to go for evolution next? I suggest you send a few hours perusing this forum and see how these subjects have been pwned to death before you come out of the gate like a rodeo bull with it's testicals in a bind. 

BTW, you are 75 and and still ignorant about reality? I've around ten years younger and I figured out how ignorant I was 30 years ago.. 

The scientific method works, religion and god don't even suck hind tit.. 

Moon .. If you're talking (writing) to me, your first mistake is that I'm not 75, but it typifies your other mistakes.