GoFundMe To Help Daedalus

Daedalus

Hello everyone!
It has been a while since I was active in the forum. Sure, I post a song here and there, but I just can't participate like I used to. I'm still having problems with my left hip even though I had a hip replacement back in April, 2017. Since then, I lost my job and medical insurance because I simply can't sit and write code for hours on end due to the extreme pain in my left hip. I lost my job as a software engineer in the middle of being treated by my doctor and they want a $500 deposit to continue treating me. Unfortunately, I don't have any income, I'm unable to work, and I've blown through my savings on living expenses and doctor bills. Most likely, I will need a revision done on my hip replacement to fix whatever is wrong so that I can go back to work and be a productive member of society. So, I'm reaching out to the community and asking for your help! The following link is to my GoFundMe campaign. I've attached photos of how my surgeries went so you will understand how much pain I'm actually experiencing.

It's ok if you can't donate. You can help me out tremendously just by sharing this link! Every little bit helps!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/clevelandraymond

Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate anything you can do. Not only does your efforts mean the world to me, but also to my family as well.

!

Moderator Note

Daedelus approached us to coordinate this with the Admins and Mods. We've helped out a member in need before, so please feel free to participate (or not). 

We wish Daedelus the best of luck in funding his treatments. Thanks to everyone for spending your time here, in reasoned dialogue and intellectual honesty. SFN members are fantastic!

1 hour ago, Daedalus said:

Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate anything you can do. Not only does your efforts mean the world to me, but also to my family as well.

I hope all works out for you and the family. All the best!

I talked to my doctor today and he is going to work with me regarding the $500 deposit. I have an appt. on the 28th! I haven't met my funding goal yet but, thanks to everyone who is helping me, I am able to go to the doctor. I truly appreciate all of the help. I've been with SFN since 2011, and I've always said that our community is one of the best on the internet! Thank you!!!

The doctor compared my x-rays from the day I had my hip replacement to today and said that the socket has shifted, which may be the reason I'm having so much pain. He is ordering an MRI and another test, but said we can fix this so that I'm no longer hurting once we are certain what the problem is.

21 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

The doctor compared my x-rays from the day I had my hip replacement to today and said that the socket has shifted, which may be the reason I'm having so much pain. He is ordering an MRI and another test, but said we can fix this so that I'm no longer hurting once we are certain what the problem is.

So glad you got to it quickly.

Keep at it.

:)

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, zapatos said:

Glad to see you back. Did you have any success?

Yes and no... Thanks to everyone's help, I was able to get the bone scan, but I will need another surgery to correct the problem. The artificial socket has shifted and is what is causing my pain. Although I raised enough money to get the tests done, cover the office visits, and get some medications, I didn't get enough to cover the surgery. So, I've halted my fund raising and contacted a law firm who is doing a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers of various artificial hips. If the model that I have is among the list of hips that are known to cause problems, there's a chance that I can get the money to have the revision done if they win the case. The other option is to try and get social security disability, which you have to be on for 2 years before you can get medicaid, or I can try to find a telecommute job and tough it out until I get health insurance. None of the options are idea, but I really don't have many choices considering that I'm determined to get my hip fixed.

Good luck sir.

Makes you wonder how lucky you are living in a first world country the west where we get healthcare as part of our national insurance contributions. It's worth paying the un-noticeable extra tax so everyone can have a safety net if they need medical care. Medical care should not be for the rich and wealthy alone. :-( 

13 minutes ago, DrP said:

Makes you wonder how lucky you are living in a first world country the west where we get healthcare as part of our national insurance contributions. It's worth paying the un-noticeable extra tax so everyone can have a safety net if they need medical care. Medical care should not be for the rich and wealthy alone. :-( 

Even in countries with national health care, they don't typically cover this. They'll often prescribe pain medication instead. And in the few countries that do, patients often wait years, if not the rest of their life, for the surgery. 

28 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

Even in countries with national health care, they don't typically cover this. They'll often prescribe pain medication instead. And in the few countries that do, patients often wait years, if not the rest of their life, for the surgery. 

And your point is?

33 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hip-replacement/risks/

Not sure where you got your info, but it seems as though the NHS would recommend a second surgery, and it looks like it's covered. 

Being fair - I have no personal experience with hip replacements.  I've know a few people with knee replacements though.  My Mum had to wait about 8 months for hers I think. It was painful at first but now she's fine again.

42 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Not sure where you got your info, but it seems as though the NHS would recommend a second surgery, and it looks like it's covered. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hip-replacement/ 

From the link:

A hip replacement is a major surgery, so is normally only recommended if other treatments, such as physiotherapy or steroid injections, haven't helped reduce pain or improve mobility.

This is similar to what I said. They don't typically cover it. They'll often prescribe pain medication instead.

Note, I didn't say they'll never cover it. I just said they typically don't. 

However this is off topic and I"m not going to reply further than this.

47 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

And your point is?

My point was that it wasn't as simple as DrP made it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

From the link:

A hip replacement is a major surgery, so is normally only recommended if other treatments, such as physiotherapy or steroid injections, haven't helped reduce pain or improve mobility.

This is similar to what I said. They don't typically cover it. They'll often prescribe pain medication instead.

So they only prescribe surgery as a last resort  -  well that's good to know. So - they do 'typically cover it' but only when they are sure it is really necessary.

You are right though - sorry for dragging it off topic.

1 hour ago, Raider5678 said:

The important point is that the NHS won't say "Go away until you've got some money". The delay is not caused by an institutional policy to do so but by practical limitations and availability of the necessary resources. The US is the richest nation in the world and Daedalus is going through this shit; great advert for the American health model... not.

Edited by StringJunky

On 2/8/2019 at 3:25 AM, Raider5678 said:

The point is that any first world nation should morally and ethically have some form of universal health care, for all its citizens. It is a basic human right. In my country all wage earners contribute to the scheme via a small levy on their earnings. Private health insurance on top of that levy, is optional. In essence then, this also covers all children, those out of work, and retirees and Pensioners of which I am one. Many first world nations have variations, and similarities to such a scheme,  some maybe better, and why there is any divide on such an issue based on political agenda and whether one votes Republic and/or Democrat, is immoral and unethical. 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:25 AM, StringJunky said:

The important point is that the NHS won't say "Go away until you've got some money". The delay is not caused by an institutional policy to do so but by practical limitations and availability of the necessary resources. The US is the richest nation in the world and Daedalus is going through this shit; great advert for the American health model... not.

More to the point, a bloody disgrace.