Methylmercury

revinsideAAA

31 minutes ago, revinsideAAA said:

Suggest ways to detect and remove methylmercury from fish but don't forget that the fish must remain safe for eating. 

Instead of detecting and removing toxic compounds from wild seawater fishes, easier would be to not let fishes consume Mercury compounds.

That can be done by using fish farms, in which you can control environment (water quality) and what fishes are eating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_farming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_hatchery

5 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Instead of detecting and removing toxic compounds from wild seawater fishes, easier would be to not let fishes consume Mercury compounds.

That can be done by using fish farms, in which you can control environment (water quality) and what fishes are eating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_farming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_hatchery

Unfortunately, I just need to remove the mercury from the fish

5 minutes ago, revinsideAAA said:

Unfortunately, I just need to remove the mercury from the fish

I can't see how you can do that without physically damaging the fish because the mercury is locked up in each cell.

Edited by StringJunky

22 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I can't see how you can do that without physically damaging the fish because the mercury is locked up in each cell.

I am participating in a school chemistry tournament. There is such a task
I use google translate that's why may be mistakes.

1 hour ago, revinsideAAA said:

Given the toxicity of mercury compounds, I am surprised at this.

Try googling "extraction of methylmercury"; that should get you several results related to plant and animal tissues.

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Given the toxicity of mercury compounds, I am surprised at this.

Try googling "extraction of methylmercury"; that should get you several results related to plant and animal tissues.

I found it on the Internet
Approximately three-quarters of the total mercury content originally present in tuna fish could be removed by two-hour extraction of one part of shredded precooked fish with 7.5 parts of dilute hydrochloric acid containing 0.33% cysteine hydrochloride. Nearly two-thirds of the mercury could be removed from 1.5 cm thick slices of precooked fish by 24-hour extraction under the same conditions, at about 2 °C.

However, this is probably wrong

23 hours ago, revinsideAAA said:

Approximately three-quarters of the total mercury content originally present in tuna fish could be removed by two-hour extraction of one part of shredded precooked fish with 7.5 parts of dilute hydrochloric acid containing 0.33% cysteine hydrochloride. Nearly two-thirds of the mercury could be removed from 1.5 cm thick slices of precooked fish by 24-hour extraction under the same conditions, at about 2 °C.

After this treatment the fish is also not eatable anymore. HCl will destroy the aminoacids as well.

That is hydrolysis of a protein into amino acids, and it is a pretty sluggish reaction.  Typically it is performed at 110 °C in constant boiling HCl for 24 hours on a protein to effect complete hydrolysis.  I would assume that "dilute" hydrochloric means 1 M, but I am not sure.

On 16/11/2018 at 4:15 PM, revinsideAAA said:

I use google translate that's why may be mistakes.

Perhaps this school project is meant to push home the fact that there is no known way of removing the mercury and rendering the fish safe to eat.

Is your school somewhere in the Pacific, perhaps near where there is a particular mercury problem?

Edited by studiot