Best places in space too place computers?

Even if you put a computer in orbit, the difference in speed due to time dilation is insignificant. If we take the example of GPS satellites: "The combination of these two relativitic effects means that the clocks on-board each satellite should tick faster than identical clocks on the ground by about 38 microseconds per day"

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

You would also have trouble with power and heat dissipation. 

Even if you were to remove your computer to a point as far from any mass as possible, it would only gain ~ 2/100 of a sec of computing time per year as compared to being on the surface of the Earth.  You would waste much, much much more time communicating with it due to signal delay.  It just isn't a viable idea.  While there are places in the universe where time runs much slower than it does on the Earth ( which is the opposite of what you would want), there is no place where time runs significantly faster.

Just now, Janus said:

Even if you were to remove your computer to a point as far from any mass as possible, it would only gain ~ 2/100 of a sec of computing time per year as compared to being on the surface of the Earth.  You would waste much, much much more time communicating with it due to signal delay.  It just isn't a viable idea.  While there are places in the universe where time runs much slower than it does on the Earth ( which is the opposite of what you would want), there is no place where time runs significantly faster.

I meant "spend" time with the view of time as a resource, should have thought more about my wording. So i meant a place with time passing slowly.  Because if you had time pass twice(just example number) as slow somewhere your computer would achieve twice as much in your wait time wouldn't  it? So i think time passing slowly for the computer would be better, unless im confused.

4 minutes ago, Question about supercomput said:

I meant "spend" time with the view of time as a resource, should have thought more about my wording. So i meant a place with time passing slowly.  Because if you had time pass twice(just example number) as slow somewhere your computer would achieve twice as much in your wait time wouldn't  it? So i think time passing slowly for the computer would be better, unless im confused.

The best time dilation you can possibly achieve is insignificant, as has been explained twice.

1 minute ago, Question about supercomput said:

Yes, you are confused.  If I have a computer that does 1 trillion calculations per sec. and put it somewhere where time runs 1/2 as fast as where I am, then, for me that the computer only performs at 500 billion calculations per sec.  I will have doubled my wait time, not halved it.

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

Yes, you are confused.  If I have a computer that does 1 trillion calculations per sec. and put it somewhere where time runs 1/2 as fast as where I am, then, for me that the computer only performs at 500 billion calculations per sec.  I will have doubled my wait time, not halved it.

oh i meant the computer experiencing time like someone aging twice as much as a someone on earth. Just read online a blackhole could theoretically make use of time dilation for a computer. Sorry didnt think i would find an answer with searching more.

Edited by Question about supercomput

12 minutes ago, Question about supercomput said:

Just read online a blackhole could theoretically make use of time dilation for a computer.

Can you post a link to that because it seems wrong.

Time dilation means that we would see someone near a black hole age more slowly, their clock running more slowly and their computer executing instructions more slowly.

If you want supercomputer/computer/microcomputer/smartphone to process the more data at the same time you should do:

1) Optimize your algorithm.

2) Review compiler assembler output to check what has been generated. e.g. if you won't turn on Floating Model: Fast in Visual Studio, floating point operations can be utterly tragic slow. Default compiler option is Precise. Not all programmers (especially people who don't know assembler) are aware of what this option is doing (therefor they don't switch it every time they're making new Visual Studio C/C++ project). This shows how important is programmer's intelligence, knowledge and competence.

3) Replace Java code by C/C++ (the most time consuming tasks), if it's not enough replace it by assembler.

4) Use gfx cards (OpenCL and CUDA) instead of CPU. Now they have 1024+ cores. And you can buy motherboards which allow couple such cards to be inserted in them at the same time.

etc. etc.

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, Question about supercomput said:

Yeah ok https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3wbvyy/is_there_any_way_because_of_time_dilation_to_get/

When i copy and paste the specific post i just get a link to the page so you will have too scroll for it.

Well, I skimmed through that. 

One person suggests putting the computer in space and then you go near a black hole for a while. That would work. So you could come back a year later and the computer will have done 100 years of computation. That's OK except everyone you know will be dead.

Another says you can put the computer near a black hole, which is just wrong.

One talks about hyper computation using GR. I am not familiar with this as a concept but as he points out that the results would only be available to someone inside the black hole, it isn't very useful. He also says that this probably means that these solutions to GR are not realistic.