Auto ignite match stick

iwebmaster

I'm guessing another possibility might be sodium chlorate, spread on iron dust on the sheet. It gives off oxygen, which might be pure enough to ignite a match, especially if you prepared the match by nicking it, or putting a dab of something very combustible on it.

8 minutes ago, mistermack said:

iron dust

Iron dust isn't something you can see through. so it's not what is spread on the paper.

8 minutes ago, mistermack said:

sodium chlorate, spread on iron dust on the sheet. It gives off oxygen,

Not at any sensible rate.

9 minutes ago, mistermack said:

which might be pure enough to ignite a match, e

A match wouldn't light in pure oxygen.

10 minutes ago, mistermack said:

if you prepared the match by nicking it,

Why would that help?

10 minutes ago, mistermack said:

or putting a dab of something very combustible on it.

Match heads are already very combustible.

4 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

A match wouldn't light in pure oxygen.

Maybe not, but lots of things do. I used to specify control valves, and the ones for oxygen use had to have special cleaning including thorough degreasing as any trace of contaminant could spontaneously ignite. A tiny spot of something reactive on the match might be enough.

I doubt if it is oxygen, it was just a thought. It would be hard to generate enough to raise the ambient concentration, I expect.

• Strange changed the title to Auto ignite match stick
59 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I used to specify control valves, and the ones for oxygen use had to have special cleaning including thorough degreasing as any trace of contaminant could spontaneously ignite.

I'm glad they were cleaned properly.

Do you understand why grease etc in them would ignite?

It's not the presence of pure oxygen- that doesn't cause a fire with many things (apart from those that will catch fire in air).
When you open the cylinder head valve, the inlet of the regulator or valve is suddenly rammed full of high pressure gas.
The sudden increase in pressure raises the temperature (like a diesel engine) and that will ignite stuff.
In the presence of pure oxygen, under high pressure, that fire will be particularly intense- even the metal of the regulator may catch fire in those circumstances.

But the guys hands holding the matches are not in 2000 PSI oxygen.

I did a little research and found a few formula, but I am not sure if these can ignite or blast. please have a look at the image attached. I know sodium chlorate or chloric acid can ignite but these need to be touched by match stick and I am looking for a solution/ vapour which can ignite the match stick from distance.

IMG-20181023-WA0004.jpg

1 hour ago, NortonH said:

I have to say that I am not comfortable with the desecration and burning of The Holy Koran.

I dare you to post this anywhere with your name to it!

Brother they're not burning Holy Koran, Its just an old stamp paper in URDU language. 

16 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

The sudden increase in pressure raises the temperature (like a diesel engine) and that will ignite stuff.

That sounds reasonable, although it wasn't explained that way to me at the time. Oxygen service was checked again and again, it was considered so hazardous, everything had to be a special grade of stainless, and all the seals special materials, and then a special degreasing regime at the end. My role was just to put the flow characteristics into a pre-determined formula, before today's computer programs became widespread. 

Setting up infra-red lasers seems like a lot of effort for a party trick, but it looks the best suggestion so far.

9 hours ago, NortonH said:

I have to say that I am not comfortable with the desecration and burning of The Holy Koran.

I dare you to post this anywhere with your name to it!

You really had to go out of your way for this bit of misinterpretation. If you're trying to hate-hijack this thread, please go away.

8 hours ago, iwebmaster said:

I did a little research and found a few formula, but I am not sure if these can ignite or blast. please have a look at the image attached. I know sodium chlorate or chloric acid can ignite but these need to be touched by match stick and I am looking for a solution/ vapour which can ignite the match stick from distance.

IMG-20181023-WA0004.jpg

Brother they're not burning Holy Koran, Its just an old stamp paper in URDU language. 

Some Muslim he is. :) 

I saw NortonH's  comment about the Koran and wondered about it.
I plead ignorance of the languages and alphabets, but the pictures of animals made me think it almost certainly wasn't that Book.

Anyway, sulphuric acid would rot the paper instantly. And it still wouldn't provide the "action at a distance" effect that we see here.

There's a fundamental problem with the idea of some magic chemical here.
Anything volatile enough to set up a high concentration of vapour an inch or so from the paper would be so volatile you wouldn't be able to keep it in an open cup. But with a plausible- i.e. much lower- concentration, it would be difficult to have an effect.