An area that can get flooded and stay like that for years

Derekhhh

Hi guys,

I’m a script writer and I have a situation that I’d like help with. In the story,  I have a location that used to have connecting roads but there was some kind of flood.  I want the flood to have lasted years and years, and to now be residing, so someone could take a Jeep on the roads and  manage to drive through them, despite the water being about a foot high.

I am trying to explain how the flood happened, what kind of area it could happen, and how a smart character was able to figure out that the roads would be drivable in his Jeep again.  I’m also trying to figure out how a flood could last years and years.. or even turn a land into marshlands.

im pretty flexible on the years and years part.

i appreciate it!

11 hours ago, Derekhhh said:

Hi guys,

I’m a script writer and I have a situation that I’d like help with. In the story,  I have a location that used to have connecting roads but there was some kind of flood.  I want the flood to have lasted years and years, and to now be residing, so someone could take a Jeep on the roads and  manage to drive through them, despite the water being about a foot high.

I am trying to explain how the flood happened, what kind of area it could happen, and how a smart character was able to figure out that the roads would be drivable in his Jeep again.  I’m also trying to figure out how a flood could last years and years.. or even turn a land into marshlands.

im pretty flexible on the years and years part.

i appreciate it!

I agree with Endy, but here is some more flesh on his bones.

:)

First you need to decide whether your flood is saltwater (the sea) or freshwater and also what part of the world the story is set in.

A freshwater flood will remain in low lying areas that are normally artificially drained such as the 'Low countries' (The Netherlands, Belgium etc) the Fens and the Levels in England, deltas of some significant rivers eg the Indus, Ganges, Mekong, Misissippi.

Persistent saltwater floods can be cause by excessive mangrove removal parts of the coasts of Asia and the Americas, rising sea levels small islands eg the Maldives.

A very good reference for this sort of thing is given in this book going all the way back to lost cities in ancient China.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q%3Dtbn:ANd9GcQxBKOqoBHz2NCsO7pp90LU_5uTVhknhofX73ZrihonFBNBw8hs&imgrefurl=https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Attacking_Ocean.html?id%3Do9b_2AWrqMkC%26source%3Dkp_cover&h=1080&w=701&tbnid=xV-hl6mRskV-HM:&q=brian+fagan+the+attacking+ocean&tbnh=160&tbnw=103&usg=AI4_-kRokz-rdy7YyceidnQFiGqRZRz4kw&vet=12ahUKEwjj0t68hb3eAhVSjqQKHeNdAXIQ_B0wFHoECAQQEQ..i&docid=lm-AOCvBADo8rM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjj0t68hb3eAhVSjqQKHeNdAXIQ_B0wFHoECAQQEQ

A large subduction zone earthquake would do it.  After the shaking stops a large area might permanently sink several feet.  Usually along ocean coastlines.  The Pacific Northwest Cascadian Subduction  Zone USA earthquake could do this.  Even after some liquefaction or a very large tsunami run up.  Such a mega quake would deter or slow down emergency response in some places for many months .... possibly in some area for years.  A new coast line.

Edited by HB of CJ