Buffer solutions **URGENT**

jazzoff

Thank you for your advice, but I don't like the way you are talking to me. I am just 14 and I don't understand what the links are talking about. They are too difficult for me. I really tried to understand the contents in the links. At least the others are more helpful. I am really hurt by your critical remarks.

Jesus.

wikipedia.org

Applications

Their resistance to changes in pH makes buffer solutions very useful for chemical manufacturing and essential for many biochemical processes.

Buffer solutions are necessary to keep the right pH for enzymes in many organisms to work. A lot of enzymes work only under very precise conditions, if the pH strays too far out of the margin the enzymes slow or stop working and the organism dies. A buffer of carbonic acid (H2CO3) and bicarbonate (HCO3-) is present in blood plasma, to maintain a pH between 7.35 and 7.45.

Industrially buffer solutions are useful in fermentation processes, and for setting the correct conditions for the dyes used in colouring fabrics.

So we see from wikipedia that Buffer solutions are used to stabalise solutions for enzymes to work. It's not a massive leap of logic to realise that cleaning products may use enzymes. A quick google returns over 200,000 results to look through and confims that there are enzyme based cleaning products.

Now, lets look at antacid: -

wikipedia.org

Antacid

An antacid is any substance, usually a base, that counteracts stomach acidity. It is taken by mouth to relieve heartburn, sour stomach, or acid indigestion. Most antacids buffer gastric acid, raising the pH to reduce acid damage. If antacids are ineffective, medication (H2-receptor antagonists or proton pump inhibitors) may relieve the symptoms. Poor response to medication may be a reason to suspect an underlying medical condition.

Now, what does a buffer solution do? It stabilises PH. What does an Antacid do? It stabilises PH.

That is very nice of you. And let me tell you, if you are going to write such vague answers in the exams, they are going to give you a zero. If you don't BOTHER to give answers, then please don't. I learn nothing and you are just wasting your time.

It's all right to say that word in my face. But you have just shown the whole community how rude and uncivilised you are. I know you have a point in your advice, but that word ruins everything.

I shall construct my own answers, as what you have said, and I just hope you never use that awful word again.

Thank you for your advice, but I don't like the way you are talking to me.

Most of us have spent years in the education system, and we know perfectly well that you will not be tested on anything that you have not been (a) taught or (b) expected to self-study, so we're not terribly sympathetic.

nah, she's 14, jus leave her alone. but, jazzoff, I don't think it's a good idea to "flame" the forum. Don't care about what people say about you; some are just outspoken.

Hmmm....I have read most of your posts, and I think you are rather sensitive to what people say about you.

I sound like a grown-up, don't I? Hah, I am just 15 :D!

Hi.

Why do buffer solutions resist changes in pH? Please include appropriate chemical equations and calculations. Thank you, and pls reply ASAP, because it is very URGENT! :eek:

Luckily for you, I didn't see this post sooner. However, I'd like to point out quite strongly that we don't provide homework answers on here. Demanding them from people is neither polite, nor does it serve your purpose.

And let me tell you, if you are going to write such vague answers in the exams, they are going to give you a zero. If you don't BOTHER to give answers, then please don't. I learn nothing and you are just wasting your time.

Comments like this make me quite annoyed. It is not enough that you want your homework done for you, but you don't expect nothing less than pristine answers written out in perfect examination style to better your chances at passing? Quite frankly, your lack of respect for other members of this board is astounding.

That's not what SFN is all about. If you want your work done for you, then go elsewhere. I don't have time for this sort of rubbish.

Thread closed.