Make water expiration date go away

fredreload

It doesn't expire.  I suspect the manufacturers of the water drinks in bottles put a best before date on the bottle to cover them selves in case of bacterial growth in the water or something like that. That's my guess anyway. :) 

43 minutes ago, DrP said:

It doesn't expire.  I suspect the manufacturers of the water drinks in bottles put a best before date on the bottle to cover them selves in case of bacterial growth in the water or something like that. That's my guess anyway. :) 

You mean Prometheus D:? Water vacuum sealed and ultraviolet light germ destroyed. Well I've read somewhere that the substance in the plastic leaks into the water which is bad for health. And this guy who uses the same water bottle for 10 years for hot water had to cleanse his kidney because the plastic melts. So how safe is plastic+water+high temperature?

P.S. Nope, I've never drank anything warm in a plastic bottle, not even if it is heat reinforced, something taught to us kids long time ago by our parents

Edited by fredreload

Just now, fredreload said:

You mean Prometheus D:?

Don't know what that is sorry. 

1 minute ago, fredreload said:

And this guy who uses the same water bottle for 10 years for hot water

yea - I wouldn't fancy that either. Apparently you can get monomer or plasticizer leaching out of some plastics, yes. I believe that this is why we don't use polystyrene cups for tea anymore (you still get them at stalls at some fairs, but most are card or plastic now).   You can taste the styrene monomer.  A postgrad at our uni when I was there done some Mass Spec on his tea before and after it had been put into a polystyrene cup (he didn't like the taste and suspected something was up) and found styrene monomer had leached into his tea from the polystyrene cups that held hot tea.

6 minutes ago, fredreload said:

So how safe is plastic+water+high temperature?

It would depend on the plastic I reckon.

I wouldn't use plastic for any hot drinks. Not because I have information of chemical leakage, but because glass is easier to clean thoroughly and doesn't go soft. I re-use plastic cold water bottles filling them with tap or spring water. I don't think you get long term leakage of chemicals, it's probably first use that leaks, and that is tiny. 

Tap water is usually ok, it depends mainly on the pipes. The tap water where I live used to be bad till they replaced the pipes, now it seems good.

I got used to drinking spring water from Malvern (famous springs) years ago when the pipes were bad, and still do out of habit.  I get about 130 litres at a time from a stand pipe for free. 

9 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Microplastics found in human stools for the first time

I read recently that the micro plastic found in water purchased in bottles were mainly from the caps being unscrewed. The abrasion between the bottle and cap as it unscrews cause very fine micro shavings apparently (that or the seal being broken cause flakes, one or other or both, can't remember)  -  I can't reference that right now - I read it in an online article somewhere. ...  maybe IFLS or New Scientist or somewhere like that.

11 minutes ago, DrP said:

I read recently that the micro plastic found in water purchased in bottles were mainly from the caps being unscrewed. The abrasion between the bottle and cap as it unscrews cause very fine micro shavings apparently (that or the seal being broken cause flakes, one or other or both, can't remember)  -  I can't reference that right now - I read it in an online article somewhere. ...  maybe IFLS or New Scientist or somewhere like that.

Plastic from bottles is transparent while caps have colorful one (and made of more precious plastic, thus in some countries they're recycled in lotteries i.e. "return X caps, and you will receive free gift" or so). So it would be trivial to verify if plastic found in stomach/stools are from bottles or caps.

Edited by Sensei

3 hours ago, Sensei said:

Just recently released article on The Guardian (two weeks ago):

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/22/microplastics-found-in-human-stools-for-the-first-time

"Microplastics found in human stools for the first time *). Study suggests the tiny particles may be widespread in the human food chain"

*) hard to believe..

Probably from eating fish, I would say. I wonder if they found any in the stools from vegans?

Microplastics have been found in tap water, as well as soft drinks and *gasp*, beer.  For the most part one can consider it an ubiquitous contaminant.

4 hours ago, Strange said:

As much as anything else, I think it is because labelling laws require all foods to have either a "use by" or "best before" date. So they have to put something.

I am a bit rusty on that, but from what I remember it is not required for all foods. IIRC only food with a durable life of less than a certain amount of days (maybe 3 months? not sure) require labels. In all other instances the declaration is voluntary.