Time

Theredbarron

Why is time something and not just a measurement used by intellectual beings? We use it to determine the length of a period in which something exists. On the other hand existence is occupied by all. Existence is all. Time is ours. Existence is predictable. Intelligence agency's use this to predict events and activities using information from the past and present to determine the possible scenarios. So if you can predict the future events with any amount of accuracy you can place yourself ahead of time by time moving and not you. If the period of time is predicted then you can prevent it by creating events prior too the time that you want to change. You can also predict the flow of events like evolution. Using history and patterns plus the information from today can tell you possible futures. Certain events happen leading up to each one of the possible futures. Like predicting the weather. Once you can determine which events happen or are happening then you can change the pattern by making an event happen earlier then expected. Events can be anything in existence. A defense system in place before an offensive happens is predicting the future. Time is how its all measured and calculated. 

13 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

existence is occupied by all.

Existence is all.

Time is ours.

You sound like my Yoga teacher. I have a bad back so I have to cope with the "woo" in the Yoga class but what are you trying to say?
Are you trying to say time is cyclical? What are your sources? Ok maybe I went to far with the sources request. Can you please expand instead?

19 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

A defense system in place before an offensive happens is predicting the future.

Not really. I compared you to my nutty Yoga instructor so I am setting up a defensive brownie in place to cope with the potential offensive from you that might make me sad.
Unfortunately it's not seeing into the future. 

2 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Why is it called space time wrap and not existence?

Huh?

Space-time is a set of coordinate or dimensions that we use to measure the world around us. Existence is more than just space and time. There is matter and energy, for example. 

4 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Why is it called space time wrap and not existence?

Because of the juicy sauce that ties all 3 dimensions of space with a soft time tortilla dimension.

Spoiler

mushroom-spinach-tofu-wrap-3.thumb.jpg.bcb9a238209e0d7474039a5cfca8f12b.jpg

Edited by Silvestru

1 minute ago, Theredbarron said:

Why is it called space time is the question. not what it is. 

you cant answer that can you?

Dude, even I answered it in my tortilla post. 3 spatial dimensions + 1 temporal one.

space + time= "space time"TM

1 minute ago, Silvestru said:

Dude, even I answered it in my tortilla post. 3 spatial dimensions + 1 temporal one.

space + time= "space time"TM

Sorry I actually thought you were joking with that one. Doesn't temporal one mean temporary more or less?

What Im getting at is that energy cant be destroyed as far as I know. I though it can only transform. If thats the case then it never ends. How can it be temporal? Existence is energy right?

23 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Why is it called space time is the question.

Because it is made up of 4 dimensions, 3 spatial and one temporal.

Space is a location. Time is a measurement. None of which are the same thing. 

A location in space is specified by three coordinates, for example x, y, z or latitude, longitude, altitude. A "location" in time is specified by one value. Together, these can be used to specify a location in space-time (known as an "event"). So we end up with four-dimensional space-time.

15 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Sorry I actually thought you were joking with that one. Doesn't temporal one mean temporary more or less?

Temporal means related to time. Space <-> spatial; time <-> temporal.

(It is, of course, also related to temporary - for a short time. It's from Latin, you know.)

15 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

What Im getting at is that energy cant be destroyed as far as I know. I though it can only transform. If thats the case then it never ends. How can it be temporal?

It looks like the first part of this is just based on a misunderstanding of "temporal".

Existence is energy right?

There is more to existence than energy. (Mass, electric charge, colour "charge" of quarks, etc)

Edited by Strange

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

A location in space is specified by three coordinates, for example x, y, z or latitude, longitude, altitude. A "location" in time is specified by one value. Together, these can be used to specify a location in space-time (known as an "event"). So we end up with four-dimensional space-time.

By the "location in time" what do you mean? 

1 minute ago, Theredbarron said:

By the "location in time" what do you mean? 

Well, we would normally call it "the time" but it gets confusing. We have more words related to space/distance/length/position/etc so it is easier to avoid ambiguity.

But think of it this way, you need four dimensions to specify an event. Say you want to meet somebody for lunch, this requires you to specify a position in space AND a time. So we have to use four independent values to specify the event. That is what we call "dimensions".

1 hour ago, DrP said:

Date and time?

To build on Strange's example:

Two men meet on a street corner and decide to meet up again later for lunch at a restaurant,  on the tenth floor of a building 5 blocks East and 7 blocks North of where they are, in 3 hrs.

They have given the location of an event in four dimensions (3 space and one time) relative to where they are and from that moment.  In this case the dimensional units for the vertical space dimension was in building floors, the horizontal space dimensions where given in units of blocks, and the time dimension was given in units of hours.

20 minutes ago, Janus said:

Two men meet on a street corner and decide to meet up again later for lunch at a restaurant,  on the tenth floor of a building 5 blocks East and 7 blocks North of where they are, in 3 hrs.

That's great. I have always struggled with how to make the 3 spatial dimensions explicit in an example like this. I shall pinch this!

2 hours ago, Janus said:

To build on Strange's example:

They have given the location of an event in four dimensions (3 space and one time) relative to where they are and from that moment.  In this case the dimensional units for the vertical space dimension was in building floors, the horizontal space dimensions where given in units of blocks, and the time dimension was given in units of hours.

So the numbers used is more like a snapshot of space time?