Did plants come from Fungi?

Can't really find out, if plants descended directly from fungi or, they are a form of competing/symbiotic relationship, or that the fungi simply controls the plant kingdom-

First half hour ish, is amazing.... Um, just implying that udont have to watch a 2hour video.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:16 AM, Dankfinger said:

Can't really find out, if plants descended directly from fungi or, they are a form of competing/symbiotic relationship, or that the fungi simply controls the plant kingdom-

First half hour ish, is amazing.... Um, just implying that udont have to watch a 2hour video.

No, plants didn't descend from fungi, nor did animals. The guy is an interesting and entertaining speaker, but he seems to get a lot wrong, for a "Ted speaker".

Plants and animals have a common ancestor with fungi, going back 1,500 million years. Animals didn't separate from fungi 650 million years ago. Fungi don't exhale oxygen and inhale carbon dioxide. And he even got the number of feet in a kilometre wrong. (2,200) . I think he was thinking about kg and pounds ? Metric tonnes?

That was just in the first few minutes. Interesting hat though.

• 1 month later...
On 30/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, mistermack said:

No, plants didn't descend from fungi, nor did animals. The guy is an interesting and entertaining speaker, but he seems to get a lot wrong, for a "Ted speaker".

Plants and animals have a common ancestor with fungi, going back 1,500 million years. Animals didn't separate from fungi 650 million years ago. Fungi don't exhale oxygen and inhale carbon dioxide. And he even got the number of feet in a kilometre wrong. (2,200) . I think he was thinking about kg and pounds ? Metric tonnes?

That was just in the first few minutes. Interesting hat though.

So, what is the common ancestor of both fungi, plants, and animals? some bacteria or?

And I don't think you should bash him too much, for a few "heat of the momment" hiccups, and ofcourse he knows what shrooms/mycellium breath and exhale, everyone who grown shrooms knows that they exhale CO2

6 hours ago, Dankfinger said:

So, what is the common ancestor of both fungi, plants, and animals? some bacteria or?

And I don't think you should bash him too much, for a few "heat of the momment" hiccups, and ofcourse he knows what shrooms/mycellium breath and exhale, everyone who grown shrooms knows that they exhale CO2

Last universal common ancestor

• 3 weeks later...