Democrats Get CRUSHED in 2018 Midterms!

iNow

4 hours ago, Ten oz said:

Florida's deadline for the machine recount was 3 p.m. Thursday, and while most of the 67 counties finished and submitted the new results in time, Broward County missed the deadline by two minutes, submitting its machine recount at 3:02 p.m. The state rejected Broward's submission.

OK, that seems to be arbitrarily stupid.

Edit: talking about stupid:

After spending more than 15 years studying ballot design, we are well aware that the layout, visual design and navigation of ballots matters and has affected the outcomes of elections, as it might have in Florida.

In Broward County, according to MCI Maps, about 3.7 percent (30,896) of voters skipped voting for U.S. senator — as much as 2.5 percent more than in most other counties, and a lot more than neighboring counties. In fact, more people in Broward County voted for the commissioner of agriculture and county CFO than for their U.S. senator. As of Sunday, the two Senate candidates are separated by 12,562 votes statewide; there were 24,992 fewer votes cast for senator than for governor in Broward.

[...]

It’s a common design: vertical page layout with three columns. The instructions start at the top of the left hand column. And there, tucked into the bottom left corner under the instructions and perhaps easily missed, are the candidates for senator and representative in Congress.

Considering all the effort surrounding elections and the fact that campaigning for the next election in the US pretty much seem start the day after any given election, this looks like a rather huge oversight...

7 hours ago, Ten oz said:

Difference being I am citing what is actually going on and you are quibing loose analogies. 

Difference being that I am making a sports analogy tongue-in-cheek, not even stating my opinion, and you are stating your opinion and claiming it as fact.

19 hours ago, Ten oz said:

One side is asking for an accurate count of votes and requesting the time needed for officials to perform such a count. The other side is attempting to prevent an accurate count.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:21 PM, J.C.MacSwell said:

Difference being that I am making a sports analogy tongue-in-cheek, not even stating my opinion, and you are stating your opinion and claiming it as fact.

You analogy implies the same both sides nonsense you consistently imply. Claiming you may or may not mean it is worthless. The sentiment is also poorly informed.  

When I make claims I nearly also provide a citation for the data I am citing. You just post "tungue-in-cheek" stuff you lack the intellectual integrity to even stand behind. 

Edited by Ten oz

4 hours ago, Ten oz said:

You analogy implies the same both sides nonsense you consistently imply. Claiming you may or may not mean it is worthless. The sentiment is also poorly informed.  

When I make claims I nearly also provide a citation for the data I am citing. You just post "tungue-in-cheek" stuff you lack the intellectual integrity to even stand behind. 

Is that like when you cite something that doesn't support your position, and when you have it pointed out you are unable to admit it because your confirmation bias is so high you cannot see that you are clearly wrong?

No. You just can't stand a moderate position where someone can see both sides. Everything is "False Equivalency!" if they don't see your's alone.

Even this...the latest you took exception to...if you were a Trump supporter I could see a mild objection to it...but no...not enough "Democrats can do no wrong" in it for your liking:

On 11/15/2018 at 7:06 PM, J.C.MacSwell said:

It seems more like a battle between two sports teams than an honest legal process...with Trump "rising" to WWE level.

• 2 weeks later...

No entirely surprising, but here is an interesting report on gerrymandered districts.

Some highlights, in NC Republicans got 50% of the votes, but won 10 out of 13 seats (or 77%). In Pennsylvania there was a court order to redraw the gerrymandered maps. Here, in 2016 Republicans had 54% of the votes but won 72% of the seats. In 2018 they got 45% of the votes but only gained 50% of the seats (i.e. the advantage diminished). There is a also some data showing how after the 2010 census Republican state legislators were able to massively increase their share of the seats whilst maintaining their share of the votes.

The Republicans drew their first maps — for Congress and for the state legislature — after the 2010 census. Federal courts found that those maps were unconstitutionally gerrymandered based on race, to which legislators responded in 2016 by drawing a second set based largely on party.

State Representative David Lewis, a Republican redistricting committee leader, openly called the congressional map a “political gerrymander” when it was drafted, and said it would produce 10 Republicans and three Democrats because “I do not believe it’s possible to draw a map with 11 Republicans and two Democrats.”

On 11/30/2018 at 2:49 PM, J.C.MacSwell said:

Meanwhile Trump being congratulated at the G20 on his "historic victory" in the midterms by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Apparently he must have read the title of this thread and looked no further into it...

Ignore the arabian peninsula!  Look at Trump's actions in Asia!

You want weapons, Trump sells you weapons.  Boeing.

Edited by MonDie

In Florida the list of uncounted votes continue to rise. Initial 4,000 ballots had been set aside by state officials for having questionable signature and now as ballots post marked from before the election ballot continue to trickle in another nearly  uncounted 7,000 ballots are being reported. The numbers are sure to raise Palm Beach and Polk have yet to report. 

"The Department of State late last week informed a federal judge that 6,670 ballots were mailed ahead of the Nov. 6 election but were not counted because they were not received by Election Day. The tally prepared by state officials includes totals from 65 of Florida’s 67 counties. The two counties yet to report their totals are Palm Beach, a Democratic stronghold in south Florida, and Polk in central Florida."

"Under Florida law, ballots mailed inside the United States must reach election offices by 7 p.m. on Election Day. Overseas ballots are counted if they are received up to 10 days after the election.

A group called VoteVets Action Fund along with two Democratic organizations filed a lawsuit a few days after the 2017 election that argued the ballots should count if they were mailed before Election Day.

But U.S. District Judge Mark Walker said the restriction was reasonable and that Florida election officials have a right to establish deadlines. He turned down an emergency request that all properly postmarked ballots received up to 10 days after the election be counted."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/thousands-mailed-ballots-florida-were-not-counted-n946306

• 2 months later...