Democrats Get CRUSHED in 2018 Midterms!

iNow

9 minutes ago, CharonY said:

So eight days in it looks like Dems picked up 34 seats (with  eight to go) , gained six governor seats (two being in recount)

I would say "should be recounted". To my knowledge GA officials have not agreed to a recount and in FL numerous lawsuits are being filed over which votes to count but no definitive recount is underway. 

12 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

I would say "should be recounted". To my knowledge GA officials have not agreed to a recount and in FL numerous lawsuits are being filed over which votes to count but no definitive recount is underway. 

I stand corrected, then. Also got Georgia wrong in as IIRC it would trigger a run-off and not a recount if they are close enough. Two errors. Yay.

Edit: there is an interesting article showing how voting blocks have changed over the years. 

8 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I stand corrected, then. Also got Georgia wrong in as IIRC it would trigger a run-off and not a recount if they are close enough. Two errors. Yay.

The whole process is frustrating Ensuring votes get counted correctly is such a basic thing. There needs to be better processes in place and recounts should me more routine. Far as I am concerned we should recount every race within 4%. I see no reason to risk important elections. Once all votes are in go back through and accurate certify the result. This should not be a partisan thing.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Don't move off-world to Io

What a volcanic suggestion! It’s be a tectonic shift for me and my family to move with such tidal force

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

you don't want to be a Utahn

They’re called Utahites... which is a bit of a double entendre bc if their most represented skin color

In Florida the deadline for a machine recount wasn't extended and several counties failed to produce results. Does anyone here have any idea what that means happens now? A manual recount would have been automatic had the machine recount been completed and the results were within 0.25% but in the absence of a machine recount it is unclear what happens far as I can tell. 

58 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

In Florida the deadline for a machine recount wasn't extended and several counties failed to produce results. Does anyone here have any idea what that means happens now? A manual recount would have been automatic had the machine recount been completed and the results were within 0.25% but in the absence of a machine recount it is unclear what happens far as I can tell. 

From Reuters:

If counties cannot meet those deadlines, the state will adopt the first round of tallies, which was submitted last Saturday.

So long as we have a count before the signing in, I’m unsure why we must rush toward seemingly arbitrary dates. 

Is finishing by a day this week more important than ensuring each vote counts and matters?

I should think not, but it’s hardly as if our processes are logical. 

I also find it troubling how we’re using lawsuits to prevent votes from being counted... how the president is claiming fraud and illegality when there’s no evidence of either... and how all of this is happening when one of the single most foundational aspects of our system is the peaceful transition of power. Even that too is now being eroded. 

Edited by iNow

16 minutes ago, iNow said:

So long as we have a count before the signing in, I’m unsure why we must rush toward seemingly arbitrary dates. 

Is finishing by a day this week more important than ensuring each vote counts and matters?

I also find it troubling how we’re using lawsuits to prevent votes from being counted... how the president is claiming fraud and illegality when there’s no evidence of either... and how all of this is happening when one of the single most foundational aspects of our system is the peaceful transition of power. Even that too is now being eroded. 

It seems more like a battle between two sports teams than an honest legal process...with Trump "rising" to WWE level.

19 minutes ago, iNow said:

Sadly this is nothing for Florida. In 2000 the initial machine recount had Bush ahead by 327 individual votes. The law allow Gore to challenge for a manual recount and State officials successful blocked it long enough for deadlines to elapses and eventually SCOTUS gave the win to Bush.   

The Florida election recount of 2000 was a period of vote recounting in Florida that occurred during the weeks after Election Day in the 2000 United States presidential election between George W. Bush and Al Gore. The Florida vote was ultimately settled in Bush's favor by a margin of 537 votes when the U.S. Supreme Court, in Bush v. Gore, stopped a recount that had been initiated upon a ruling by the Florida Supreme Court. That in turn gave Bush a majority of votes in the Electoral College and victory in the presidential election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida#Post-election_studies

Consider the President, Senate, and House are elected positions which impact national policy and not merely state policy I think it is ridiculous every state has their own standard for elections. There need to be a single national standard for elected officials who will be dealing directly with national policy. 

16 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

It seems more like a battle between two sports teams than an honest legal process...with Trump "rising" to WWE level.

You sure love your equivalencies. One side is asking for an accurate count of votes and requesting the time needed for officials to perform such a count. The other side is attempting to prevent an accurate count. Your analogy implies both team are being less than honest to the process. What specifically is Nelson or Gillum doing that you feel is less than honest to the process. 

By the way Republicans are favored to win a recount assuming one happens. 

@Ten ozThere's going to be a manual recount in Florida.

TAMPA, Fla. (Reuters) - Florida election officials on Thursday ordered a hand recount of ballots in a closely fought U.S. Senate race between Democratic incumbent Bill Nelson and his Republican challenger, Governor Rick Scott. - Reuters

1 hour ago, Ten oz said:

You sure love your equivalencies. One side is asking for an accurate count of votes and requesting the time needed for officials to perform such a count. The other side is attempting to prevent an accurate count. Your analogy implies both team are being less than honest to the process. What specifically is Nelson or Gillum doing that you feel is less than honest to the process. 

By the way Republicans are favored to win a recount assuming one happens. 

I guess I forgot to add that Brenda Snipes is at WWE referee level...

Honestly, I have no idea what is really going on in Florida...and I don't expect you do either

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

10 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I guess I forgot to add that Brenda Snipes is at WWE referee level...

Honestly, I have no idea what is really going on in Florida...and I don't expect you do either

Difference being I am citing what is actually going on and you are quibing loose analogies. 

11 hours ago, StringJunky said:

@Ten ozThere's going to be a manual recount in Florida.

Not for the Governor's race. 

After the machine recount was complete, Republican Ron DeSantis was still leading Democrat Andrew Gillum by approximately 0.4 percent of all ballots cast, falling short of the margin necessary to qualify for a manual recount. Here

Broward County wasn't able to submit their results. Broward county is Florida second most populated and strongly Democratic. 

Florida's deadline for the machine recount was 3 p.m. Thursday, and while most of the 67 counties finished and submitted the new results in time, Broward County missed the deadline by two minutes, submitting its machine recount at 3:02 p.m. The state rejected Broward's submission.