Apple wine

The Pike

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 3:45 PM, The Pike said:

Made apple wine in a stainless tank with a copper pipe immersion chiller. After several days noticed black deposit on copper. What is this and is it safe to drink? The ph was about 3.00 and approx 12% abv.

Drink the liquid without disturbing the deposit.........

5 hours ago, The Pike said:

If I wanted to spend time trawling through a chemistry book looking for an answer, I wouldn't have posted the qn here. Look 'smart-ass Knobhead' up in your chemistry book.

"two different metals in an acid bath"

lmgtfy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Galvanic corrosion (also called bimetallic corrosion) is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially when it is in electrical contact with another, in the presence of an electrolyte. A similar galvanic reaction is exploited in primary cells to generate a useful electrical voltage to power portable devices.

:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, The Pike said:

If I wanted to spend time trawling through a chemistry book looking for an answer, I wouldn't have posted the qn here. Look 'smart-ass Knobhead' up in your chemistry book.

Always wise to rely on forum posts when dealing with possible poisons. Only an idiot would look up things in text books. 

The surest method is to drink it all and observe and record the result. That's the scientific method.

33 minutes ago, mistermack said:

Always wise to rely on forum posts when dealing with possible poisons. Only an idiot would look up things in text books. 

The surest method is to drink it all and observe and record the result. That's the scientific method.

It's the 'empirical method' which is part of the scientific method but not wholly. Scientific method assumes some forethought as well which should embody some sort of safety in technique..

Edited by StringJunky

7 hours ago, The Pike said:

!

Moderator Note

It's right after "Lazy Dead Pike". Thread closed.