Turn my right arm into a whip

fredreload

I want to know how I can turn my right arm into a whip with DNA manipulation. Of course on a technical level. Does this genetic manipulation needs to be applied to the entire body or just the arm? Does the crispr I choose to take target a specific cell, for instance, the arm cell. Should I choose metamorphosis by manipulating every DNA in the body?

Why DNA manipulation? Why not just cut the fore-arm and stick a whip in there. Army of darkness style.

Also: what are you talking about? That's the most random question I ever heard. Did you imagine that there is a whip gene? And you get it into your bloodstream and become whip-man?

31 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

Why DNA manipulation? Why not just cut the fore-arm and stick a whip in there. Army of darkness style.

Also: what are you talking about? That's the most random question I ever heard. Did you imagine that there is a whip gene? And you get it into your bloodstream and become whip-man?

Eek, ya my question does seem kind of abrupt. Well, I never understood the concept of regeneration(thanks for fine tuning my question). Now regeneration is not a well understood ability, it could be an overexpression of certain molecules, or it could be a coordinated action, but my understanding is not there yet.

I will use lizard as an example, when the arm of a lizard is detached, it would regenerate an arm, but why does it not regenerate a leg in place of an arm? Where is this structural information of the arm stored? Is it stored in the DNA in the surrounding cells of the arm, or is it stored somewhere else like in the brain?

Edited by fredreload

3 hours ago, CharonY said:

This is clearly speculations material. All cells have the same DNA so that is not the information. Rather, cells communicate with each other to coordinate differentiation. 

Hmm, can you provide more insight as to how cells communicate to differentiate? What type of cell signaling pathway does it use? I've looked into various sources regarding this with no avail, does it work with microRNA? cell signaling proteins? Or membrane voltage control (Michael Levin's work)

P.S. The lizard regeneration suggests microRNA at work, but those could be just RNA strands found in the nucleus. Extracellular matrix is too broad

Edited by fredreload

24 minutes ago, fredreload said:

What type of cell signaling pathway does it use? I've looked into various sources regarding this with no avail, does it work with microRNA?

miRNA happens at the relative end of the signal cascade. Honestly, cell signaling and differentiation is a huge field with tons of books and even more papers on the subject. Other than pointing to biology text books and read up on cell differentiation as a starter I am not sure what to recommend. On top there is the whole literature regarding tissue regeneration, which looks more into the various layers of tissue, the cell types involved in damage recognition and repair and their control. Again, if you expect a short, easy to understand answer.. this is probably not the right topic.

2 minutes ago, CharonY said:

miRNA happens at the relative end of the signal cascade. Honestly, cell signaling and differentiation is a huge field with tons of books and even more papers on the subject. Other than pointing to biology text books and read up on cell differentiation as a starter I am not sure what to recommend. On top there is the whole literature regarding tissue regeneration, which looks more into the various layers of tissue, the cell types involved in damage recognition and repair and their control. Again, if you expect a short, easy to understand answer.. this is probably not the right topic.

A case of "How many years have you got..?" :) 

17 hours ago, CharonY said:

I am interested in the morphogens described here, but anyway I got my immortality recipe. Direct a 5 years old lizard morphogens into a lizards body and watch it regenerate into a 5 years old lizard.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, fredreload said:

how I can turn my right arm into a whip

Today I have been going around the factory with a lab clamp up my sleeve.  I let the clamp end stick out and wrap my sleeve around the bar and hold it.  I was telling people that I had my hand replaced for a clamp....   being honest - it seemed funnier when I first thought of the idea... it has received a mixed audience so far though and I think I am going to stop it....  too many people taking the piss and turning it into some kinda sexual oddity/weirdness - I don't need that for my reputation, people think I am a weird enough as it is.

1 hour ago, DrP said:

Today I have been going around the factory with a lab clamp up my sleeve.  I let the clamp end stick out and wrap my sleeve around the bar and hold it.  I was telling people that I had my hand replaced for a clamp....   being honest - it seemed funnier when I first thought of the idea... it has received a mixed audience so far though and I think I am going to stop it....  too many people taking the piss and turning it into some kinda sexual oddity/weirdness - I don't need that for my reputation, people think I am a weird enough as it is.

I know you take it hard. It wasn't meant to be anything sexual and it was just a thought experiment. However, I am onto something now. If the regeneration ability has the auto correct feature, ie if I stitch a foot onto the missing arm of a hydra and it auto correct this foot into an arm. It just might induce apoptosis on the immovable positioning of the brain(head), retaining the consciousness and original memory (with some memory missing) transforming it into a 5 years old body.

P.S. At the end of the day, when you get home, forget about work

Edited by fredreload

To be honest, if the technical ability was there, it would be incredibly wasteful to use it on a whip. 

I would recommend turning the arm into a vagina. Unless vaginas are not your thing. 

As well as the obvious benefits, it could help humanity, by massively reducing STDs and cutting overpopulation.

No need to worry about the ladies, they already have their appliances of science.

2 minutes ago, mistermack said:

To be honest, if the technical ability was there, it would be incredibly wasteful to use it on a whip. 

I would recommend turning the arm into a vagina. Unless vaginas are not your thing. 

As well as the obvious benefits, it could help humanity, by massively reducing STDs and cutting overpopulation.

No need to worry about the ladies, they already have their appliances of science.

Ya, I am a big fan of vagina lol, but it needs to be at the right spot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.