gray hair

donaldbathe

We kind of do:

The anti-cancer drug imatinib has recently been shown to reverse the graying process.[24] However, it is expensive and has potentially severe and deadly side effects, so it is not practical to use to alter a person's hair color. Nevertheless, if the mechanism of action of imatinib on melanocyte stem cells can be discovered, it is possible that a safer and less expensive substitute drug might someday be developed. It is not yet known whether imatinib has an effect on catalase, or if its reversal of the graying process is due to something else.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color#Gray_and_white_hair

Largely a result of genetics, so normal to occur. May be to signal maturity or just part of regular aging.

My hair comes out of the follicle black, which it was when I was younger but turns silver after a while with exposure to sunlight, so some sort of oxidation is involved with mine. When I cut it the roots are black where the sun hasn't reached it. I suspect the production of the pigment diminishes as I get older, enough for the sun to bleach it. You can always dye it if it bothers you.

Edited by StringJunky

7 hours ago, StringJunky said:

My hair comes out of the follicle black, which it was when I was younger but turns silver after a while with exposure to sunlight, so some sort of oxidation is involved with mine. When I cut it the roots are black where the sun hasn't reached it. I suspect the production of the pigment diminishes as I get older, enough for the sun to bleach it. You can always dye it if it bothers you.

It seems to be the result of two factors;  The reduction of pigment production, and the natural Hydrogen peroxide in your hair follicles which builds up over time and acts as a bleaching agent.

• 2 weeks later...

Melanocytes are particularly vulnerable to oxidative stress. When you grow older, your body creates less endogenous anti-oxidants.(like catalase, peroxide dismutase and glutathione) Then reactive oxygen species damage you melanocytes, which can give gray hair.

By sporting, you form reactive oxygen species (ROS) which form oxidative stress. As a defense mechanism your body creates endogenous anti -oxidants which can slow down certain symptoms you get from growing older.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:59 AM, Endy0816 said:

We kind of do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color#Gray_and_white_hair

Largely a result of genetics, so normal to occur. May be to signal maturity or just part of regular aging.

From the wikipedia: "The anti-cancer drug imatinib has recently been shown to reverse the graying process. However, it is expensive and has potentially severe and deadly side effects, so it is not practical to use to alter a person's hair color. Nevertheless, if the mechanism of action of imatinib on melanocyte stem cells can be discovered, it is possible that a safer and less expensive substitute drug might someday be developed. It is not yet known whether imatinib has an effect on catalase, or if its reversal of the graying process is due to something else."