how to lose weight?

Bucky Barnes

1 hour ago, Bucky Barnes said:

can you give me advice on losing weight please, i am 300 pounds and wanting to lose 80 pounds. how long would such process take. 

As StringJunky wrote, you need to take advice from a dietery expert especially if you plan on loosing lots of weight. If I were you I’d tailor my diet and excersizes according to my current health (run a blood test, blood preasure, measure your body fat percentage, etc)  You can be sure of one thing though, in order to loose weight you simply need to intake less calories than you burn - eat less and excersize more, its really that simple. Go see an expert and some tests, if youre fine and in good health start working out (preferably hard) and eating clean. Loosing weight will be just a nice addition to the muscle gains and good psychological health which you will see having when you start and sustain clean eating and excersizing. Good luck man. 

Eat lots of low-carb fruit and vegetables along with some lean protein food like lean steak or chicken. You have to fill your belly with something, or hunger will drive you mad. 

If I'm trying to lose weight, I eat huge salads, with added veg like peas, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and with ham chicken or lean steak or fish.

Avoiding potatoes and bread in any form.

Also, walking makes a huge difference. I used to think that because walking doesn't burn a huge number of calories, it wasn't doing much. But it definitely does make a big difference. It raises your metabolic rate for the rest of the day, and you lose more weight that way. That's the theory anyway, but whatever the mechanism, walking definitely accelerates weight loss a lot.

4 hours ago, mistermack said:

Eat lots of low-carb fruit and vegetables along with some lean protein food like lean steak or chicken. You have to fill your belly with something, or hunger will drive you mad. 

If I'm trying to lose weight, I eat huge salads, with added veg like peas, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and with ham chicken or lean steak or fish.

Avoiding potatoes and bread in any form.

Also, walking makes a huge difference. I used to think that because walking doesn't burn a huge number of calories, it wasn't doing much. But it definitely does make a big difference. It raises your metabolic rate for the rest of the day, and you lose more weight that way. That's the theory anyway, but whatever the mechanism, walking definitely accelerates weight loss a lot.

Very good advice.  Basically, if you are truly, very hungry, even healthy foods taste great.  Raw vegetables taste great!  Don't be afraid to fast a little now and then and always drink lots of water.  People generally have too much fun eating.  Have fun doing OTHER things, eat for fuel.  Think of food as fuel for your car.  You want high mileage, not a gas guzzler.

We are HOW we eat and how we eat includes lots of variables, WHAT we eat, HOW MUCH we eat, WHEN we eat, WHAT COMBINATIONS of food we eat, how OFTEN we eat, how much WATER we drink, HEREDITY, and on and on.  If you can get HOW you eat correct, then that is good for you!  If the human race could be a lot healthier by eating correctly we would save Trillions of dollars of medical expenses.  Then we can spend that money on better things.

Edited by Airbrush

13 hours ago, Bucky Barnes said:

can you give me advice on losing weight please, i am 300 pounds and wanting to lose 80 pounds. how long would such process take. 

As StringJunky said it would be best to see and expert. It would be smart to have your current health evaluated and your progress monitored. So with that stated take all other advice you receive, mine included, with a grain of salt. 

First thing I would do if I were you is to log all meals. Use the labels on the food to figure out their nutritional content. Not just calories and fat but also look at how much sodium, sugar, calories from fat, and vitamins are in the food. I recommend against merely googling food as sodium, fat, fiber, and etc levels vary considerable by brand even for the same item of food. Use the labels. After a week add everything up and calculate what your average day looks like then compare it against recommended dietary needs. Then try to reduce or increase the nutrition levels for the categories you are over or under in via better brand selection and adjustment of quality. Continue to keep a log so that you continue to know what and how much you are eating. 

Don't plan on losing more than a couple of pounds per week. Don't drink calories. Don't have poor food choices in your house such as chips, candy, ice cream, soda. Don't stop your diet even if you do something like eat things that are not part of your diet.

Some helpful tricks include not eating anything before noon.  Anytime you are ready to eat wait for a short time first. Eat every thing off a small plate. Never eat out of the container the food came in; make sure you put it in a bowl or on a plate. 

Eat only fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, low fat dairy, small amounts of nuts.

Exercise is important, but eating less is more important.

Join a group such as Weight Watchers.

Be patient. You'll be successful! People lose weight all the time. Good luck!!

4 hours ago, Bucky Barnes said:

guys i wonder if i should do running when i lose weight instead of now since i am obese person maybe it will do damage to my joints if i run as obese person, should I stick to walking?

Yes. I would stick with low impact activities, like swimming, walking briskly and cycling. There is a cost in running in terms of skeletal shock on hard surfaces. It might be worthwhile for competitive runners who enjoy it. Do them at a rate that raises your breathing and heart rate that you can handle. As time goes on, you'll be able to do them further and faster; build it up methodically. If you take on walking or cycling, make it a mission. For example, I wanted to get fitter and I made myself cycle 15 miles to the next town to get my money when I needed it. It could be walking a mile or two to get a cup of coffee. Stuff like that. Losing weight is mostly about changing your attitude to how you get about. If you have a car, ask yourself "Could I walk or bike there instead?"

Edited by StringJunky

I tend to put on bulk fairly easily, hovering between being pleasantly plump to fat. In the times I have found it necessary to lose a few kilos I undertake a reasonable amount of brisk walking and a steady somewhat reduced diet, with most of the scrumptious fatty foods in moderation....Xmas is always a bad time for me as I love getting into the peanuts while drinking VB. :P

Walking is plenty energetic enough for an overweight or obese person. I wouldn't recommend running. All you need to do, is do something that gets you breathing faster for a significant time. If you find walking too easy, you can speed up. Fast walking takes a lot of energy, and doesn't stress your joints like jogging or running. Even walking on the spot, indoors, or shadow boxing, or bends, dips, semi squats etc can all get your breathing speeded up. Try to do at least an hour a day of exercises that make you breathe faster, and build up to a bit more.

One of the most important things about losing weight is maintaining motivation. It's easy to start, but keeping going takes willpower. 

What I do to keep motivation high is to weigh myself every day, enter it in an excel file. The number that I concentrate on is the seven day average, which I keep in a second column. Your weight will fluctuate day to day, but the average of the last seven days gives you a true picture, and I'm usually trying to keep that steady, or gradually reduce it, if I need to.

It only takes seconds to weigh yourself in the morning, and enter the number in a file, but it's really satisfying to see that 7 day number gradually drop. (and it's a real incentive to try harder, if it starts to rise)

There are devices (like watches) which measure how long distance you walked or run every day.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/walking-meter/6opwejsn8xgu5pq

They can store that data in database and show on timeline graph, day by day, hour by hour.

(There are also available apps on Google Play Store and Apple Store, which will turn your smartphone to walking/distance meter. But enabled all the time GPS is exhausting battery very quickly)

They would help you to measure your progress and encourage for training. Every day extend distance by some more.

Edited by Sensei

I just want to underline some of what has already been said:

What you do for exercise is important, but what you eat and in what quantities is more important. A common mistake is to go "on a diet", meaning you see it as something temporary. In order to get rid of excess weight and keeping a healthy weight later on is to implement a nutritional plan that works for you long term. If you see it as something temporary you might get rid of some of those extra kilos, but as soon as you start eating "as usual" again you are going to regain them and possibly more. You need to find healthy foods that you like in order to be able to stick to the long term plan. Also, do not change everything at once, that is just a start for failure. Start little by little to phase out unhealthy stuff that you eat for healthier alternatives and do not overeat. Do not eat between meals. Good food will keep you sustained and let you go longer without feeling hungry between meals. In the end, losing or gaining weight is just about caloric deficit/surplus and what you eat is key to helping you with that.

Also, if you are being really serious about wanting to live healthier, you should probably see a professional who can help you find a meal plan and exercise routine that will work for you long term. It is an investment that will not only help you feel better and live longer, but also save you future medical expenses as well.

12 hours ago, Bucky Barnes said:

guys i wonder if i should do running when i lose weight instead of now since i am obese person maybe it will do damage to my joints if i run as obese person, should I stick to walking?

What is the reason for you extra weight? There could be legitimate medical issues causing or caused as a result your weight. I strong recommend seeing a Doctor prior to following any if the advice in here. 

Weightloss is driven by diet. Exercise doesn't always result in weightloss. Strongmen competitors exercise a lot and are still extremely heavy. You need to take a very long and in-depth look at your diet. 

*I am using the formal definition of the word diet (the food you eat) and not the informal version which commonly refers to a prescribed manner of eating. 

People regulate their exercise and food intake every day without talking to a doctor. Thousands of diet books are a mouse click away without the need to first see a doctor. There is little risk involved in eating a better diet and walking more.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

People regulate their exercise and food intake every day without talking to a doctor. Thousands of diet books are a mouse click away without the need to first see a doctor. There is little risk involved in eating a better diet and walking more.

In the OP Bucky states that they are 300lbs and would like to lose 80lbs. No height was provided so it is unclear how far above their recommended body mass index they are. Additionally no age was given or for how long they have been at 300lbs. They refer to themselves as obese and could have any number of health issues associated with being obese like diabetes, high blood pressure, or a thyroid issue. I don't think any of us know if Bucky is healthy enough for specific exercises or diets. 

2 hours ago, Ten oz said:

In the OP Bucky states that they are 300lbs and would like to lose 80lbs. No height was provided so it is unclear how far above their recommended body mass index they are. Additionally no age was given or for how long they have been at 300lbs. They refer to themselves as obese and could have any number of health issues associated with being obese like diabetes, high blood pressure, or a thyroid issue. I don't think any of us know if Bucky is healthy enough for specific exercises or diets. 

He could have a peanut allergy too, and yet I went ahead and suggested eating small amounts of nuts. Just the other day someone asked me for directions, and for all I knew they could have been looking for a rival in order to kill them. I've seen people insult others here without knowing if that person was 'this close' to suicide.

This wasn't a question about how to treat his high blood pressure or whether or not to have liposuction. These were questions that would have resulted in direct answers from any search engine.

Our conversations on this site are going to be terribly limited if we can't assume some basic level of intelligence by those we speak too, and accept some minimal amount of risk that comes with day-to-day interactions with people.

If you don't feel comfortable giving advice to others then you shouldn't, but I have no qualms about suggesting fruits, vegetables, walking, and a fitbit to someone who wants to lose weight. 

47 minutes ago, HB of CJ said:

It would be best if you talk to your personal MD.

Absolutely. No doubt about it. That would also be true if he had a cough or cold and was considering taking some Robitussin, as there could be some underlying issue. But there are some things we feel comfortable doing without the oversight of a physician. If you wanted to lose weight, would you trust yourself enough to know if you should go to the doctor first before starting a diet, or if you could just do some research on your own on how to approach it?

Ok i went to my family doctor as well as a mental health institute and they said I need to cut down on salt and sugars, i don't know why, and walk everyday for at least 30 minutes. 

I am 22 years old 5'7 and 300 pounds currently. Thanks for all the advice guys really appreciate it.

Oh yeah and from mental health place i was given medication to control my hunger appetite

Edited by Bucky Barnes

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

He could have a peanut allergy too, and yet I went ahead and suggested eating small amounts of nuts. Just the other day someone asked me for directions, and for all I knew they could have been looking for a rival in order to kill them. I've seen people insult others here without knowing if that person was 'this close' to suicide.

This wasn't a question about how to treat his high blood pressure or whether or not to have liposuction. These were questions that would have resulted in direct answers from any search engine.

Our conversations on this site are going to be terribly limited if we can't assume some basic level of intelligence by those we speak too, and accept some minimal amount of risk that comes with day-to-day interactions with people.

If you don't feel comfortable giving advice to others then you shouldn't, but I have no qualms about suggesting fruits, vegetables, walking, and a fitbit to someone who wants to lose weight. 

Peanut allergy isn't an issue associated with obesity while high blood is. Asking for directions isn't associated with murder while obesity is associated with cardiovascular disease. At 5'7 a normal healthy weight is generally around 150-160 pounds, Here. At 300 pounds Bucky is double the standard weight generally considered healthy for his size. There are serious health issues which can be associated with that. I think seeing a doctor enaure they are healthy enough to train, diet, and etc is good advice. One doesn't get to double a healthy BMI overnight without a prolonged period of unhealthy habits. 

Edited by Ten oz

43 minutes ago, Bucky Barnes said:

Ok i went to my family doctor as well as a mental health institute and they said I need to cut down on salt and sugars, i don't know why, and walk everyday for at least 30 minutes. 

I am 22 years old 5'7 and 300 pounds currently. Thanks for all the advice guys really appreciate it.

Oh yeah and from mental health place i was given medication to control my hunger appetite

Excess salt makes you prone to high blood pressure and sugar is what piles on the belly (visceral) fat. 

38 minutes ago, Bucky Barnes said:

I recommend keeping a log so you can track the amount of sodium and sugar you eat everyday. How much Sodium one needs everyday varies by activity level. Normally 1500-2300 miligrams a day is considered standard. Different brands of food can have different amounts of sodium even for similar products so make sure you read the labels. Same is true for sugar it will vary by brand. 80 grams of day is typical but activity levels matter. Since you were told to watch sodium you should also pay attention to your potassium intake too as a proper balance between the is important.