Hurricanes

Theredbarron

Why dont we use science to stop Hurricanes? We make bombs to kill people why cant be make them to save them? If a designer bomb was place in the correct spot at the right time of a hurricanes development, could it be possible to destabilize the pressure balance thats going on in there? The eye is 20 to 40 miles wide when a hurricane is in effect. If an explosion were placed in this low pressure area before it develops how could it continue to develop if the whole reason why its there is now gone. Picture a whirlpool of air. Whirlpools can be caused by how the water swirls around an object. No hurricanes move towards the equator. Instead it appears as if its swirling around the air thats being drug into the equator much faster moving air. I found this site showing the average wind speeds and ocean currents.

http://www.seos-project.eu/modules/oceancurrents/oceancurrents-c02-p02.html

It says the winds is faster towards the north or south poles depending on the season. The only thing I see that is misunderstood is the that the wind speed it the differential from land speed to air. The equators land speed is moving faster then the land that is closer to the equator. This is due to a smaller radius from the earths rotating axis. So if its 5 m/s at the equator it would be 5 plus the rotational speed of the land. This would make it around 453 m/s. If where I'm standing on earth is half the radius then the land speed is half. The arrows in the pictures are the direction of current that the water is typically moving. Its the opposite direction of rotation. This is where the drag against the air is why hurricanes dont move to the equator. They ride the currents away from it. This is an image from NOAA's hurricane site. I'm sure you can see where about the equator is. The air speed is much faster around the equator then towards the poles in comparison to point in space or existence that is not moving. So what I purpose is that if you rapidly disable the lower pressure area when the rotation of the sources that start a hurricane it then will disrupt the creation of one possibly. Of course it would need very specific calculations on what the air is wanting to do around it in order to keep from forming after. This is why is say the explosion should be designer. 

image.thumb.png.b68ec9798f6aa7332a6c3cd8a30492cc.png

Edited by Theredbarron

If we start by looking at just the energy generated by the winds, we find that for a typical mature hurricane, we get numbers in the range of 1.5 x 10^12 Watts or 1.3 x 10^17 Joules/day (this is according to the Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory.)

This is equivalent to about half of the total electrical generating capacity on the planet! For a single hurricane!

But that's not all, we're just getting started. A hurricane also releases energy through the formation of clouds and rain (it takes energy to evaporate all that water). If we crunch the numbers for an average hurricane (1.5 cm/day of rain, circle radius of 665 km), we get a gigantic amount of energy: 6.0 x 10^14 Watts or 5.2 x 10^19 Joules/day!

This is equivalent to about 200 times the total electrical generating capacity on the planet! NASA says that "during its life cycle a hurricane can expend as much energy as 10,000 nuclear bombs!" And we're just talking about average hurricanes here, not Katrina.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/energy-hurricane-volcano-earthquake1.htm

One megaton blast is equivalent to 4.18 x 1015 joules.

Edited by StringJunky

I'm calling bull crap perspective on that. That is total accumulated energy not 10,000 nukes going off. I'm purposing a way to prevent it from accumulating that energy. Set those nukes off and see if its even close to the same thing. Energy at an instance is not the same as accumulated energy over time. It cant accumulate if you destabilized it from doing so. Stopping the rotation will keep it from dragging more air into it giving it its energy. Even if it ended up rotating later anyways it would have less time to develop because of this. Its worth shooting bombs at because of the damage that they cause cost more. Pretty typical human response to something that messes crap up. 

the total accumulated energy of a semi driving across the country can still be stopped by a simple set of brakes. 

27 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Set those nukes off and see if its even close to the same thing.

Its worth shooting bombs at because of the damage that they cause cost more

I'm no expert in this, but if you detonate a nuke where a hurricane forms, where will the nuclear fallout be carried by the wind? Or what kind of bombs are proposed? 

Even if it ended up rotating later anyways it would have less time to develop because of this.

Always? There is no chance it makes the hurricane change its direction and hit a more sensitive region? Or make the hurricane move over more open water, hit land later and do more damage?

In addition to @StringJunkys comment; what is accumulated energy of a weather system in the process of forming a hurricane? How large is the area you have to affect by the bomb if you do it early? 

Edited by Ghideon
spelling/grammar

I am not a meteorologist. From my limited understanding of how storms form there are not singular trigger effects which take place. Rather when conditions are right (water temp, humidity, barometric pressure,  etc) storms can form during those conditions. Detonating a bomb wouldn't change those conditions especially across as large an area as storms travel.  

2 hours ago, Ghideon said:

I'm no expert in this, but if you detonate a nuke where a hurricane forms, where will the nuclear fallout be carried by the wind? Or what kind of bombs are proposed? 

Definitely not a nuke. I was thinking more designed for it. So pretty much I doubt any bomb has been made to help.

2 hours ago, Ten oz said:

I am not a meteorologist. From my limited understanding of how storms form there are not singular trigger effects which take place. Rather when conditions are right (water temp, humidity, barometric pressure,  etc) storms can form during those conditions. Detonating a bomb wouldn't change those conditions especially across as large an area as storms travel.  

Disrupting the conditions before they can develop into the conditions needed then it will slow it from happening. Detonating a bomb in the area that is low pressure which is in the middle at the correct altitude will effect pressure in the clouds and the conditions that form. Think of a whirlpool. If you fill the middle with water it stops spinning. That is where the pressure gets balance from the inside so a much smaller area then what your thinking. Bombs can be made to do very specific things. The further the storm travels without developing into the category the smaller the storm will most likely be. Lots of stuff happens before a hurricane is called one. 

image.thumb.png.f845da2db2823e7a982d12d2eb73a92e.png

The blue line is the air speed and the purple is the pressure for this hurricane. It went from a 2 to a 5 in 2 days. The dot in the line that has been highlighted is where it became a 5. The outside edges are close to land or are over land. Before the system gets to land the moist air has increased its density giving it momentum. The way it increases its density is by warm moist air mixing with cool air condensing the moister giving it more density. As the body of air condenses it attract air into it. Wind speed increases and pressure decrease. At the beginning its very weak without the cool air being supplied. A strategically place explosion during the build just before or as it begins rotation can make it weak and maybe stall it out. Think about the escape velocity of the air following the rotation. If the rotation slows then the escape velocity is lowered. With the air now trying reaching escape velocity the storm now has to pull what trying to leave but it only has the energy thats being supplied. This will reduce what it collects. The storm is not perpetual. It can stall with the right influence. 

This doesn't mean that it wont be a storm.

Dont hurricanes rotate the opposite direction between hemispheres because the air is moving much faster around the equator? The cool air gets drawn in from the north from this faster moving air which is usually more during spring or fall because the axis is tilting. The land around the equator  becomes closer to the cooler air from the north. The air doesn't shift as fast as the earth so it causes a mixing of warm and cool air. During summer or winter the sun covers is tracks twice. As it tilts into the season and then back out. This allows time for the air to balance around the world because the sun sits on the hemisphere for longer. During spring or fall the sun only sweeps by then returns after the next season. Its not covering the same area twice during fall or spring by themselves. Hurricanes seam to happen more during the fall for the northern hemisphere. The water temperature effects this. The water is warmer during the fall so it puts more moisture in the air. The cool air is now trying to follows the planets tilt from the attraction caused by the faster moving air that is following the faster moving surface at the equator. So warm moist air colliding with cool air causes the start of storms. I'm pretty sure the salt balance of the ocean effects the temperature of the water. So if the salt content of the ocean is lower, which it is, this will increase evaporation. The heat holding properties are lowered from less salt. Kind of the whole reason why the core is heating up.  

Should I explain drafting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drafting_(aerodynamics)

54 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Dont hurricanes rotate the opposite direction between hemispheres because the air is moving much faster around the equator? The cool air gets drawn in from the north from this faster moving air which is usually more during spring or fall because the axis is tilting. The land around the equator  becomes closer to the cooler air from the north. The air doesn't shift as fast as the earth so it causes a mixing of warm and cool air. During summer or winter the sun covers is tracks twice. As it tilts into the season and then back out. This allows time for the air to balance around the world because the sun sits on the hemisphere for longer. During spring or fall the sun only sweeps by then returns after the next season. Its not covering the same area twice during fall or spring by themselves. Hurricanes seam to happen more during the fall for the northern hemisphere. The water temperature effects this. The water is warmer during the fall so it puts more moisture in the air. The cool air is now trying to follows the planets tilt from the attraction caused by the faster moving air that is following the faster moving surface at the equator. So warm moist air colliding with cool air causes the start of storms. I'm pretty sure the salt balance of the ocean effects the temperature of the water. So if the salt content of the ocean is lower, which it is, this will increase evaporation. The heat holding properties are lowered from less salt. Kind of the whole reason why the core is heating up.  

Should I explain drafting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drafting_(aerodynamics)

"Around and 5 degrees either side of the equator we have an area called the doldrums, where little or no wind is evident. https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/doldrums.html 

Known to sailors around the world as the doldrums, the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone, (ITCZ, pronounced and sometimes referred to as the “itch”), is a belt around the Earth extending approximately five degrees north and south of the equator. Here, the prevailing trade winds of the northern hemisphere blow to the southwest and collide with the southern hemisphere’s driving northeast trade winds.

Due to intense solar heating near the equator, the warm, moist air is forced up into the atmosphere like a hot air balloon. As the air rises, it cools, causing persistent bands of showers and storms around the Earth’s midsection. The rising air mass finally subsides in what is known as the horse latitudes, where the air moves downward toward Earth’s surface.

Because the air circulates in an upward direction, there is often little surface wind in the ITCZ. That is why sailors well know that the area can becalm sailing ships for weeks. And that’s why they call it the doldrums". [from the link]

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then of course we have the Coriolis Effect.......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force  In physics, the Coriolis force is an inertial force[1] that seems to act on objects that are in motion within a frame of reference that rotates with respect to an inertial frame. In a reference frame with clockwise rotation, the force acts to the left of the motion of the object. In one with anticlockwise (or counterclockwise) rotation, the force acts to the right. Deflectionof an object due to the Coriolis force is called the Coriolis effect. Though recognized previously by others, the mathematical expression for the Coriolis force appeared in an 1835 paper by French scientist Gaspard-Gustave de Coriolis, in connection with the theory of water wheels. Early in the 20th century, the term Coriolis forcebegan to be used in connection with meteorology.  

Corioliskraftanimation.gif

In the inertial frame of reference (upper part of the picture), the black ball moves in a straight line. However, the observer (brown dot) who is standing in the rotating/non-inertial frame of reference (lower part of the picture) sees the object as following a curved path due to the Coriolis and centrifugal forces present in this frame.
Edited by beecee

2 hours ago, Theredbarron said:

Detonating a bomb in the area that is low pressure which is in the middle at the correct altitude will effect pressure in the clouds and the conditions that form.

To rise the air pressure, a huge amount of air has to be moved into the low pressure region of the weather system about to form a hurricane. A bomb is a blast of high pressure, I don't think that affects the barometric pressure. And even if pressure change succeeds there is still conditions that will allow tropical storms and other hurricanes to form, as already stated:

4 hours ago, Ten oz said:

Detonating a bomb wouldn't change those conditions especially across as large an area as storms travel.

The idea about bombing hurricanes seems to be quite common; Hurricane research division has a FAQ entry and calculations using nukes: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html

Even if nukes re not the focus in the proposed idea the energy levels, barometric pressure and amount of air needed makes the use of bombs seem very unrealistic to say the least.

Historical side note, here is a scan from 1959: THE USE OF NUCLEAR EXPLOSIVES IN METEOROLOGY, L. Machta, U. S. Weather Bureau with the introduction on page 54:

It is inevitable that man should speculate on the possibilities of weather modification when he achieves energy releases through nuclear explosives

reference  https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015077324005

I have some trouble following the new things added to the topic.

1 hour ago, Theredbarron said:

So if the salt content of the ocean is lower, which it is, this will increase evaporation.

Salt content is lower than what?

1 hour ago, Theredbarron said:

Kind of the whole reason why the core is heating up.

What core?

Edited by Ghideon
spelling

44 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

To rise the air pressure, a huge amount of air has to be moved into the low pressure region of the weather system about to form a hurricane. A bomb is a blast of high pressure, I don't think that affects the barometric pressure. And even if pressure change succeeds there is still conditions that will allow tropical storms and other hurricanes to form, as already stated:

I dont want to try to change the pressure of the atmosphere. I want to disrupt the differential in the atmosphere. If you get it while its too small and not close to land then you can either slow it or stall it. If you slow it down it could eventually run out of fuel so to speak. Even if the conditions are still there its not a hurricane. Whats worse? The pressure from the bomb will knock what is rotating out of balance so it can collapse or not stay traveling in its path. Newtons 1st law. The system then has to rebuild. Still not a hurricane. I should probably say before a tropical storm is developed maybe not so much hurricane. This is to prevent hurricanes which come from tropical storms. 

44 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

I have some trouble following the new things added to the topic.

Salt content is lower than what?

What core?

Just an example the Gulf of Mexico is being fed with fresh water from rivers. All this fresh water effects the salt content of the ocean. The lower salt point allows for the water on the surface to evaporate easier. The core is a little off subject but it is also affected by salt. 

I'm talking even maybe way out in left field type bombs like using salt to dramatically change the variable's.

23 hours ago, Theredbarron said:

I dont want to try to change the pressure of the atmosphere. 

Fine, but you stated that you wanted to change the pressure:

On 2018-10-17 at 8:13 PM, Theredbarron said:

Detonating a bomb in the area that is low pressure which is in the middle at the correct altitude will effect pressure in the clouds and the conditions that form. Think of a whirlpool. If you fill the middle with water it stops spinning. That is where the pressure gets balance from the inside so a much smaller area then what your thinking.

Did you read the link I provided? Here are some approximate calculations. I'm not saying this is a method that works as means of limiting the size of hurricanes, the calculation is only provided as a comparison to show the scale of things. 

Category 5 hurricane: approximately 920 milibar**, equals 9,38 ton/square meter.*
Category 2 hurricane: approximately 979 milibar**, equals9,98 ton/square meter.*

Difference 0,6 ton/square meter. That is, for each square meter 600kg of air has to be moved to that area to equalise the pressure.

Now approximate the low pressure area of a hurricane by using the size of the eye***. An average diameter of 48km gives an area of 1770 km2. That means that about 1 billion tons of air is required to “fill the whirpool” to change the pressure of a Category 5 hurricane to the pressure of a Category 2 hurricane.

Even if you do not wait for a category 5 hurricane to form the amount of air you have to move seems quite large. You also have to know where to move it. I don't see how the idea is supposed to work practically. Can you provide some supporting calculations for your idea?

References:

*) https://www.convertunits.com/from/millibar/to/ton/square+metre
**) https://www.thoughtco.com/hurricane-categories-overview-1435140
***) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pressure_area

Edited by Ghideon
spelling

19 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Fine, but you stated that you wanted to change the pressure:

Did you read the link I provided? Here are some approximate calculations. I'm not saying this is a method that works as means of limiting the size of hurricanes, the calculation is only provided as a comparison to show the scale of things. 

Category 5 hurricane: approximately 920 milibar**, equals 9,38 ton/square meter.*
Category 2 hurricane: approximately 979 milibar**, equals9,98 ton/square meter.*

Difference 0,6 ton/square meter. That is, for each square meter 600kg of air has to be moved to that area to equalise the pressure.

Now approximate the low pressure area of a hurricane by using the size of the eye***. An average diameter of 48km gives an area of 1770 km2. That means that about 1 billion tons of air is required to “fill the whirpool” to change the pressure of a Category 5 hurricane to the pressure of a Category 2 hurricane.

Even if you do not wait for a category 5 hurricane to form the amount of air you have to move seems quite large. You also have to know where to move it. I don't see how the idea is supposed to work practically. Can you provide some supporting calculations for your idea?

References:

*) https://www.convertunits.com/from/millibar/to/ton/square+metre
**) https://www.thoughtco.com/hurricane-categories-overview-1435140
***) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pressure_area

I get what your saying on the scale of things. Ok so to change the total pressure of the air is pretty much not happening. What happens when you rapidly change the pressure at one point of the rotating mass? Will it decrease the speed of it? If so then a second explosion right after could slow it more. Not only the pressure but the direction as well. Plus if you add salt to the mix the density of the moisture increases causing it to drop which could decrease the pressure right after the shift from the explosion directly outside the eye cause an imbalance of motion. What I figure is that if you could increase pressure of just a portion of the rotating area next to the eye it a chain reaction could occur if placed correctly. The salt being added would allow for the moisture thats in the pressurized area to depressurize from condensation. The more the moisture weighs the harder it its to get going in the same path. This is all not done at the size of a hurricane. Its more like just before it begins its rotation. I dont know what stage the rotation starts but its much smaller then those number. The hurricane would be the object to prevent. The actions would have to be taken as preemptive. I by no means think that it could stop a 5 or even a 1. Given that we have lots of records of patterns of when and how hurricanes form there could be a point where a strike would be worth attempting just to change the pace of the conditions. It would allow time to slow its build to a hurricane. The  total air direction of travel wont change nor would the conditions. What could change is how much time it has to build before it gets to land. A hurricane as to build up to being one. If you slow the early stages of cloud rotation it cant build. The rotation of the air drags more outside air into it. This is how hurricane builds. Slowing the rotation could keep it from crossing that threshold of being a hurricane because it spent too much time being slow and never pulled in enough by the time it gets close to land. If a hurricane is close enough to land it pulls the cold air in then condenses moisture and so on. So look at tornados. I know they are not the same but the clouds do the same thing for the same reasons. Pressure differentials. The clouds can rotate before its considered a tornado. The difference is that it happens a lot faster with a tornado. A hurricane relies on time to build. I get the general consensus says it wont work. Has anyone tried?

21 hours ago, Theredbarron said:

The actions would have to be taken as preemptive. I by no means think that it could stop a 5 or even a 1. Given that we have lots of records of patterns of when and how hurricanes form there could be a point where a strike would be worth attempting just to change the pace of the conditions. It would allow time to slow its build to a hurricane.

I see practical challenges with a preemptive method. An analogy that may illustrate my point: Have you seen TV shows such as Storm Chasers? I'm not suggesting that the show has a specific scientific value but the very few episodes I've seen suggest it is not easy to know where a tornado is about to form. To a non-expert it seems like the hunters most of the time has to choose one of several possible areas and the outcome often seems quite random. What model do you have in mind that allow the preemptive method to find the correct spot and deliver explosive charges before it is too late? 

22 hours ago, Theredbarron said:

if you add salt to the mix...
Has anyone tried?

Some experiment* has ben done using other chemicals, not salt. The page may not be reliable and I have not checked all references. For instance NOAA** seems to disagree that any positive results at all were displayed. And again the scale of things is a problem. The experiment talks about one airplane while basic calculations** shows that hundreds of planes may be required.

References

*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_modification#Storm_prevention

**) http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5d.html 

Again, as the idea is posted in speculations: 

22 hours ago, Ghideon said:

Can you provide some supporting calculations for your idea? 

22 hours ago, Theredbarron said:

I get what your saying on the scale of things. Ok so to change the total pressure of the air is pretty much not happening. What happens when you rapidly change the pressure at one point of the rotating mass? Will it decrease the speed of it? If so then a second explosion right after could slow it more. Not only the pressure but the direction as well. Plus if you add salt to the mix the density of the moisture increases causing it to drop which could decrease the pressure right after the shift from the explosion directly outside the eye cause an imbalance of motion. What I figure is that if you could increase pressure of just a portion of the rotating area next to the eye it a chain reaction could occur if placed correctly. The salt being added would allow for the moisture thats in the pressurized area to depressurize from condensation. The more the moisture weighs the harder it its to get going in the same path. This is all not done at the size of a hurricane. Its more like just before it begins its rotation. I dont know what stage the rotation starts but its much smaller then those number. The hurricane would be the object to prevent. The actions would have to be taken as preemptive. I by no means think that it could stop a 5 or even a 1. Given that we have lots of records of patterns of when and how hurricanes form there could be a point where a strike would be worth attempting just to change the pace of the conditions. It would allow time to slow its build to a hurricane. The  total air direction of travel wont change nor would the conditions. What could change is how much time it has to build before it gets to land. A hurricane as to build up to being one. If you slow the early stages of cloud rotation it cant build. The rotation of the air drags more outside air into it. This is how hurricane builds. Slowing the rotation could keep it from crossing that threshold of being a hurricane because it spent too much time being slow and never pulled in enough by the time it gets close to land. If a hurricane is close enough to land it pulls the cold air in then condenses moisture and so on. So look at tornados. I know they are not the same but the clouds do the same thing for the same reasons. Pressure differentials. The clouds can rotate before its considered a tornado. The difference is that it happens a lot faster with a tornado. A hurricane relies on time to build. I get the general consensus says it wont work. Has anyone tried?

I can't see anyway that the detonation of a bomb at the start of a hurricane  would do other than make it more powerful. A detonation would result in rapidly rising air, a hurricane forms from rapidly rising air. The Earth's rotation gives it spin, if you could somehow remove energy you might make a difference but as far as i know there is no way to do this on a large scale. Salt is already sucked up by hurricanes, salty water anyway, I don't see how physics would allow you to stop a hurricane with a bomb. Maybe drop liquid nitrogen into the forming center but dropping dry ice has been done and it actually made it worse. 

Edited by Moontanman

41 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I can't see anyway that the detonation of a bomb at the start of a hurricane  would do other than make it more powerful. A detonation would result in rapidly rising air, a hurricane forms from rapidly rising air. The Earth's rotation gives it spin, if you could somehow remove energy you might make a difference but as far as i know there is no way to do this on a large scale. Salt is already sucked up by hurricanes, salty water anyway, I don't see how physics would allow you to stop a hurricane with a bomb. Maybe drop liquid nitrogen into the forming center but dropping dry ice has been done and it actually made it worse. 

Hurricanes use much more then rapidly rising air. Its a combination of things that have to be a certain way in order for it to begin rotation. Increasing the salt content of the moisture condenses it now becoming water and not moist warm air dropping from the sky on one side of its beginning throwing the whole start off and delaying it enough for hopefully it cant gain fast enough to become a monster instead its a smaller storm not that its small. It most likely cant work with what you guys understand. There is a few things missing from all of physics. Those things will answer the questions. Has any one tried it? I would love to see this. Even if it doesn't work. 

Then why are you asking us questions about this?

6 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

There is a few things missing from all of physics. Those things will answer the questions. Has any one tried it?

So the question is if anyone has tried anything missing from all physics that will answer the questions.

How should I know since you claim that:

6 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

It most likely cant work with what you guys understand.

If you mean has anyone tried storm or hurricane prevention using chemicals? Yes, see my answer above.

Edited by Ghideon
grammar

29 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Hurricanes use much more then rapidly rising air. Its a combination of things that have to be a certain way in order for it to begin rotation. Increasing the salt content of the moisture condenses it now becoming water and not moist warm air dropping from the sky on one side of its beginning throwing the whole start off and delaying it enough for hopefully it cant gain fast enough to become a monster instead its a smaller storm not that its small. It most likely cant work with what you guys understand. There is a few things missing from all of physics. Those things will answer the questions. Has any one tried it? I would love to see this. Even if it doesn't work. 

Well you have shown us you know nothing about weather in general or hurricanes specifically... 

24 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Then why are you asking us questions about this?

So the question is if anyone has tried anything missing from all physics that will answer the questions.

How should I know since you claim that:

If you mean has anyone tried storm or hurricane prevention using chemicals? Yes, see my answer above.

I actually missed those. Was any bomb used to disperse chemicals to cover a larger area? They tried laser but salt doesn't make sense?

44 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

I actually missed those.

Ok! No problem!

Was any bomb used to disperse chemicals to cover a larger area?

Why use a bomb? If you drop salt from an airplane into a storm about to turn into a hurricane the salt will spread quite fast anyway?

They tried laser but salt doesn't make sense?

I did not find any references to actual tests using lasers. It was one of the proposed ideas. If salt makes sense in theory or have any effect at all on weather I do not know, I have not researched that. You suggested that

On 2018-10-18 at 11:08 PM, Theredbarron said:

if you add salt to the mix the density of the moisture increases

So you have to show why salt makes sense. The sources referenced at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_modification#Storm_prevention did not mention salt, my best guess* is that the test required a chemical that absorbs more water than salt.

*) The sources hints that commercial interests were involved in the tests which of course could have impact on chemicals use. Note also that the results did not display conclusive evidence. 

Edited by Ghideon
grammar

5 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Ok! No problem!

Why use a bomb? If you drop salt from an airplane into a storm about to turn into a hurricane the salt will spread quite fast anyway?

I did not find any references to actual tests using lasers. It was one of the proposed ideas. If salt makes sense in theory or have any effect at all on weather I do not know, I have not researched that. You suggested that

So you have to show why salt makes sense. The sources referenced at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_modification#Storm_prevention did not mention salt, my best guess* is that the test required a chemical that absorbs more water than salt.

*) The sources hints that commercial interests were involved in the tests which of course could have impact on chemicals use. Note also that the results did not display conclusive evidence. 

Wasn't silver iodide the main substance actually used? 

Just now, Ghideon said:

Ok! No problem!

*) The sources hints that commercial interests were involved in the tests which of course could have impact on chemicals use. Note also that the results were not conclusive. 

I'm not sure if they actually used a laser it just mentioned it and thats what I thought. The reason for a bomb is to cover a larger area with whatever it is used. I mention salt because it dramatically effects waters boiling point and evaporation as to keep the water in the water or put it back so that the mixing of cold air and warm moist has less moisture. Less moisture less power the hurrican can develop. Its just one leg of what a hurricane needs. A pretty important piece I might add. Even with the chemicals they are still trying to change salt point in the water that could potentially evaporate. 

2 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

I'm not sure if they actually used a laser it just mentioned it and thats what I thought. The reason for a bomb is to cover a larger area with whatever it is used. I mention salt because it dramatically effects waters boiling point and evaporation as to keep the water in the water or put it back so that the mixing of cold air and warm moist has less moisture. Less moisture less power the hurrican can develop. Its just one leg of what a hurricane needs. A pretty important piece I might add. Even with the chemicals they are still trying to change salt point in the water that could potentially evaporate. 

You do realize that hurricanes form over the ocean which is rather highly saline already... right? 

7 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Wasn't silver iodide the main substance actually used? 

Good question, silver iodide is for affecting rain clouds (cloud seeding).

I checked again and the substance in the test was a polyacrylic acid derivative.

Edited by Ghideon
spelling