Conspiracy theories. List those you think are true.

mistermack

The phrase "conspiracy theory" is widely used as mockery. But of course, lots of conspiracies DO happen, and then they become history. Like the Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba was going to be portrayed as a glorious liberation, and the multiple attempts by the CIA to kill Castro would have been a 'popular uprising'.  Or the famous weapons of mass destruction. Then there's the Watergate episode. 

If they had succeeded, anybody making an allegation would have been labelled a "conspiracy theorist" and mocked. But they were all true, and they happened. 

So if you think that you know of a TRUE one, list it here, and give your reasoning.

Of course, if one gives rise to a debate, there's nothing stopping it being split off for in depth discussion.

Just to start the list off, I'm nominating the Kennedy Assassination. I believe that the fatal shot was fired by  a secret service agent, ACCIDENTALLY, when he pulled out his machine gun, hearing the shots from Lee Harvey Oswald's gun. The Secret Service then conspired to cover it up, and the Warren Commission went along with it for the sake of the national reputation.

That might sound like another crazy conspiracy theory, but I think the evidence is overwhelming, and it all comes from impeccable eye witnesses. It's covered here on youtube and it's well worth watching, if you haven't seen it :    

57 minutes ago, mistermack said:

That might sound like another crazy conspiracy theory, but I think the evidence is overwhelming, and it all comes from impeccable eye witnesses.

Search net for "eyewitness (in)accuracy experiments"..

I have absolutely no evidence for this, which is proof (see below, or not) that this is an extremely successful conspiracy by science deniers.

It can't be a coincidence that as science has increased in importance the definition of 'proof' has changed for the worse over the years.

There have been a lot of interminable threads on SF lately about the concept of proof. The success of the conspiracy is such that the old/obscure definitions have rarely been mentioned.

From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proof

archaic : the quality or state of having been tested or tried

or

a test applied to articles or substances [presumably theories too] to determine whether they are of standard or satisfactory quality

So the apparent discovery of superluminal neutrinos proved relativity in the archaic sense - no big deal even for relativity deniers.

From some earlier thread, someone said gravity hadn't been proved.

I doubt any astronaut would admit to disbelieving in gravitational theory but after a long duration stay on the ISS their actions suggest otherwise. They e.g. release a cup, expecting it just to float and not to fall, or they decide to float downstairs rather than do it the hard way. After a few days, usually without serious injury, their actions show they have decided gravity has been sufficiently proved.

Edited by Carrock
changed never to rarely

27 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Search net for "eyewitness (in)accuracy experiments"..

That's a fair point. I actually meant that their credentials are impeccable, (especially compared to those in a lot of conspiracy cases) not their testimony.