Classical mechanics Doubt

Shahroze

Perhaps if your sketch was a bit neater it would be more obvious.

I can't read the mass of the block resting on the wedge.

However if the wedge is resting on the ground and the block is simply resting on the wedge then the pair of them (wedge and block) must exert a combine thrust on the ground equal to the combined mass time g ie (ma + mb)g.
Unless they then start flying, Newton's third law tells us that the ground must therefore exert a reaction equal to this.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Perhaps if your sketch was a bit neater it would be more obvious.

I can't read the mass of the block resting on the wedge.

However if the wedge is resting on the ground and the block is simply resting on the wedge then the pair of them (wedge and block) must exert a combine thrust on the ground equal to the combined mass time g ie (ma + mb)g.
Unless they then start flying, Newton's third law tells us that the ground must therefore exert a reaction equal to this.

Sorry for the bad handwriting but what if it is accelerating like i have shown in the figure. Shouldn't the normal force by the block must have a component in the downward direction such that the wedge and the block both apply a combined "thrust". Will there be any difference in normal force by ground and if so what will it be?

Is the answer {m[block]cos^2(theta)+m[wedge]}g

1 hour ago, studiot said:

If there is relative motion between the block and the wedge then you must apply Newton's Laws resolved parallel and perpendicular to the interface.

It is not then an equilibrium question.

You tell me that something is moving, so why are you not applying Newton's Laws of motion?

1 minute ago, studiot said:

You tell me that something is moving, so why are you not applying Newton's Laws of motion?

Please check the figure i have posted i  have applied Newton's laws.

1 hour ago, Shahroze said:

IMG_20181005_233013880.thumb.jpg.3ff55b71bc6357f8014c2a81a7cd414e.jpg

Fbd of wedge,