Who do you think was the hardest hitting heavy weight boxer in history?

John Harmonic

I am going to go with Mike Tyson. From watching YouTube videos of his deadly knockouts and the way he trained as well as various articles on Google, I am going to say Tyson is the hardest hitter in boxing history and would probably beat Muhammad Ali. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Also another question instead of starting another thread, do you think Mike Tyson could knock out a gorilla with his bare hands and hardest hit.

I remember in the seventies I think, a computer generated simulation with all information re all heavyweight boxers in history, to arive at the best...the final two were Ali and Rocky Marciano. Then the info on these two again were fed to the computer...the result was Ali well ahead on points up to around round 11 and Marciano knocking him out in the thirteenth. The pair also actually met in the ring, "acting" out the predicted computer results.

My choice is Marciano

Marciano wouldn't even be in the top 30. He never fought anyone of note, and only defended the title six times, against very old fighters, or light heavies. And one of the fights was a fix,  the pundits had him losing. He was slow and crude, he wouldn't have stood a chance against the likes of Ali. Anthony Joshua already has a better record than Marciano.

Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis put Mike Tyson in his place, so he wouldn't be number one. Hardest hitter? Maybe, but that's against lesser fighters. All big punchers look amazing against lesser opponents. It's how they do against the top ones that counts.

I would say that George Foreman in his day would have been the hardest hitter. And he knocked out Joe Frazier and Ken Norton, both inside two rounds, legends, not a bunch of nobodies.

And Evander Holyfield must be the greatest of all for me. He's the only man in history to hold the undisputed cruiserweight title, then move up to heavyweight, and win the undisputed title at that weight as well. And he didn't lose a fight at any weight till he was past 30.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:20 PM, John Harmonic said:

Also another question instead of starting another thread, do you think Mike Tyson could knock out a gorilla with his bare hands and hardest hit.

Not a chance. The human hand breaks when humans hit humans, sometimes even inside boxing gloves. The bones of Gorillas are much bigger and stronger than any human, and their neck is three or four times the size. No contest.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:20 PM, John Harmonic said:

do you think Mike Tyson could knock out a gorilla with his bare hands and hardest hit.

No.

As has been pointed out, people's hands are dextrous, but fragile.

Also, a typical male gorilla weighs about 150 Kg, and Tyson weighs about 110Kg.

I declare a non contest.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:20 AM, John Harmonic said:

I am going to go with Mike Tyson. From watching YouTube videos of his deadly knockouts and the way he trained as well as various articles on Google, I am going to say Tyson is the hardest hitter in boxing history and would probably beat Muhammad Ali. 

Mike Tyson was an excellent counter puncher. Many of his knockout came as he slipped an opponents jab or overhand power 2 shot. Guys were often moving into the shot and unprotected. A punch you don't see coming has a multiplied effect. Unfortunately it is also why, one of the reason anyway, that later in Tyson's career opponents were able to withstand his power. Once Tyson lost his timing and could no longer land the perfectly placed counters he became beatable. For that reason I say Tyson was not the hardest puncher. His power was a result of style and execution rather than brute force alone. 

George Foreman on the other hand remained an elite KO puncher his whole career. Even as a 45yr, ancient by pro athlete standards, Foreman knockout Micheal Moore to recapture the Heavyweight title. Foreman power was such that it didn't require great timing, speed, or reflexes. Even when opponents successfully blocked a Foreman shot with a glove they would often still be shaken by the force of the blow. Plus the level of opponent Foreman knockout was greater. Foreman stopped Hall of Fame opponents like Joe Frazier and Ken Norton. 

2 hours ago, mistermack said:

Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis put Mike Tyson in his place, so he wouldn't be number one. Hardest hitter? Maybe, but that's against lesser fighters. All big punchers look amazing against lesser opponents. It's how they do against the top ones that counts.

In all fairness to Tyson by the time the Holyfield and Lewis fights came along he was well beyond his prime and only fighting for the money. It is well known that wasn't even training seriously anymore when those fights happened. The media workouts Tyson put on were basically the only workouts he had. Prime vs Prime Holyfield still might have edged Tyson out but I think Tyson would have crushed Lewis inside of a couple round. Lewis had a glass chin and was stopped by lesser competition a couple different times. 

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

And Evander Holyfield must be the greatest of all for me. He's the only man in history to hold the undisputed cruiserweight title, then move up to heavyweight, and win the undisputed title at that weight as well. And he didn't lose a fight at any weight till he was past 30.

Holyfield was awesome. Styles make fights though and I don't think prime Holyfield could have beaten prime versions of Ali or Holmes. Their movement and work from behind the jab would have been to much. Plus both men were bigger than Holyfield and would have had distance advantages over him. I agree with you about Foreman and believe prime Foreman would have beaten prime Holyfield too. That isn't taking anything away from Holyfield though. He is the greater fight of the past 30; as you said.