Really a Science Forum?

21 minutes ago, AlexKutler said:

Is it really a science forum?

Well some of us do try.

But I'm glad to see someone has beat me to cancelling out the red mark against DrP.

That is not a good way for a newcomer's (or anyone's for that matter) thread to start.

Edited by studiot

I didn't give you the -1, BeeCee.
But if we gave people a chance and were not so quick to assume the worst, some of those newbies might stick around.
We were all newbies at one time, and I know I asked silly questions.

15 minutes ago, MigL said:

But if we gave people a chance and were not so quick to assume the worst, some of those newbies might stick around

I wish.

Last night a newby joined and then posted a technical question I assume he had a real interest in.

When I posted a technical answer 1 hour later I discovered that his interest lasted just long enough to post, not long enough to stick around and look around and he hasn't been back.

What a waste of both our time.

Edited by studiot

2 hours ago, MigL said:

I didn't give you the -1, BeeCee.
But if we gave people a chance and were not so quick to assume the worst, some of those newbies might stick around.
We were all newbies at one time, and I know I asked silly questions.

I got a -1? Dang me! :P

In answer to your suggestion, I would hasten to say that most newbies are more curious as to how things operate here then anything else: Perhaps in this fast paced world we inhabit, the majority of newbies just havn't the time to post regularly, and/or their feelings on science simply lack the depth that others have, and consequently they are in and then out again. But also just as obviously, a percentage of them come here on agenda driven missions, that in essence are out to unjustly rubbish science and push/advertise their specific agenda.