Genetic philanthropy and the problems no one wants to talk about

Angelo_Maligno

I recently decided I was going to start a non-profit organization focused on using genetic engineering to solve world problems. I believe I started on out the wrong foot though as they say. No one wants to discuss the link between genetics and IQ. Should I push through this taboo subject or leave it be and pursue other kinds of genetic philanthropy like modified food crops? Some part of me says I should confront this rather than shy away from it. On the other hand no one seems to be interested in having a discussion anyway and it could damage the image of the non-profit. Would it be ethical at all to increase IQ genetically anyway? I know we haven't done all the research required but this could vastly improve outcomes in impoverished nations. I think it may be worth it if we can push past the taboo and truly improve the world. The question is do we have the gall to talk about it?

8 minutes ago, Angelo_Maligno said:

No one wants to discuss the link between genetics and IQ.

I have seen lots of studies on this (and it isn’t even a subject I know much about). 

9 minutes ago, Angelo_Maligno said:

I know we haven't done all the research required but this could vastly improve outcomes in impoverished nations.

The problems in developing countries are not to do with IQ. It is more to do with good government, corruption, education, health care, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

I have seen lots of studies on this (and it isn’t even a subject I know much about). 

The problems in developing countries are not to do with IQ. It is more to do with good government, corruption, education, health care, etc. 

It seems it's a general public thing. The scientific community has no problem discussing things.

What we have here is what I like to call an "entanglement of correlation" does the low IQ lead to the poor countries or do the poor countries lead to the low IQ? I don't believe we've been able to determine the precise answer. They may very well both be true to some extent.

1 minute ago, Angelo_Maligno said:

What we have here is what I like to call an "entanglement of correlation" does the low IQ lead to the poor countries or do the poor countries lead to the low IQ? I don't believe we've been able to determine the precise answer. They may very well both be true to some extent.

What evidence do you have for a connection between IQ and wealth of countries?

But if there is such a correlation, then poverty as a factor seems plausible. As far as I know, nutrition has a far greater effect on IQ than genetics does. 

19 minutes ago, Strange said:

What evidence do you have for a connection between IQ and wealth of countries?

What are you talking about? Go look at the studies for correlation between wealth and IQ. They're not hard to find. It's pretty well established people with lower IQ generally earn less.

22 minutes ago, Strange said:

But if there is such a correlation, then poverty as a factor seems plausible. As far as I know, nutrition has a far greater effect on IQ than genetics does. 

It's certainly a factor but official government numbers say genetics is 50% of IQ. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/intelligence

I've seen one expert claim IQ is as high as 80% genetic by the time you're 18. This number is less reliable though.

Nutrition and education is only half the battle.

11 minutes ago, Angelo_Maligno said:

What are you talking about? Go look at the studies for correlation between wealth and IQ. They're not hard to find. It's pretty well established people with lower IQ generally earn less.

It is up to you to provide support for your claims. You have also moved the goalposts. Reported as a sock puppet. 

55 minutes ago, Strange said:

It is up to you to provide support for your claims. You have also moved the goalposts. Reported as a sock puppet.

What goalpost did I move? You asked a question. If IQ and wealth correlates then country wealth and IQ correlates. It's not rocket science.

55 minutes ago, Strange said:

I must admit though IQ is not the only factor in an economy. Things like resources matter too. I would expect a strong correlation though given that wealth and IQ correlates.

Here's a book that deals with the subject. The theory has been explored to some extent. Not well mind you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_Global_Inequality

You might find it somewhere.

Edited by Angelo_Maligno
error

51 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Then you should have no problem citing evidence.

There appears to be a correlation but not for the reason I thought.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3950280/

It also appears I was fed false information at one point about how strongly they were correlated there is some correlation but not a strong correlation.

The study may show that people with high IQs go for maximal happiness which doesn't entirely rest on money.

I also found some research done into each states academic performance and wealth.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/67ad/691a925532dc7c3d3fcd521b404d16681ba5.pdf

That's my 5 posts. I'll be back tomorrow.

Edited by Angelo_Maligno
incomplete information

23 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Then you should have no problem citing evidence.

Ok, I'm back. I'll try to find more supporting evidence.

http://www1.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/health.pdf

I'm not the only one to speculate inequalities in Intelligence could account for social inequalities. General intelligence as measured in this paper points towards overall better outcomes for people with higher measured intelligence. These outcomes include health, wealth and overall happiness. Let's focus on a broader idea of intelligence though as this would more accurately predict outcomes.

Intelligence or g is a measure of human capital and therefore potential economic capital.

https://mh19870410.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/intelligence-education-and-economic-growth-a-bayesian-averaging-of-classical-estimates-bace-approach-jones-schneider-2006.pdf

I would say personality type matters as well. However I have yet to find literature regarding it's impact on economy.

Edited by Angelo_Maligno