Question about memory relating to the field

Hi, I heard that the brains maximum capacity is equivalent to 4 terabytes of storage. But if this is true, then how can someone have an eidetic memory, I read somewhere that someone thought memory was stored in the 0. Field(as the result of an experiment where then taught a rat a trick, put its brain in a blender, put it back, and it still remembered the trick), could it be because of that, because if so that seems very practical bc an average brain can of course store only the 4 terabytes.

This thread should be in Neuro Or Speculations. 

The full workings of memory are still being explored. Different people have different types of memories, and even within a single person there are different types of memories. 

Our brains are not computers. They are not hard drives. They are not discs or servers. They are collections of connections on a biological substrate; the memories themselves composed of a web of sometimes dense sometimes thin synaptic touchpoints coupled with a seemingly random electric charge / set of action potentials themselves triggered by chemistry. 

The brain is built to be scalable. Stop thinking in terms of terabytes and start thinking of experiences, situational cues, and emotional intensities. 

Prrhaos one day we’ll be able to use quantum computing to better model these interactions, but that day is not today and this thread does not being in the Quantum Theory forum. 

2 minutes ago, DrP said:

Ah - you syringe it back in through it's ears I suspect - the marvels of modern science eh? lol

I could see experimenting with feeding the brain to another rat to see if it knew the trick the first rat learned. That actually sounds familiar.

5 minutes ago, Aspiring physicist said:

Yes very interesting, but I will have a lot of time to figure out things like this when I have my own Ph.d

Note that if you manage to get a title, you do not get to do whatever you want. If you do not work for someone else, you would need to get funding to do research. A title in itself is only a certificate that allows you to apply for certain positions. 

Yes, that’s what I was referring to, I’ve had some unique and innovative views of many things and plan to work at a university. Or perhaps if I can get funding from that university I can get a group to help me conduct that research once I have an accurate theory formed. Thanks everyone for the feedback your input was very helpful.

15 hours ago, Aspiring physicist said:

I’ve had some unique and innovative views of many things

Awesome! Do yourself a favor and learn mainstream science before you do too much unique and innovative viewing. Otherwise you risk filling in gaps in your knowledge with subjective guesswork and wishful thinking.

There's really no such thing as thinking outside the box. The tools you need for innovation are inside the box, waiting for you to learn to use them. Best of luck!

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, Aspiring physicist said:

Yes very interesting, but I will have a lot of time to figure out things like this when I have my own Ph.d

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, CharonY said:

Note that if you manage to get a title, you do not get to do whatever you want.

Yea, a word of warning - you have to be careful with a Ph.D.....  people are constantly trying to eat your brains to make themselves more intelligent!