Holograms

PrimalMinister

2 hours ago, PrimalMinister said:

So what happens when we put our model in a computer to test? If you look at the source code of the simulation you will see there is more than quantum mechanics, this extra stuff explains how we enforce quantum mechanics in the virtual world. This extra stuff may actually shine some light on how the universe is doing it for real.

What do you think this extra stuff is? 

Why do you think the universe is like a simulation?

Why do you think the universe has rules?

why do you think those rules need to be enforced?

Who or what do you think is enforcing them?

Why will your next post not answer any questions and jump to a new topic?

58 minutes ago, Strange said:

Good questions @Strange, I would like to add one to your list:

Who or what have the ability to, or wants to, break the laws if enforcement is necessary?

@PrimalMinister please also answer my other question in this topic; your view is valuable when discussion your new questions regarding simulations.

Edited by Ghideon
last line was missing

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2018 at 9:02 AM, Strange said:

What do you think this extra stuff is? 

Why do you think the universe is like a simulation?

Why do you think the universe has rules?

Who or what do you think is enforcing them?

Why will your next post not answer any questions and jump to a new topic?

I don't know really, would have to look at the source code.

Scientists use computer models to simulate the universe.

The universe has rules and it follows them quite precisely.

The rules are enforced, if nothing was enforced we wouldn't have physics and so on, everything would just be arbitary.

I don't think they are being enforced by a whom, I think they are enforced by a physical process, which endlessly repeats itself.

I have answered them, I only really came here to find out the status of answers to certain questions because they change over time and depending on who you speak to.

On 09/10/2018 at 10:00 AM, Ghideon said:

Who or what have the ability to, or wants to, break the laws if enforcement is necessary?

I don't think anything can break the laws as such, they are fixed.

I said in my first post that I don't think people have really thought about this problem much, I know if you are doing a Phd it is likely to be on something else. But if you do ever ponder how the universe is actually enforcing all the rules we have mathematical models for, starting with empty space, there are not very many options (if we say God or magic is not an option).

Einstein said 'Imagination is more important that knowledge'.

The 'Rebuilding Americas Defences' report in too 9/11 said it was 'a failure of imagination'.

In a presentation to the Queen of the UK about the economic crisis it was reported to be a 'failure of imagination'.

The universe is evolving, adapting, but we only see a bit of it, when you see the whole of it, it is already at its maximum level of evolution, its never been less evolved, its only us that is less evolved.

You have to imagine the whole universe moving as one, with all the different things going on simultaneously, and look at what is common to everything. Then you get a picture of what underlies it all.

The laws of nature, of the universe, are enforced and that must be based on something, something physical.

1 hour ago, PrimalMinister said:

The universe has rules and it follows them quite precisely.

I think it might be more accurate to say that the universe behaves, as far as we can tell, in consistent ways. We then invent rules to try and describe this behaviour.

The rules are enforced, if nothing was enforced we wouldn't have physics and so on, everything would just be arbitary.

As I don't think the rules exist (except in our own minds) I don't think they need to be enforced.

I don't think they are being enforced by a whom, I think they are enforced by a physical process, which endlessly repeats itself.

Then what enforces that physical process? And what enforces that? And what enforces that?  And what ...

I don't think anything can break the laws as such, they are fixed.

If they can't break the laws, there is no need for anything to enforce them.

I said in my first post that I don't think people have really thought about this problem much

You are wrong. I have given you at least one reference to someone who has thought about it a great deal. Many others have thought of it.

Here is one example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unreasonable_Effectiveness_of_Mathematics_in_the_Natural_Sciences

And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis

Einstein said 'Imagination is more important that knowledge'.

This was not a defence of ignorance, although many people use it as that. Context is everything.

What Einstein was pointing out is that scientists have to be imaginative and creative as well as knowledgable and relying on experimental confirmation of ideas.

The universe is evolving, adapting, but we only see a bit of it, when you see the whole of it ...

As it is not possible to see the whole of it, this claim is entirely pointless.

The laws of nature, of the universe, are enforced and that must be based on something, something physical.

As this is a science forum: How would you test this idea? What would prove it wrong?