Logic

PrimalMinister

16 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

No, I guess I am asking if there is any logic behind its existance, or is it just a random accident? Or can you not say for sure? For instance, the big bang has no logic behind it.

The universe/space/time as far as we know, is just a random accident, and its evolution governed by the four forces and the laws of nature/physics, to which we have assigned, as dictated by 100's and 1000's of years of constant observation. eg: Newton's laws of motion etc.  And really, what do you  mean by the BB has no logic behind it? The laws of nature/physics is the logic behind the BB. Beyond the BB, and in line with what knowledge we already have, we can reasonably speculate as to how and why the universe/space/time probably arose from nothing. [Although perhaps a new definition of nothing is needed] 

https://www.astrosociety.org/publication/a-universe-from-nothing/

and

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0143-0807/11/4/008/meta

Abstract

It is commonly believed that the origin of the Universe must have involved the violation of natural laws, particularly energy conservation and the second law of thermodynamics. This need not have been the case, the present author shows that the Universe could have begun from a state of zero energy and maximum entropy, and then naturally evolved into what we see today without violating any known principles of physics. The fundamental particles and the force laws they obey then come about through a series of random symmetry-breaking phase transitions during the period of exponential expansion in the first fraction of a second after the Universe appears as a quantum fluctuation.

Edited by beecee

26 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

Logic is the art and science of reasoning, does the universe have reasons (logic) behind it existence?

I would say logic/reason is one of the tools we use to understand the universe. Suggesting there is logic behind the universe implies some sort of intelligence behind it. There is no evidence for that. 

24 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

Logic is the art and science of reasoning, does the universe have reasons (logic) behind it existence?

Existence, in the most general sense, is logical consistency. In this sense, the universe exists because it is identical to itself. And since it is impossible for it not to be identical to itself, it is impossible for it not to exist.

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Suggesting there is logic behind the universe implies some sort of intelligence behind it. There is no evidence for that. 

After three threads, all asking the same or similar philosophical questions, and the apparent ignoring of answers given, I suspect that this all may be leading to that very suggestion.

* keeping fingers crossed that I'm wrong though.

23 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

For instance, the big bang has no logic behind it.

This is a tip-off that you only studied it up to a point, didn't understand it, stopped studying it any further, and decided to make something up that made more sense to you. That is NOT logic. It's a very modern, very pop-sci version of logic, but it's not right. 

It's not good to fill in the gaps in your knowledge with stuff you've made up, or that others have made up with guesswork. It's clearly indefensible, it wastes your time when you could be learning mainstream science, and none of it has any evidence to support it the way the Big Bang theory does. 

13 minutes ago, Phi for All said:
42 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

For instance, the big bang has no logic behind it.

This is a tip-off that you only studied it up to a point, didn't understand it, stopped studying it any further, and decided to make something up that made more sense to you. That is NOT logic. It's a very modern, very pop-sci version of logic, but it's not right. 

It's not good to fill in the gaps in your knowledge with stuff you've made up, or that others have made up with guesswork. It's clearly indefensible, it wastes your time when you could be learning mainstream science, and none of it has any evidence to support it the way the Big Bang theory does. 

Phi, I've gotta say the OP is right.

The Big Bang has no logic behind it.

There is nothing (known) behind the Big Bang.

But what he didn't say is that all the logic is in front of it.

:)

Of course, I am using the same crackpot code he uses to place the Laws of Physics, to determine where exactly the logic is.

(You can only follow his variation of Scientific and ordinary English after 5 or more single malts.)