Home genetics

tempname123

For my schoolwork I am required to write a dissertation on something. I've been told to do it on whatever I am interested in taking a career in, so of course I chose genetics. My plan was to write my dissertation on the genetic modification of the human race, however I want to make sure I explore all of my options, which is why I am here. I have always been interesting in genetics, not for its power or its potential to better the world in which we inhabit, but instead, because of its fun applications and bizarre possibilities. Anyways, 

What could I do my dissertation on?

Also, instead of a dissertation there is an option to present some field work in the form of a scientific investigation, which I was interested in but passed off due to lack of ideas. 

What genetic investigations could I present? (if any)

Is it possible for me to genetically engineer an organism/culture of organisms at home? Like for instance making a species of fish able to glow in the dark? I know its already possible but would I be able to replicate it (or anything similar) at home?

Responses are greatly appreciated :)

If I were to make a suggestion it would be to keep it closer to reality. The reason being that you can a) find better science rather than speculative sources and b) it shows the teacher that you have given it some thought, especially if you can provide some details. The downsides are that it will be a bit dryer and less fantastic. The balance depends a bit on in which class you are.

So focusing along the lines of the application of genetic engineering in present rather than possibilities of the future? 

Also assume that I am able to write my dissertation (or investigation) on anything. Don't exclude possibilities over concern of my intelligence, or lack thereof.

Edited by tempname123